Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
44%

Total votes: 100

augie

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure?

Post by augie »

A11M11 wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:23 pm
Playing Willian in the middle has changed the dynamic.

He played him on the right of the front 3 buddy

augie

Post by augie »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:45 pm
In Arteta I trust 1000%. A revolution is starting boys and girls.

All fine and dandy, but when we had a bad spell I wonder will he still retain the support of the fans with xhaka and elninny in midfield, and saka being the waterboy :rubchin:
By all accounts maitland-niles, bellend and laca are all available for sale, and yet all 3 started yesterday :?

Lets also acknowledge that while yesterday was a very commanding and impressive performance for our first game of the season, it was against a team that is odds on to be relegated this season

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

He played him on the right of the front 3 buddy .

We played very narrow in midfield to allow the backs to get wide . Willian hardly had chalk on his boots and was coming inside . Elneny was protecting Xhaka and against a weaker Fulham midfielkd and making the middle quite secure whilst Willian was probing and really doing the kind of thing that we might have hoped Ozil would be doing .

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Lets also acknowledge that while yesterday was a very commanding and impressive performance for our first game of the season, it was against a team that is odds on to be relegated this season

So by normal standards we might have expected to drop points then.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

augie wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:00 am
nut flush gooner wrote:

All fine and dandy, but when we had a bad spell I wonder will he still retain the support of the fans with xhaka and elninny in midfield, and saka being the waterboy :rubchin:
By all accounts maitland-niles, bellend and laca are all available for sale, and yet all 3 started yesterday :?

Augie it's almost as if you are waiting for us to fail to prove a point. Yesterday wasn't about the opposition it was about building a platform, yes we will have tough phases during the season but this isn't a 6,12 or 18 month project its a 3 year one. And can you not acknowledge that during our succesful spells there were bang average players in the squad to fulfill a specific role (Kevin Richardson, David Hillier, Oleg Luzhny, Nelson Vivas etc etc). Arteta seems to see something in Elneny that makes him of use for the coming season, again we have to trust his judgement.

I would be highly surprised if these players are still at the club in 2 seasons time, that includes Xhaka.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Two seasons is hedging your bets . If they do the job that Arteta wants and we get nose bleeds and qualify for Champions league then apart from their value going up we will have more cash to replace them , so two years would be about right.
Yesterday Xhaka and Elneny did alright , their opposition wasn't great but there are a few teams of that standard in the league and cups and if they perform as well in those games they have a place in the squad.
Sure we can whistle at the moon and want Partey , Aouar but at present , he has what he has . If the cash ain't there we can't buy and making 10 million on Martinez and maybe a bit more on Torreira then looking under the mattress might get us one but I can't see the two.
Last edited by A11M11 on Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

augie

Post by augie »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:11 pm
augie wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:

Augie it's almost as if you are waiting for us to fail to prove a point. Yesterday wasn't about the opposition it was about building a platform, yes we will have tough phases during the season but this isn't a 6,12 or 18 month project its a 3 year one. And can you not acknowledge that during our succesful spells there were bang average players in the squad to fulfill a specific role (Kevin Richardson, David Hillier, Oleg Luzhny, Nelson Vivas etc etc). Arteta seems to see something in Elneny that makes him of use for the coming season, again we have to trust his judgement.

I would be highly surprised if these players are still at the club in 2 seasons time, that includes Xhaka.

A point I made yesterday on the match thread - I actually said that in some way yesterday could have been a harder game for us than for fulham cos a lack of preperation hurts footballers (us) more than workers (them), so I was happy with the professional attitude and performance we gave. What I am nowhere doing however, is getting way ahead of myself (the 1000% comment) on the back of 1 performance against a team very likely to go down.

The point I made about team selection is that arteta has better players at his disposal and yet is choosing to play grade A donkeys like xhaka and el ninny - are you telling me the fact that arteta views el ninny as better than ceballos, torreira and guendouzi doesnt concern you ? :shock: I dont know any other club in the top half of the league that would even consider picking xhaka in their first 11, and I doubt if there is a club in the league that would want el ninny :roll: For me saka is a million miles better than pepe, but yet arteta doesnt seem to rate him as highly given that he hasnt got a game in the cup semi final or final, and didnt get on yesterday either. As you know, I have real concerns that arteta doesnt believe or trust the young players and they are the easy ones to cast aside and this is another baffling decision imo

Btw, lumping richardson in with crazy horse luzhny, the luggage thief and vivas is beyond insulting - richardson came to us as an experienced player who had won a league and quietly did a great job for us

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

augie wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:29 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
augie wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:

A point I made yesterday on the match thread - I actually said that in some way yesterday could have been a harder game for us than for fulham cos a lack of preperation hurts footballers (us) more than workers (them), so I was happy with the professional attitude and performance we gave. What I am nowhere doing however, is getting way ahead of myself (the 1000% comment) on the back of 1 performance against a team very likely to go down.

The point I made about team selection is that arteta has better players at his disposal and yet is choosing to play grade A donkeys like xhaka and el ninny - are you telling me the fact that arteta views el ninny as better than ceballos, torreira and guendouzi doesnt concern you ? :shock: I dont know any other club in the top half of the league that would even consider picking xhaka in their first 11, and I doubt if there is a club in the league that would want el ninny :roll: For me saka is a million miles better than pepe, but yet arteta doesnt seem to rate him as highly given that he hasnt got a game in the cup semi final or final, and didnt get on yesterday either. As you know, I have real concerns that arteta doesnt believe or trust the young players and they are the easy ones to cast aside and this is another baffling decision imo

Btw, lumping richardson in with crazy horse luzhny, the luggage thief and vivas is beyond insulting - richardson came to us as an experienced player who had won a league and quietly did a great job for us
Augie he played the players he had for the positions he wanted them in and it worked, personally i'd rather have neither Elneny or Xhaka near the squad but it worked yesterday. He could have show-horned Saka in but exactly where was he going to play or maybe he should have dropped Willian who created two and arguably the third or dropped Laca who set us on the way and play fairly well as the hold up man. Some of your arguments against Arteta are valid but as Nutty said some of them are beginning to sound like petulant desperation for Arteta to fail at times just so you can say 'i told you so' :roll:

augie

Post by augie »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:41 pm
augie wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:29 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
augie wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:

Augie he played the players he had for the positions he wanted them in and it worked, personally i'd rather have neither Elneny or Xhaka near the squad but it worked yesterday. He could have show-horned Saka in but exactly where was he going to play or maybe he should have dropped Willian who created two and arguably the third or dropped Laca who set us on the way and play fairly well as the hold up man. Some of your arguments against Arteta are valid but as Nutty said some of them are beginning to sound like petulant desperation for Arteta to fail at times just so you can say 'i told you so' :roll:

Last season the common feeling was that arteta's favoured formation involved a back 4 in a 4-2-1-3 system, but I'm not sure if that is the case anymore. For me that system puts KT in his proper left full position, puts will i am in the advanced midfield position, and then puts saka in the front 3.
Willian played well yesterday no doubt, and nobody can deny his ability, but I have to be honest that I am 100% against his signing if it marginalise's (sp :oops: ) saka (and to a lesser degree nelson). I dont expect to challenge for the top trophies straight away so am not placing that pressure or demands on arteta - what I am expecting is for the manager to rebuild the team around young players who in 2 or 3 seasons time will be serious challengers for the big prizes, and he wont do that if he casts aside those younger players in favour of a short term fix

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

We have had a few "I told you so" merchants on here but augie ain't one of them. And I've butted heads with him on numerous occasions God knows - but one thing I've never sensed with augie is an ego-driven agenda.

A bit unfair lads.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:15 pm
We have had a few "I told you so" merchants on here but augie ain't one of them. And I've butted heads with him on numerous occasions God knows - but one thing I've never sensed with augie is an ego-driven agenda.

A bit unfair lads.
100% DB, he’s just a miserable pessimistic old c u n t :wink: :lol:
Fuck me ! i thought I was bad :lol:

augie

Post by augie »

goonersid wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:26 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:

A bit unfair lads.

You were 100% right :lol: :lol:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

augie wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:31 pm
goonersid wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:26 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:

A bit unfair lads.

You were 100% right :lol: :lol:
I’m a born again optimist! :barscarf:

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:

A bit unfair lads.
Tbh your right here DB10, but I find it hard coming onto this forum when despite whats happened over the last three months its still doom and gloom. I think forums may not be the thing they once were, with Facebook and Whatsapp groups starting to spring up and it's amazing the contrast in sentiment. We have a WhatsApp group of 14 most of whom season ticket holders, yet the vibe from that group is that Arteta is a man we really do trust and back 100%. The club took a gamble with him, and honestly, I can't think of another manager I would rather have right now.

Still, a lot of work to do but is it really a crime to be optimistic for a change that things are improving.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

I sincerely hope Arteta spends the next decade making me look like a mug for writing him off.

Fulham are dreadful but we were very good in a no-fuss way.