ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
nut flush gooner

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by nut flush gooner »

Ray C wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:16 am
At last someone who can kick the opposition - just what we need !. Can he create anything ??. Otherwise he's another Xer. So we're stuck with Celeboss as our main man in midfield. The rest of the league must be laughing. Still don't think we'll finish in the top half of the table. 10th if we're lucky. :barscarf: :barscarf:
He's box to box and a CDM, will take a lot of pressure off the other midfielders.

Do you think we will be 10th? Sometimes the pessimism of our fans pisses me off almost as much as the arrogance of the spuds. But I am sure it's only this forum bunch of miserable bastards.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Delighted with the incomings, dismayed by the lack of outgoings.

My brain hurts every time I think of the 8 well paid central defenders we have in our bloated squad :?

augie

Post by augie »

Big standout from the transfer window for me is the inability to get rid of the shit that is currently stealing a living from us - I said all along that for me this window would be judged more on who we got rid of than who we signed, and sadly the only 2 we got rid of was 2 players that I actually rate :cry: :cry:

There is a scene in the movie forrest gump where he is on a chat show and everytime he talks he is interrupted by john lennon and forest keeps looking over at him with a "who the fcuk is this guy" look - on transfer centre last night the old twitcher was talking and he was interrupted by some bird co-hosting the programme and he had that same "who the fcuk is this one" type of look. I found it hilarious :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jim White totally pissed me off last night - on several occasions last night he said that the signing of partey was proof that the kroenkes have shown their commitment and willingness to spend, and it totally ignored the fact that the money was raised through sales and loan fee's :roll: C.unt should actually research what he is saying before sucking american cock :evil: :evil:

The lack of a creative midfielder could be a serious issue going forward, but it will all depend on the system we use. A midfield 3 with willian or smith-rowe playing in front of partey and elneny could do the job, but a 3-4-3 formation will not work

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

The only problem with that augie is Smith-Rowe has looked equal parts brilliant and gash in the little we've seen of him so he is totally unproven in the PL and Willian is very obviously just another chav after a late payday at the end of his career and would amaze me if he ever lifts his game beyond average while he is with us. :roll:

Add to that Partey maybe not settling into the PL for months maybe not until next season and tbh no matter what formation we play you cannot win enough PL games without a creator in the middle to challenge much beyond 5th or 4th. Maybe.

Options?

Ceballos is Ozil-lite. Has moments of brilliance but can just as easily be totally anonymous. Willock? Forget it.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Agree that it's disappointing not to offload more of the shite but on a positive note the next window isn't an eternity away - January 2nd - so here's hoping a few more can be fucked out the door then.

Gunnerz4life

Post by Gunnerz4life »

I think this has been a decent transfer window, addition of an attacking midfielder would have made it an excellent one. Partey though isn't the archetypical DM who will just sit in front of the back four, he can carry the ball and be a box to box midfielder. Maybe the addition of Partey and Gabriel will allow us to play with a back 4 and have that one extra creative player in the midfield which can address the creativity issues to an extent.

It's a shame we could not get rid of any of the dross but you have to take into account many of them are either injured, or on high wages, or on the last year of their contract. It will be unfair to blame the current management for not being able to get rid of them.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:30 am
The only problem with that augie is Smith-Rowe has looked equal parts brilliant and gash in the little we've seen of him so he is totally unproven in the PL and Willian is very obviously just another chav after a late payday at the end of his career and would amaze me if he ever lifts his game beyond average while he is with us. :roll:

Add to that Partey maybe not settling into the PL for months maybe not until next season and tbh no matter what formation we play you cannot win enough PL games without a creator in the middle to challenge much beyond 5th or 4th. Maybe.

Options?

Ceballos is Ozil-lite. Has moments of brilliance but can just as easily be totally anonymous. Willock? Forget it.
Mostly agree mate, But at least Ceballos can moved faster than an idle trot - which has been Ozil's ab-so-lute- fuckinn limit...

Even Gunnersaurus with his size 22 boots moves quicker than the german/turkish Marty Feldman :D

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Like others I am disappointed that the dross wasn't removed, but as someone said the wages they are on for their lack of ability makes them impossible to move on. Kolasnic came closest to moving, not sure what caused the break down, wages possibly.
I do rate Guendouzi and do agree that he could have had a future in the game at Arsenal. However we can only speculate what happened between him.and the manager. It was definitely more than the Brighton incident.
Ozil has no morals, he is fully entitled to sit and draw his £350k a week without playing. But surely if he had an ounce of morality in him he would see how wrong it is. ? An agreed contract termination and pay off would have been acceptable for Arsenal I think.
Atletico Madrid are unhappy with Arsenal and they say the relationship between the two clubs is irreparable. Well Atletico, you put the buy out clause on him under your association's rules. Arsenal triggered that to the letter of the law..Go cry on your neighbour's and Barcelona's shoulder .Ask them to explain underhand transfers to you.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

g88ner wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:36 am
Delighted with the incomings, dismayed by the lack of outgoings.

My brain hurts every time I think of the 8 well paid central defenders we have in our bloated squad :?
i saw something on twatter saying we have 19 non homegrown players and can only register 17. this means unless we shift players out to the efl (we wont as wages too high) we have 2 who wont be able to play as i understand it.

the way things are i see it being ozil and sokratis (which iso dd that we didnt let sok go to psg) but would hope its mustafi and kola as they are woeful

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

I never sit on my contract.

“I don’t care. If I’m not happy, I don’t play enough or the coach doesn’t like me, I don’t care about the contract.

“For me the money is not important, it is important I feel good, I feel happy and the team is happy with me. If not, I take the road and I finish.

“I don’t think about it, I think every day to be happy and help the team and in the end we will see but what I say is that I am not a player who sits on a contract – I don’t need it.”
Sokratis at the beginning of the window :roll:

augie

Post by augie »

rodders999 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:31 am
I never sit on my contract.

“I don’t care. If I’m not happy, I don’t play enough or the coach doesn’t like me, I don’t care about the contract.

“For me the money is not important, it is important I feel good, I feel happy and the team is happy with me. If not, I take the road and I finish.

“I don’t think about it, I think every day to be happy and help the team and in the end we will see but what I say is that I am not a player who sits on a contract – I don’t need it.”
Sokratis at the beginning of the window :roll:

To be fair to the guy rodders, it was the club that turned down the approach from psg - not sure why you putting this on sokratis cos you said it last night too, and the guy has never said anything that suggests he is not open to going elsewhere :?

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:30 am

Options?

Role reversal here my good man - if I posted that piece of negativity I would be strung up here :lol: :lol:

Smith-rowe is an inexperienced kid - we are going to have ups and downs with him, but I really think that he has looked really promising. Willian is indeed a chav solely interested in a last payday, but we need one of them to play the attacking creative role (I shake my head in absolute disbelief when I see people still suggesting ozil on here :roll: ).

augie

Post by augie »

Gunnerz4life wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:44 am
I think this has been a decent transfer window, addition of an attacking midfielder would have made it an excellent one. Partey though isn't the archetypical DM who will just sit in front of the back four, he can carry the ball and be a box to box midfielder. Maybe the addition of Partey and Gabriel will allow us to play with a back 4 and have that one extra creative player in the midfield which can address the creativity issues to an extent.

It's a shame we could not get rid of any of the dross but you have to take into account many of them are either injured, or on high wages, or on the last year of their contract. It will be unfair to blame the current management for not being able to get rid of them.

We have enough c.unts trying to do that - we need a big physical guy to sit in front of our back and break up opposition attacks. If he wants to be a creator or box to box midfielder, then he can fcuk back to where he came from :evil: .
We have had a shocking need at cdm for years and now that we buy one, people are trying to turn him into a different type of player :roll:

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Partey will play as Arteta wants him to . He has been bought to add steel to our midfield ,We should not pigeon hole him into any position until we see how he is used.

Gunnerz4life

Post by Gunnerz4life »

augie wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:00 am
Gunnerz4life wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:44 am

We have enough c.unts trying to do that - we need a big physical guy to sit in front of our back and break up opposition attacks. If he wants to be a creator or box to box midfielder, then he can fcuk back to where he came from :evil: .
We have had a shocking need at cdm for years and now that we buy one, people are trying to turn him into a different type of player :roll:
Don't get me wrong, Partey can play that role, he can tackle and be disciplined, however he has attributes of a modern all action CDM who is athletic, can carry the ball and is a decent enough passer. I kind of feel that a DM in the mould that you mention, a Makalele type player is a dying breed. More and more modern managers looking to play possession based football prefer more dynamic CDMs and Arteta is no different and that is one reason why Torreira was let go.