ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
the playing mantis

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by the playing mantis »

Portuguese and russian windows still open so maybe we can shift some deadwood htere, although not seeing any rumours. we will have 2 big earners not eligible to play if not i believe. given the homegrown player rule i mentioned in earlier post.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

augie wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:53 am
rodders999 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:31 am
I never sit on my contract.

“I don’t care. If I’m not happy, I don’t play enough or the coach doesn’t like me, I don’t care about the contract.

“For me the money is not important, it is important I feel good, I feel happy and the team is happy with me. If not, I take the road and I finish.

“I don’t think about it, I think every day to be happy and help the team and in the end we will see but what I say is that I am not a player who sits on a contract – I don’t need it.”
Sokratis at the beginning of the window :roll:

To be fair to the guy rodders, it was the club that turned down the approach from psg - not sure why you putting this on sokratis cos you said it last night too, and the guy has never said anything that suggests he is not open to going elsewhere :?
I'm probably being a bit harsh on him Augie but if you want out you can get out. Guendouzi wanted out and he got away as did Torreira. Mikhitarian didn't want to come back and he got out. With Ozil it's the complete opposite, he has no interest in going somewhere to play ball he's happy to just kill a year of his career doing fuck all here and so be it - he doesn't pretend otherwise.

But I thought it was admirable for Sokratis to come out and say that it's not all about the money, that he just wants to play and that'd he'd leave in order to do so rather than sit on his arse doing nothing for the season. I think a lot of us can relate to that so for him to still be here is a disappointment.

Who knows what happened with the PSG interest, it seemed to come out of nowhere and hopefully we may hear why it never happened (or if it was ever serious to begin with) but if he had really wanted out he could have gotten out, that's my only gripe.

augie

Post by augie »

There was I thinking that somebody in the club had had the good sense to scrap the ludicrous plan of loaning saliba back to a french club, but no they didnt cos it turns out that we were indeed sending him back only the paperwork wasnt done in time :roll:

Clueless b..astards :censored: :censored: :censored:

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

augie wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:00 pm
There was I thinking that somebody in the club had had the good sense to scrap the ludicrous plan of loaning saliba back to a french club, but no they didnt cos it turns out that we were indeed sending him back only the paperwork wasnt done in time :roll:

Clueless b..astards :censored: :censored: :censored:
Rumours Saliba may be loaned to a championship club now to get a full season under his belt.
It would be quite the story if Ozil isn't registered, could we then force him to accept a pay off?
The two not registered may play in Europa instead
There's a story doing the rounds that our offer was accepted for auroua but at eth last minute his brother(agent) demanded an extortionate fee and we pulled out , don't know if it has legs though.

Got to be happy with that window given the circumstances , at least we are safe in the knowledge most of the deadwood are in their final year and expect a couple to go in 10 weeks time as well.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

If Marty (Ozil) Feldman does pay Gunnersaurus' wages it'll be like a new signing. :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

I've just seen this piece in the Daily Telegraph about Partey. Sounds very much like we might have found a replacement for Vieira after 15 years.

In the early days of his Atletico Madrid career, Thomas Partey would often hear the same message from Diego Simeone, repeated to him over and over again. “He always tells me that I have all the potential to be a great footballer, but I need to work harder,” Partey said in the summer of 2016. “If I have the talent but don’t work harder, I can’t make it. That is the advice he gives me, all the time.”

When Simeone tells you to do something, it is wise to listen. And Partey did just that, knuckling down and gradually earning his manager’s trust over the coming months. Within two years of the interview in 2016, he was a regular of Simeone’s snarling Atletico side. Not long after that, he was considered by many to be the beating heart of the team.

“I could say so many things about Thomas,” said Simeone in October 2019. “If he had come from an English or German team, he would be [lauded]. But he is from the academy, and he is just Thomas. He has been working hard for many years, non-stop.”

Partey’s passion for grafting will certainly please Mikel Arteta, his new manager at Arsenal. He may have arrived for an eye-watering £45 million on deadline day but Partey will still be expected to roll up his sleeves and grind as hard as anyone in north London, where Arteta demands 100 per cent commitment, 100 per cent of the time.

It is a new challenge for the 27-year-old, who has come too far to allow this change of clubs to derail his momentum. In his own words, the Ghanaian believes he has had to work harder than any European player to get to this stage of his career. “The most important is to have the talent,” he told CNN earlier this year. “But then there is already a European in your position. You have to work harder than them, double or triple as hard. That is the only way for African players to be successful in Europe.”

The hard work started early for Partey, who grew up as one of eight siblings in the Ghanaian town of Krobo Odumase. His father Jacob was a football coach — “I called him dad and all the other players called him coach,” Partey told CitiSports — who also doubled up as his son’s unofficial personal trainer. They would train individually before group sessions and together they would run up the hills close to their home, building the power in his legs.

Partey was just 10 years old when he left home for the larger town of Ashaiman. There he played for Tema Youth until 2011, when a Spanish agent arranged for him to trial at Atletico. The following chapter of his story is a remarkable insight into both his strength of will and the sacrifices that must often be made by African players in pursuit of the European dream.

Partey did not want his club to know that he could be leaving for Spain, so he told no one of the trial. On the day he left Ghana, not even his own family knew where he had gone. “I got into a car, they took me to the capital and gave me a passport and said: ‘today you travel,’” Partey told Marca in 2018.

His father was not totally surprised, though, as he knew of the possibility of a trial in Spain. Partey only learned later, when he was told by his agent, that his father had sold some of his own possessions in order to pay for new boots for his son. “My father never wanted to say anything because he knew I would not accept it,” Partey said.

Once in Spain, Partey’s obvious technical and physical gifts helped him to stand out, even though he needed time to adapt to the colder weather. Atletico signed him up and soon loaned him to Mallorca, in the second division. There he played 38 matches, impressing so much that he became known as the “octopus” because of the way his ranging limbs would win back possession. In memory of that loan, he has a tattoo of an octopus inked onto his arm. 

Another loan followed, this time at Almeria, before he was brought back into the fold at Atletico for the 2015/16 campaign, when he was 22. He made 13 league appearances that season, and then 16 in the following year, before fully establishing himself from 2017 onwards as one of Spain’s most dynamic, aggressive midfielders.

In his youth, Partey would model his game on two of the modern greats of African football. “I was looking up to Michael Essien,” he told the BBC in 2018. “I tried to be like a stopper, using the intelligence of Essien. Attacking, I use the strength of Yaya Toure.”

Arsenal have been desperate for more physical power in the midfield, but Partey is not just a destroyer. He can play, too. “Thomas has all the right attributes to be a top player for Arsenal,” said Edu, Arsenal’s technical director. “He is a leader on and off the pitch. With his all-round game and positive aggressive style, he will be a brilliant addition to our squad.”

Since August 2017, Partey has ranked in the top 10 for midfielders in the following statistical categories in La Liga: dribbles completed, tackles won, interceptions, ball recoveries and goals from outside the box. The numbers illustrate what the eyes can see: that this is an all-round titan of the midfield, capable of shutting down attacks and breaking through opposition lines.

For Arteta, perhaps the most exciting aspect of his signing is that he offers a completely different option to the current midfielders in Arsenal’s squad. None of Granit Xhaka, Mohamed Elneny or Dani Ceballos can compete with Partey when it comes to physical attributes or defensive qualities.

Last season Partey won more tackles, made more interceptions and completed more dribbles than any of Arsenal’s current central midfield players. He also won more than 63 per cent of his duels — by contrast, Xhaka and Ceballos won 49.4 per cent and 49.6 per cent respectively. So often derided as soft, Arsenal will not be quite so easy to intimidate with Partey in the team.

“He is a dynamic midfielder with great energy,” said Arteta. “We are very impressed with his attitude and his approach to the game. He is an intelligent footballer and we are looking forward to him integrating into our system.”

In each of the past three seasons, Partey has made more than 40 appearances for Atletico Madrid, becoming one of the pillars of Simeone’s team. Kieran Trippier, the England international and Partey’s Atletico team-mate, has described him as one of the best midfielders he has ever played with. 

“I had seen him play for Atletico but I did not realise how good he is,” Trippier told the Beautiful Game podcast. “It is unbelievable, his physicality, how he breaks up play. Technically he has got everything.”

Unlike some of Arsenal’s talented younger signings in recent years, Partey is ready for action now. He arrives as a player at his peak, primed to make an instant impact as a potential game-changer for Arsenal’s midfield. The hard work continues here.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:45 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:30 am
The only problem with that augie is Smith-Rowe has looked equal parts brilliant and gash in the little we've seen of him so he is totally unproven in the PL and Willian is very obviously just another chav after a late payday at the end of his career and would amaze me if he ever lifts his game beyond average while he is with us. :roll:

Add to that Partey maybe not settling into the PL for months maybe not until next season and tbh no matter what formation we play you cannot win enough PL games without a creator in the middle to challenge much beyond 5th or 4th. Maybe.

Options?

Ceballos is Ozil-lite. Has moments of brilliance but can just as easily be totally anonymous. Willock? Forget it.
Mostly agree mate, But at least Ceballos can moved faster than an idle trot - which has been Ozil's ab-so-lute- fuckinn limit...

Even Gunnersaurus with his size 22 boots moves quicker than the german/turkish Marty Feldman :D

:lol: :lol: Quality line, made me fucking laugh.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Gunnerz4life wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:44 am
I think this has been a decent transfer window, addition of an attacking midfielder would have made it an excellent one. Partey though isn't the archetypical DM who will just sit in front of the back four, he can carry the ball and be a box to box midfielder. Maybe the addition of Partey and Gabriel will allow us to play with a back 4 and have that one extra creative player in the midfield which can address the creativity issues to an extent.

It's a shame we could not get rid of any of the dross but you have to take into account many of them are either injured, or on high wages, or on the last year of their contract. It will be unfair to blame the current management for not being able to get rid of them.

This is on the money. Apparently from an ITK (yeah, I know, but trust me he is) not only were we being low balled on fees (not sure how you can be low balled for some of our dross mind), we were being asked to contribute to the inflated wages of players we wanted to sell !! Imagine that, having to keep paying towards a bloke who you no longer own.

Just part of the absolute mess that those horrible fuckers Wenger and Gazidis left us to clear up. I'll never forgive the French *word censored*. His cold, bony hand still haunts us.

:cussing: :cussing:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

A11M11 wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:43 pm
They played poker and lost. Should have included Torreira in the deal two weeks ago and had time to replace Partey.
Exactly, they stuck to their guns of release clause in full only, so that’s what we did.
There’s no agreement to say when it had to be paid.

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:38 am
Great signings this summer!

But it doesn’t mean we will win the league.
It does give us a chance if a top 4 finish though hopefully..
I think we can certainly claim 4th behind LiverpooLLL , City and Chelsea

Spuds, Mancs, Leicester all beatable home and away now :barscarf:

Everton have strengthen well but too soon for them to be in top 4.

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

g88ner wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:36 am
Delighted with the incomings, dismayed by the lack of outgoings.

My brain hurts every time I think of the 8 well paid central defenders we have in our bloated squad :?
I think players can still go out on loan, so we may well shift another one or two in due course ?

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Reading today that Atletico Madrid are unhappy with Arsenal and will never do business with us again???
So, it's okay for their manager to phone our contracted player to try and persuade him to move to their club. Thought tapping up a player was banned. Never mind, it'll be interesting to see how they deal with us when torreira loan has finished and they want to buy him.

I get why Arteta want's to loan out Saliba. I'd be happier if it was a championship club rather than St.Etienne again. Norwich need a CB after selling Godfrey to Everton. They play a similar style of football to us so it would be good grounding for him. Saliba is 7th or 8th down the CB line so we'd need some incredible bad luck with injuries for him to get a start, although last week when Luiz, Mustafi, Mari, and Chambers, were out injured he was still behind Tierney and Kolasinac, not to mention Sokratis so maybe Arteta doesn't think he's ready for the Premier League and being cautious with him.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:53 am
Nos89 mate what in God's name are you smoking? We have a team capable of scrapping for top 4 - and probably 15 to 20 points off the eventual champions. I'm all for positivity mate but let's be pragmatic too.
Must be the insomnia kicking in. Think I mentioned it on a different thread about winning the league by grinding out consistent and expectant scorelines, given that LFC got spanked by Villa, Manure spanked by spurds, spurds got beat by everton, city got spanked by leicester and leicester got spanked by shammers. We beat fulham, sheffield united and west ham, lost at liverpool. Exactly, the results and scorelines you'd expect us to get. No frivolity with Arteta's Arsenal. This title race is going to be the most open one in years, that is until the fans are allowed back in. Then its a different ball game.

Don't think villa would've have scored 7 had their supporters been in the ground. They probably would have lost it 4-3. Pleased we've got the next four games behind closed doors. Shame it couldn't be away at leeds and sheffield united because our players will bottle when we play in front of their home suppport.

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:04 pm
Reading today that Atletico Madrid are unhappy with Arsenal and will never do business with us again???
So, it's okay for their manager to phone our contracted player to try and persuade him to move to their club. Thought tapping up a player was banned. Never mind, it'll be interesting to see how they deal with us when torreira loan has finished and they want to buy him.

I get why Arteta want's to loan out Saliba. I'd be happier if it was a championship club rather than St.Etienne again. Norwich need a CB after selling Godfrey to Everton. They play a similar style of football to us so it would be good grounding for him. Saliba is 7th or 8th down the CB line so we'd need some incredible bad luck with injuries for him to get a start, although last week when Luiz, Mustafi, Mari, and Chambers, were out injured he was still behind Tierney and Kolasinac, not to mention Sokratis so maybe Arteta doesn't think he's ready for the Premier League and being cautious with him.

In whose eyes ?? If he isnt better than mustafi, kolasniac, holding and tierney (at centre back),and possibly mari (havent seen enough to judge him) then why the fcuk did we spunk that amount of money on him ?? :? I dont know how good saliba is yet, but imo we wont know until we play him and the league cup and europa league is the perfect place to play him for now. If he is any good at all he should be no lower than 3rd or 4th choice in our squad, and I wouldnt support loaning him out (especially to a non english team) unless there is a recall option

wibble

Post by wibble »

augie wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:35 am
Nos89 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:04 pm

In whose eyes ?? If he isnt better than mustafi, kolasniac, holding and tierney (at centre back),and possibly mari (havent seen enough to judge him) then why the fcuk did we spunk that amount of money on him ?? :? I dont know how good saliba is yet, but imo we wont know until we play him and the league cup and europa league is the perfect place to play him for now. If he is any good at all he should be no lower than 3rd or 4th choice in our squad, and I wouldnt support loaning him out (especially to a non english team) unless there is a recall option
Exactly this. Why spend £27m on a 7th or 8th choice centre back? And if he is worse than mustafi et al then forget loaning him, just get him out the club!

Even trying to loan him out again is worrying