ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Ray C

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by Ray C »

Just watched a highlights package of Partey & loved it. He seems to have it all. Big, strong, fast can tackle, pass & carry the ball. He also reads the game well - which makes a change for an Arsenal midfielder !. Could be the best we've had since Patrick V. Look forward to his first game in the red / white. :barscarf: :barscarf:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

The Athletic say the Kroenkes provided funds to meet Partey’s release clause as a show of their confidence in Arteta. They wanted to prove they can back him, back his ideas for team building, & back his ambition to return #Arsenal to the Champions League. https://t.co/CHQji6yDqv

Kingralph

Post by Kingralph »

Ray C wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:12 pm
Just watched a highlights package of Partey & loved it. He seems to have it all. Big, strong, fast can tackle, pass & carry the ball. He also reads the game well - which makes a change for an Arsenal midfielder !. Could be the best we've had since Patrick V. Look forward to his first game in the red / white. :barscarf: :barscarf:
Makes you wonder why no other club tried to sign him, especially knowing precisely how much it would have cost them to do so....

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Well we signed a player - and a decent one at that in a position where we are threadbare. One only hopes that this means Elneny will take his spot alongside Partey, Ceballos moves a bit further forward and the gormless dollop of Swiss turd is finally fucked off to the sidelines

One of the biggest reservations/criticisms I had of Arteta, was us trying to play Barcelona/Man City football with a squad of joe averages. I desperately wanted to see a manager who grasped the fact that we needed to go back to a GG model of being hard to beat first, with a sprinkling of talent to win you games.......not some Wengerball maniacs delighting in 70% possession and getting rimmed by the big clubs, and softened up by the tough nuts

The Partey signing fits in with that model, and I'm delighted. It would have been nice to add an Aouar and our great teams have always had a 10+ goals CM in their ranks and that is a serious missing part of the jigsaw. However, GG proved that pragmatism can win, and as long as our modern superfans get their heads round the fact there will be more home games like West Ham and Sheffield United (6 points but with long periods of sterile, tactical football) and less like the Wenger 2006-2014 period of all style, no substance......the better!

Lets be hard to beat. Play to a style that suits the crop of players - hope it gets us moving upwards and add to it when the time is right. Arteta is giving me some encouragement in that regard in recent times. I don't want illusionary domination, or commentators licking his arse for playing lovely football. I want a team that varies its approach depending on the opposition, doesn't get consistently torn a new one by the big 4, and doesn't fade away when it really matters. We aren't anywhere near as good as Liverpool or City over 38 games - but we could be competing with most of the others

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Wilshere close to joining Stevie Me up north.

He'll have fun on those plastic pitches

Midz

Post by Midz »

How Arsenal could still sign this creative midfield transfer target this week

https://fresharsenal.com/how-arsenal-co ... this-week/

There may or may not be anything in this story but it's an interesting thought.

Midz

Post by Midz »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:12 pm

One of the rags was saying that he might be coming back to Arsenal. I fucking hope not. He's an injury prone wage-drain which is unfortunate for him but we don't want or need him back with us.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Midz wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:25 pm
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:12 pm

One of the rags was saying that he might be coming back to Arsenal. I fucking hope not. He's an injury prone wage-drain which is unfortunate for him but we don't want or need him back with us.
We've enough wage drainers already. Scotland is probably the best place for him but I'm surprised no championship club came in for him.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:52 pm
Well we signed a player - and a decent one at that in a position where we are threadbare. One only hopes that this means Elneny will take his spot alongside Partey, Ceballos moves a bit further forward and the gormless dollop of Swiss turd is finally fucked off to the sidelines

One of the biggest reservations/criticisms I had of Arteta, was us trying to play Barcelona/Man City football with a squad of joe averages. I desperately wanted to see a manager who grasped the fact that we needed to go back to a GG model of being hard to beat first, with a sprinkling of talent to win you games.......not some Wengerball maniacs delighting in 70% possession and getting rimmed by the big clubs, and softened up by the tough nuts

The Partey signing fits in with that model, and I'm delighted. It would have been nice to add an Aouar and our great teams have always had a 10+ goals CM in their ranks and that is a serious missing part of the jigsaw. However, GG proved that pragmatism can win, and as long as our modern superfans get their heads round the fact there will be more home games like West Ham and Sheffield United (6 points but with long periods of sterile, tactical football) and less like the Wenger 2006-2014 period of all style, no substance......the better!

Lets be hard to beat. Play to a style that suits the crop of players - hope it gets us moving upwards and add to it when the time is right. Arteta is giving me some encouragement in that regard in recent times. I don't want illusionary domination, or commentators licking his arse for playing lovely football. I want a team that varies its approach depending on the opposition, doesn't get consistently torn a new one by the big 4, and doesn't fade away when it really matters. We aren't anywhere near as good as Liverpool or City over 38 games - but we could be competing with most of the others
Cant disagree with any of that SteveO, but i'd also add this season is going to be a tough watch quite often and there will likely be upsets along the way and people need to be realistic about it. The compressed season means more rotation and being brutally honest in the main our squad players are mediocre to say the least. Arteta needs to be pragmatic and realise he cant unfortunately, with this squad, cover all bases so he needs to ensure the youngsters get plenty of game time whilst still in 'lesser' priority competitions or when the opposition is eminently beatable.

augie

Post by augie »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:11 pm
The Athletic say the Kroenkes provided funds to meet Partey’s release clause as a show of their confidence in Arteta. They wanted to prove they can back him, back his ideas for team building, & back his ambition to return #Arsenal to the Champions League. https://t.co/CHQji6yDqv

If they really wanted to show their support they should have thrown in another £40m so that we could have got Aouar as well :roll:

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Unfortunately I can’t see any way Xhaka is being dropped. I imagine we could have got 20-25m for him if he left but no-one even mentioned the possibility of him going. ElNanny will be out (not sad about that)! I think Arteta sees Xhaka as ‘creative’ and a good leader :lol: so we’re stuck with the lump of shite.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

The only talent I can imagine that Xhakatard has is the ability to deep throat a manager's cock whilst simultaneously slipping his tongue around to feverishly lick the back of the balls. :rubchin:

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:48 am
The only talent I can imagine that Xhakatard has is the ability to deep throat a manager's cock whilst simultaneously slipping his tongue around to feverishly lick the back of the balls. :rubchin:
you seem to have put a worrying and suspicious amount of "imagining" there...

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

I must say I'm very intrigued by this.

If someone would like to preform said act on me please send a PM post haste 8)

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Can anyone prove that is not the case? I mean there has to be SOME reason the gormless pubber keeps getting picked.

I'm also now starting to think he knows his way around a prostate gland as well tbh. :shock: