CoronaVirus / Adolf Putin / The Apocalypse etc

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SteveO 35

Re: CoronaVirus Latest

Post by SteveO 35 »

goonersid wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:46 pm
At last, I see over 6000 medical experts have joined in a global protest against lockdowns and called for attention to be switched to protecting the vulnerable, whilst allowing the rest of us to get on with our lives.
Of the 42,000+ people who have died on these shores from the virus, I heard a stat 2 weeks ago that 307 were aged under 60 and without underlying health conditions......yet here we are about to go into further lockdowns, destroy large sections of the economy, put millions into unemployment, and increase the social divide

We lost someone close to us at the start of all this and when we had no information on the virus, we needed to do what we needed to do, and in no way am I cheapening life......but isn't this all a bit disproportionate now given what we know?

Just as the elderly are more at risk from normal flu, pneumonia etc...so they are with this virus

30,000 odd people supposedly die from pollution - have we banned all petrol/diesel cars immediately and told the entire population not to drive because they put the vulnerable at risk? No
18m people a year globally die from cardiovascular illness - have we banned all fatty foods? No
30,000 people in the UK are injured in road accidents of which 2,000+ die every year - again have we banned cars? No

We were told we would need to live with this virus, but it seems increasingly like 'living' means doing nothing that anyone enjoys - no holidays, no cinema, no pub, no sport.

Most economists I know are predicting a vaccine approved in Q1 2021, and widespread vaccination in Q2/Q3. Are we supposed to shut everything, live in a cave and have the Government pay everyone's wages for another 9-12 months?

Our kids will be working till their 85 at this rate.....

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:02 pm
goonersid wrote:
At last, I see over 6000 medical experts have joined in a global protest against lockdowns and called for attention to be switched to protecting the vulnerable, whilst allowing the rest of us to get on with our lives.
Of the 42,000+ people who have died on these shores from the virus, I heard a stat 2 weeks ago that 307 were aged under 60 and without underlying health conditions......yet here we are about to go into further lockdowns, destroy large sections of the economy, put millions into unemployment, and increase the social divide

We lost someone close to us at the start of all this and when we had no information on the virus, we needed to do what we needed to do, and in no way am I cheapening life......but isn't this all a bit disproportionate now given what we know?

Just as the elderly are more at risk from normal flu, pneumonia etc...so they are with this virus

30,000 odd people supposedly die from pollution - have we banned all petrol/diesel cars immediately and told the entire population not to drive because they put the vulnerable at risk? No
18m people a year globally die from cardiovascular illness - have we banned all fatty foods? No
30,000 people in the UK are injured in road accidents of which 2,000+ die every year - again have we banned cars? No

We were told we would need to live with this virus, but it seems increasingly like 'living' means doing nothing that anyone enjoys - no holidays, no cinema, no pub, no sport.

Most economists I know are predicting a vaccine approved in Q1 2021, and widespread vaccination in Q2/Q3. Are we supposed to shut everything, live in a cave and have the Government pay everyone's wages for another 9-12 months?

This is the thing, people are focused on deaths yet no one is focusing on the long term health implications of exposing large swathes of the Population to the virus. It is clear that COVID can cause life altering conditions such as scarred lungs. It has also been shown to cause heart, neurological issues and gastrointestinal problems. There is so much to learn about this disease.

By the way I looked up deaths for under 60s on the NHS England site @1 October. It was 2500 for England and thats understated. Given we are a nation of fat bastards, if we went for herd immunity that figure would be much higher. I am not advocating a full lockdown but we cant just do nothing and say tough shit your numbers up to thousands of people. Especially as we have seen across the board from scientists/politcians down to the man in the street most people cant see any further than their front door, when the govt issue directives, and don’t enforce them with firm hand of the law.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:38 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
goonersid wrote:

This is the thing, people are focused on deaths yet no one is focusing on the long term health implications of exposing large swathes of the Population to the virus. It is clear that COVID can cause life altering conditions such as scarred lungs. It has also been shown to cause heart, neurological issues and gastrointestinal problems. There is so much to learn about this disease.

By the way I looked up deaths for under 60s on the NHS England site @1 October. It was 2500 for England and thats understated. Given we are a nation of fat bastards, if we went for herd immunity that figure would be much higher. I am not advocating a full lockdown but we cant just do nothing and say tough shit your numbers up to thousands of people. Especially as we have seen across the board from scientists/politcians down to the man in the street most people cant see any further than their front door, when the govt issue directives, and don’t enforce them with firm hand of the law.
Its hard making sense of the stats for sure - the 307 was under 60s specifically without underlying health conditions mate, but it was reported by a journo on Sky News so can't say I've seen it in black and white. Perhaps the remaining 2,200 all had some form of health condition or maybe the number was bullshit to start with

We can't do nothing but nor can the government indefinitely pay the wages of 9m people, which was supposedly the peak number of those on furlough. Close all the pubs, bars, cafes, cinemas, gyms etc without any furlough relief and what happens to all of those people? And what happens to all our lives when this is over and we want to visit those places?

No easy answers but sadly we can't all live in a cave and never leave it for the next 9 months or so

Like most things in life, there is a degree of risk we will need to live with and it comes down to how we best mitigate it

nut flush gooner

SteveO 35 wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:59 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
goonersid wrote:

Its hard making sense of the stats for sure - the 307 was under 60s specifically without underlying health conditions mate, but it was reported by a journo on Sky News so can't say I've seen it in black and white. Perhaps the remaining 2,200 all had some form of health condition or maybe the number was bullshit to start with

We can't do nothing but nor can the government indefinitely pay the wages of 9m people, which was supposedly the peak number of those on furlough. Close all the pubs, bars, cafes, cinemas, gyms etc without any furlough relief and what happens to all of those people? And what happens to all our lives when this is over and we want to visit those places?

No easy answers but sadly we can't all live in a cave and never leave it for the next 9 months or so

Like most things in life, there is a degree of risk we will need to live with and it comes down to how we best mitigate it
Given less than 1/10th of the population got the virus overall in the first phase, I saw reports of 800,000 in London which was a hotspot are we happy for 25,000 or more people of working age to die. Quite crude maths I know, but it could easily be this amount if we took the Sweden approach. Just one thing about Sweden, they didn't have zero lockdown measures they just trusted their population to do the right thing. By and large it appears as though they did. I don't believe we have the ability to replicate that here from what I have seen. All you have to do is look at the England football team farce.

That 2,500 I quoted did have comorbidities in most instances, but remember some of those people are NHS workers. I feel very uncomfortable making any group sacrificial lambs. Especially with NHS workers, they were let down badly with inadequate PPE at the start of the Pandemic.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

nut flush gooner wrote:people are focused on deaths yet no one is focusing on the long term health implications of exposing large swathes of the Population to the virus. It is clear that COVID can cause life altering conditions such as scarred lungs. It has also been shown to cause heart, neurological issues and gastrointestinal problems. There is so much to learn about this disease.
This is the key issue for me. We do not know nearly enough about the long term health effects of the virus. But the indications are that it has long term detrimental effects on a victim's health.

We could be looking at a scenario whereby in maybe 2 years or 5 years our public health services collapse under a tidal wave of people that survived covid infection but now are seriously ill with the long term effects of it.

Even if it's not that bad it may be that a knock on effect of those infections might be a drain on resources that negatively impacts resources for other treatments like cancer etc.

Honestly until we know more about the long term effects then anyone that associates not wearing a mask with their civil liberties is a complete cùnt.

nut flush gooner

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:01 am
nut flush gooner wrote:people are focused on deaths yet no one is focusing on the long term health implications of exposing large swathes of the Population to the virus. It is clear that COVID can cause life altering conditions such as scarred lungs. It has also been shown to cause heart, neurological issues and gastrointestinal problems. There is so much to learn about this disease.
This is the key issue for me. We do not know nearly enough about the long term health effects of the virus. But the indications are that it has long term detrimental effects on a victim's health.

We could be looking at a scenario whereby in maybe 2 years or 5 years our public health services collapse under a tidal wave of people that survived covid infection but now are seriously ill with the long term effects of it.

Even if it's not that bad it may be that a knock on effect of those infections might be a drain on resources that negatively impacts resources for other treatments like cancer etc.

Honestly until we know more about the long term effects then anyone that associates not wearing a mask with their civil liberties is a complete cùnt.
Yep, I keep saying why are people so precious over wearing a piece of cloth over their face. It's an honourable considerate thing to do unless you have that cockerill on the side of your mask, in that case go to hell!

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Apart from Long Covid the main issue is to not overwhelm the NHS.
If that happens then the government has no other option other than a full lockdown because we would then be in a very serious situation. it won’t be COVID patients that will be the problem, it will be everyone else who will suddenly realise that they can’t get treated.

Bear in mind that the NHS (due to savage cuts made by the Torres) is already at full stretch over the winter and it is pretty easy to see where we are all heading. November through to February is going to be tough and anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:14 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
goonersid wrote:

Given less than 1/10th of the population got the virus overall in the first phase, I saw reports of 800,000 in London which was a hotspot are we happy for 25,000 or more people of working age to die. Quite crude maths I know, but it could easily be this amount if we took the Sweden approach. Just one thing about Sweden, they didn't have zero lockdown measures they just trusted their population to do the right thing. By and large it appears as though they did. I don't believe we have the ability to replicate that here from what I have seen. All you have to do is look at the England football team farce.

That 2,500 I quoted did have comorbidities in most instances, but remember some of those people are NHS workers. I feel very uncomfortable making any group sacrificial lambs. Especially with NHS workers, they were let down badly with inadequate PPE at the start of the Pandemic.
The point about NHS workers is well made and I don't think anyone would disagree with that

The term 'sacrifical lambs' isn't a nice one, but as I've said there is balance. Deaths from pollution and road accidents are entirely man made and theoretically could be wiped to zero if we closed every factory, stopped people driving, banned fossil fuels tomorrow etc.......but we all know that can't happen because it would probably lead to problems which ultimately caused deaths through suicide, poverty etc, and tens of millions would be unemployed, leading to some sort of mass unrest and feudal state. I would never want to badge a group as 'sacrificial lambs' but old people are naturally in that category with viral infections if we want to use that term.

No easy decisions I know, but widespread lockdown for months on end and closing entire sections of industry will lead to more 'sacrifical lambs'. We all know the suicide stats for young men - how will that be impacted when none of them can find a job or have any form of social pursuits?

All very sad and worrying

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:15 am
Apart from Long Covid the main issue is to not overwhelm the NHS.
If that happens then the government has no other option other than a full lockdown because we would then be in a very serious situation. it won’t be COVID patients that will be the problem, it will be everyone else who will suddenly realise that they can’t get treated.

Bear in mind that the NHS (due to savage cuts made by the Torres) is already at full stretch over the winter and it is pretty easy to see where we are all heading. November through to February is going to be tough and anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded.

Torres made savage cuts to the NHS, a hated him enough already!

here i was thinking that the Tories had increased spending year on year in real terms on it. still lets not let facts get in the way of the angry left.

nut flush gooner

SteveO 35 wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:45 am
nut flush gooner wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:14 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

The point about NHS workers is well made and I don't think anyone would disagree with that

The term 'sacrifical lambs' isn't a nice one, but as I've said there is balance. Deaths from pollution and road accidents are entirely man made and theoretically could be wiped to zero if we closed every factory, stopped people driving, banned fossil fuels tomorrow etc.......but we all know that can't happen because it would probably lead to problems which ultimately caused deaths through suicide, poverty etc, and tens of millions would be unemployed, leading to some sort of mass unrest and feudal state. I would never want to badge a group as 'sacrificial lambs' but old people are naturally in that category with viral infections if we want to use that term.

No easy decisions I know, but widespread lockdown for months on end and closing entire sections of industry will lead to more 'sacrifical lambs'. We all know the suicide stats for young men - how will that be impacted when none of them can find a job or have any form of social pursuits?

All very sad and worrying
I don’t advocate a full lockdown at all, that would not only be disastrous for the economy it would cause health issues right across the board from undiagnosed cancer’s to mental health problems.

What I do want to see is a set of measures aimed at controlling the virus, that are not too onerous, easily understood by the population and clear that if people take the piss, they will be fined for breaking the rules. Eg you dont wear a mask indoors in a group setting £1k fine.

It’s inevitable people will die of COVID this winter we really are now in a damage limitation phase.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

when the dust finally settles on this whole fiasco it will be realised and then probably ignored that more money than ever before has been ploughed into the NHS but that it has been wasted in an overbloated beauracratic administration run by people with little or no practical experience.
Just as we have thousands of migrants awaiting results of asylum applications and crime rising at an alarming rate the home office is bogged down by the same problem . No amount of money can make up for inefficiency and the Civil service is inefficient .
We throw up our hands in terror at the thought of privatising the NHS but really the problem lies with the people holding it's strings . It's not the NHS that needs to be private , the concept is as valid now as it was at it's inception but like so many things once the whitehall mandarin organisation gets it's hands on it it's progress slows and the whole thing goes backwards at it's own pace .
"" Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow.""

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

For those advocating harsher fines on rule breakers how exactly is that going to be policed? You could put the entire Military, Provost Guard Service, MOD Police, Civil Nuclear Constabulary, MI5, MI6 and a few other Agencies into the mix alongside the regular Police and you would barely be able to fully police the major cities in the UK properly and enforce these 'laws', what about the rest of the country :roll:

I've said all along it takes the idiot populace to police themselves for this to work but unfortunately the entitled, permissive, self centred individuals who make up a significant portion of the population have shown exactly where the problem lies from day one..... and all those people who continually blame the government, local councils etc etc are completely ignoring the real problem because it is an uncomfortable reality that a large part of the human population are *word censored*.

The message is fairly simple really, mask up, social distance, wash your hands and at all times use common sense.....what is so difficult about it, yet time after time people have looked for the loop holes, the inconsistencies and discrepancies and, especially in the case of the MSM, made sure everyone is aware of them, how many times have you seen since lockdown was lifted reporters interviewing people within 2-3 meters without a mask on. Yet as soon as a politician or a SAGE member or other prominent individual is seen without one near someone else the media is all over it whilst being seen to pay lip service to the 'rules' themselves, hypocrites.

Personally I'm beginning to think that those advocating herd immunity may be right because quite simply a large proportion of the population doesnt have the wisdom, common sense or intelligence to follow some simple rules to protect themselves, their families, friends and anyone else they come into contact with :rubchin:

nut flush gooner

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:14 pm
For those advocating harsher fines on rule breakers how exactly is that going to be policed? You could put the entire Military, Provost Guard Service, MOD Police, Civil Nuclear Constabulary, MI5, MI6 and a few other Agencies into the mix alongside the regular Police and you would barely be able to fully police the major cities in the UK properly and enforce these 'laws', what about the rest of the country :roll:

I've said all along it takes the idiot populace to police themselves for this to work but unfortunately the entitled, permissive, self centred individuals who make up a significant portion of the population have shown exactly where the problem lies from day one..... and all those people who continually blame the government, local councils etc etc are completely ignoring the real problem because it is an uncomfortable reality that a large part of the human population are *word censored*.

The message is fairly simple really, mask up, social distance, wash your hands and at all times use common sense.....what is so difficult about it, yet time after time people have looked for the loop holes, the inconsistencies and discrepancies and, especially in the case of the MSM, made sure everyone is aware of them, how many times have you seen since lockdown was lifted reporters interviewing people within 2-3 meters without a mask on. Yet as soon as a politician or a SAGE member or other prominent individual is seen without one near someone else the media is all over it whilst being seen to pay lip service to the 'rules' themselves, hypocrites.

Personally I'm beginning to think that those advocating herd immunity may be right because quite simply a large proportion of the population doesnt have the wisdom, common sense or intelligence to follow some simple rules to protect themselves, their families, friends and anyone else they come into contact with :rubchin:
Personally I don't care, thats not my problem it's the states. If someone walks into a supermarket and blatantly doesn't wear a mask without good reason when questioned, then they need to be fined simple as. You can normally tell the people who are medically compromised over those that just take the piss and don't care. We are talking literally about life and death here, there's no soft way of dealing with the offenders and there are thousands all over the country. Mask wearing is quite literally is an artificial herd immunity. It's only effective though when at least 85/90% of people use them.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

How can ‘herd immunity’ work when it’s possible to catch the virus more than once? There have been a few reported cases worldwide of this happening and no experts can say it’s not possible, especially when the virus mutates regularly.
People laud Sweden but I read their death rate is still higher than neighbours Denmark and Norway who had strict lockdowns!
As others have said, there are too many utter muppets in the UK that will stop any process from working.

nut flush gooner

TeeCee wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:28 am
How can ‘herd immunity’ work when it’s possible to catch the virus more than once? There have been a few reported cases worldwide of this happening and no experts can say it’s not possible, especially when the virus mutates regularly.
People laud Sweden but I read their death rate is still higher than neighbours Denmark and Norway who had strict lockdowns!
As others have said, there are too many utter muppets in the UK that will stop any process from working.
I suspect if you have had coronavirus once, and get it again the severity won't be the same because you will have built up enough immunity not to stop you from catching it again, but enough not to get really sick.

If COVID was as potent every time the same person is infected ie possibly life threatening/changing then we are in for some grim death totals. It will wipe out a generation. Most viruses mutate and then fade after a few years going by history.