Welcome Thomas

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
LeftfootlegendGooner

Re: Welcome Thomas

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

1)ee wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:36 am
Is it just me or is everyone else already fed up with all the social channels bigging Thomas up and he hasnt even kicked a ball.
I get that hes a new signing but the amount of posts licking up to him is excessive.
Reminds me of how annoying the victims can behave about literally anything.
Yeah agreed, I don't know a lot about the guy but from what I've seen of social media we seem have bought a mixture of Kante, Viera with a large sprinkling of Bergkamp drizzled over the top.

If he doesn't score a hat trick, make 30 tackles, 45 interceptions, 2 assists and cover every blade of grass in his first game then fuck it, send him out on loan to palace :roll: :lol:

augie

Post by augie »

1)ee wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:36 am
Is it just me or is everyone else already fed up with all the social channels bigging Thomas up and he hasnt even kicked a ball.
I get that hes a new signing but the amount of posts licking up to him is excessive.
Reminds me of how annoying the victims can behave about literally anything.

On the face of it he looks like a perfect signing for us (big, physically powerful CDM) and I pray to christ that he will prove to be a great signing - my only question mark about him is whether simeone's defensive system made his defensive players look better than they are, or if they are actually top quality players that excelled in a good system. There is no doubt that our "system" is nowhere near as wide open as it was, but it also should be recognised that he wont have as many defensive players lining up alongside him as he had in madrid, so he will def have to work harder for his money with us.

Really need him to hit the ground running, and really think that he has to start tomorrown evening against city

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:08 am
Stopped reading after this..

"He talked admiringly of Granit Xhaka, and admitted he could envisage playing in tandem with the Switzerland international."

Yep IW8, I went cold when I read that. I had no doubt that club foot would remain in the side when Partey was bought and that comment confirms it for me. Seldom have I wanted to be more wrong about something, but I fear I won't be.

Regardless of the system, 4-4-2, or 3 at the back (or is that 5 at the back?? :) ), Xhaka is always gonna have a place in this team. Fuck knows what these coaches see in the dope, because we mere mortals certainly ain't seeing it. :(

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

augie wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:36 pm
gooner265 wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:44 pm
augie wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:55 am
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:08 am
Stopped reading after this..

"He talked admiringly of Granit Xhaka, and admitted he could envisage playing in tandem with the Switzerland international."

Very valid point

The part where he spoke about developing other parts of his game and unlocking himself, is the part that concerns me - he is being brought to play CDM and it is a position of great need for us. I dont want him to have a new sense of freedom cos I want a disciplined player who will protect our back 4, and most reviews have him as that type of player. Players sometimes come to AFC and view it as a platform to show what an expanive player they are, and all to the detriment of the team - this was an ethos perfectly created by the senile french cock who believed allowing 10 outfield players to go and "express themselves" was somehow gonna work.

Anyway Thomas, it is good that you believe that you are only going to get better, but please do so in a midfield enforcer/CDM role cos that is what we need
PV wasn't just a DM , he drove the team forward which is just what we need IMO, he can break up play and start the counter pulling the opposition out of position and creating space for others.
He may play in a double pivot like petit/Vieira, there is a belief Simeone held him back and will develop more under Arteta, how many DM do you see playing these days just sweeping up , not many.
It's all about discipline and filling in which we are working towards in a much way these days.

PV4 played alongside Petit and Gilberto and could gallop where he wanted - would you trust elneny or xhaka to protect the back 4 if partey played an attacking role ??

Exactly what I was thinking. Plus, with all due respect to Partey, who I know nothing about other than the hype I've read, I can't imagine that he's comparable to Patrick Vieira. The man was a colossus, the beating heart of the team and although we were blessed with the likes of Dennis (still my all time favourite Arsenal Player), Henry, Pires et al, Paddy was the one player who we never came even close to replacing and the gaping hole he left behind remains to this day.

If Partey is half the player that Vieira was, then it will be an upgrade on anything else we've had. If he's more than half the player, then it will be an absolute bonus.

Fingers crossed and good luck to him....he's gonna need it with Frankenstein's monster lumbering aimlessly about next to him.