Baldy Dome Pep v Night Fever Hairdo A Sat 17th Oct 530pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
shu

Re: Baldy Dome Pep v Night Fever Hairdo A Sat 17th Oct 530pm

Post by shu »

Yes I don't get the false 9'either , stupid decision.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

If i'm honest, some of the backwards and sidesways shit on display today was exactly like watching a latter-day Wenger team. The only difference being barring their goal we were fairly solid defensively even with Xhaka for 80 mins. I'm all for defensive solidity because we have lacked it for far too long but, and it is a big but, you need to pair it with attacking intent which was rare today, too many times when we did try to break we'd get into their half and even when we weren't being fouled we stopped turned around and played it all the way back to Leno, it was ludicrous to watch us getting to the edge of their area and then 20 secs later Leno has the ball at his feet and city had recovered all their players back to where they should be.

Saka irritated me today as well, i am all for him taking chances but twice today he took on nearly impossible shots when he could easily have cut the ball back to the spot for others, i know he was our main attacking threat and he is still young but he needs to learn spatial awareness and where his team mates are.

The crossing was poor most of the game too from both sides and why the hell Willian was playing in that position i have no idea he did the square root of fuck all today as he has with pretty much every performance since the Fulham one, yet another Chelsea retirement home reject i feel. PEA was crap today as well, people will say his service was non-existent but he was static most of the game, frankly we missed Laca from the start today so we had a target to bring others into play. We could and should have beaten that Shitty team today :cussing:

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Arteta has said that we ‘controlled the game’ against City? Really? You were watching a different game to me then!
Xhaka and Dani Cebackpass played directly in front of the CB’s and literally didn’t cross the halfway line. WillIan as a false 9? Pepe playing against a team that uses the wings a lot AND who were missing their best CM so obviously would use the wings even more? Failure to change things when it was obvious they needed changing? 69th or 70th minute sub? Arteta fucked that game up royally. I’m telling you he is just a mini- Wenger!
I can’t believe some people think it was an ok performance because we only lost by 1 goal!!?? WTF sort of ambition is that?? :banghead: We could have played until next weekend and we wouldn’t have scored, it was dismal. Arteta also thinks Willian had a good game and did well? God help us with this twat in charge if he thinks Willian was good, he was totally anonymous and his first name on the team sheet next week will still be Xhaka!! Wenger-lite dickhead. Arteta has an awful lot to prove, at the moment he’s just a decent organiser, nothing more.

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

Yesterday was exactly like the West Ham and Sheffield United games, in which we were generally shit but relied on taking the one or two chances we got in the game. Playing like that more often than not you'll drop points. We have zero creativity in the team, and our only attacking plan is to get it down the Wings. When is the last time any of our team played a defence splitting pass? This is an average City team that will be pulled apart by any proper attacking team, but we are the opposite. I was delighted with the Partey signing but the more I watch us, we badly needed a creative player more. I said on here yesterday that we'll finish around 7th or 8th but I think that's too optimistic. Throw into the mix that Aubameyang's goals have all but dried up and this season could well be a complete shit show.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

So frustrating watching yesterday. .There were positives ,central defence looked solid. Even Luiz had a decent game. Midfield was busy but again offered nothing going forward. It was upfront that we were dreadful. Pepe was our best attacker but that didn't take much h effort. I am losing patience with Aubameyang, he is captain of Arsenal FC. Someone needs to have a word with him and explain that that actually means something. Willian is equally frustrating. It is almost as if someone told him that if you wish to stay in London and earn easy money just rock up to the Emirates. With the exception of the Fulham game he has offered nothing .
Goal was a disaster for Bellerin and Leno. It is so frustrating watching Arsenal. We could have got something yesterday.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

The positive for me was we are defending a lot better than we have in the last 10 years.

But we still have to endure:

Tortoise clubfoot trying to make out he's a footballer

Pepe still looks like he is trying to remember what his name is

Auba is wasted on the flank and needs to be central

Willian is a decent player, but is being wasted in whatever position he is meant to be holding/playing

Martinelli should never have been sold.

:|

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Martinelli ain’t playing in goal for Villa you crazy bastard 8)

From the always excellent stat man Orbinho on twatter -

Points away from home against the Big Six since January 2015

37 Man City
35 Liverpool
31 Palace
30 Man Utd
23 Chelsea, W Ham
22 So'ton
20 Spurs
19 Leicester
14 Burnley, Wolves
13 Everton
12 Swansea, WBA
11 Bournemouth
10 Arsenal

That’s fucking grim :shock:

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

BFG4 wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:55 am
Yesterday was exactly like the West Ham and Sheffield United games, in which we were generally shit but relied on taking the one or two chances we got in the game. Playing like that more often than not you'll drop points. We have zero creativity in the team, and our only attacking plan is to get it down the Wings. When is the last time any of our team played a defence splitting pass? This is an average City team that will be pulled apart by any proper attacking team, but we are the opposite. I was delighted with the Partey signing but the more I watch us, we badly needed a creative player more. I said on here yesterday that we'll finish around 7th or 8th but I think that's too optimistic. Throw into the mix that Aubameyang's goals have all but dried up and this season could well be a complete shit show.
Yep - this sums it up for me too. :barscarf: :barscarf:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Haven't seen the game or highlights yet but judging by reports and posts on here we bored the sky viewers. So, we've lost the two games we anticipated we would away at city and liverpool. We didn't get smashed out the park, and we had excellent chances in both games to take a points. For me, this is a great sign of how the team is developing.
When teams with fragile defences as ours has been are becoming more difficult to beat will develop into a title challenging team. Yes we want to see attacking flair, and we have the players capable of delivering. Every decent manager builds from the back. Klopp did at liverpool. Graham did it for us in the '80's, fergie did at utd in the '90's, and mourinho did it for chelski in the '00's. We just have to be patient with this team.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Clash wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:44 pm
Arteta as a manager is similar to how he was as a player for us. Solid but far too safe. We are devoid of creativity not just because we do not have creative players ... we lack courage going forward.

I hate the pretty football route Wenger went down that saw us get ripped apart several times a season. And at times under Emery it was chaos. But this right now is so bland. Being sterile Is acceptable if it gets the sort of results that challenges for titles but we are not getting those results. I’m sure we could be a bit more expansive without losing the bit of solidity Arteta has added.
Summed it up well Clash.....easy to pass sideways and back, but having the vision to thread a forward pass or beat your man was missing
Tierney, Saka and Gabriel were the better performers

Just looked again at the walker head high challenge on Gabriel....looked a booking (dangerous play) and a penalty?

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

rodders999 wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:17 am
Martinelli ain’t playing in goal for Villa you crazy bastard 8)

From the always excellent stat man Orbinho on twatter -

Points away from home against the Big Six since January 2015

37 Man City
35 Liverpool
31 Palace
30 Man Utd
23 Chelsea, W Ham
22 So'ton
20 Spurs
19 Leicester
14 Burnley, Wolves
13 Everton
12 Swansea, WBA
11 Bournemouth
10 Arsenal

That’s fucking grim :shock:
I meant Martinez... :oops: :D

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Auba is wasted on the flank and needs to be central .

Auba only plays better when Lacazette is in the team . We have three actual forwards at the moment , Auba needs to have a ball to run on to and times his runs really well but can't play with a central defender giving him close attention he needs the room playing wide gives him.. Nketiah is the epitome of the fox in the box , he pops up and does score goals at least at under 21 level and Lacazette is the only one that can keep a ball played up to him.
To get the best from them Auba and laca have to start and Nketiah is the 70 minute substitute. then it is how to perm the best of the rest . Pepe , Nelson , Martinelli , Willian have to slug it out for the right to a shirt on the right . Saka , Partey and Ceballos or even Ozil to feed them , and I still believe that we sold the wrong keeper.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

I think it has been said many times before, but we're going to have to get used to watching a lot of sterile football this season. Arteta has made us far more competitive in games, and thank god for that because getting blown away inside 20-30 minutes had become the norm. However, this is the least talented midfield in a generation and whilst Partey is a good addition, he isn't going to contribute much at the other end of the field which is where we are sadly lacking - which for me was why Aouar should have been the signing we made if we could only have afforded one. There isn't a Pires/Freddie or even a Ramsey to burst into the box and score a goal, so when Auba is off song (as he was) we'll always look toothless in games like this

You can rotate now between Xhaka, Elneny, Partey, Willock, Ceballos and it won't make the slightest difference - there isn't a goal or an assist amongst the lot of them. You can't compete at the very top without a player in midfield who contributes at the top end of the play and we are essentially a squad of safety first midfielders with some inconsistent wide players like Pepe and Saka (who was good yesterday)

If Auba gets injured regardless of yesterday's performance, this is a mid-table team. If he scores like he has done the past couple of seasons and we stay relatively injury free its a 6th-8th place team. If Arteta gets them above that he truly would have worked a miracle

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Spot on SteveO, could have written that myself word for word. The objective this season seems to be to see if we can grind it out to 4th with efficient, ugly football, the kind of which saw us pick up maximum points against Sheffield United and West Ham.

I also felt that as we only had the cash for one player as the deadline approached then Aouar had to be that player to try and add some much needed spark to the midfield.

Arteta decided that the first issue in the side that needed to be addressed was the defensive side of things. The banter days of being destroyed by half time against the big boys are over thank fuck but it’s come at the expense of being fluid going forward.

It’s not easy to find the right balance especially with the players we have at our disposal in midfield so the only option left to us is to try and throttle our way to 4th which will then allow us to spend serious cash on a playmaker.

It’s gonna be a grind, here’s hoping we make it.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

To be fair Rodders, Aouar said he was staying at Lyon a few days before the window closed so I think we decided Partey was worth going for. We need both types of player.