Citeh A Weds 26th Apr KO 8pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
goonersid

Re: Citeh A Weds 26th Apr KO 8pm

Post by goonersid »

I'm sure if we'd had a forum in 89' with the members we have on here now.
Then I'm sure we'd have been having the same posts we are seeing on here!
An Arsenal side with a lot of young players blew a big lead in the title chase!
That took lots of stupid errors, poor performances and "bottling it"
The challenge they faced going to Anfield seemed unsurmountable !
I hoped that night, without maybe believing!
And we did it!
So maybe we can do it again!
So if you can't get 100% behind the team for this game ?
Then you should F U C K OFF for the next three days!
I doubt many of the current squad visit this forum, but if just one of them does?
Yeah he would great inspiration from your posts!
Then if we lose you can cream your pants in an "I told you so" wankfest,
COYG :barscarf: :barscarf:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:16 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:54 pm
Apparently he was allowed to visit the training ground on 2 occasions, one prior to the Shammers game and then prior to the game against the saints.... He gave a "speech' to the Squad of players... Nuff Sed. :roll:

*I Blame Wenger.

Is this fact OBG ??
There were photo's of him at the first one and then he was 'sighted' the following week there again...

The CUN.T Jinxed us ... Not for the first time... :banghead:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

goonersid wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:03 pm
And we did it!
I doubt many of the current squad visit this forum, but if just one of them does?
:high5:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

goonersid wrote:
And we did it!
I think we can all only hope that the spirit of 89 comes soaring to the surface this time round. Sadly I can't see the on field leaders these days to match the Adams, O'Leary, Richardson types that took to the field that evening but we all hope the present crop can defy the odds. It really would be a win to rival that one if it ended in a title. I dont know who from the forum will enjoy being proved right, but anyone who rejoices in a defeat should certainly take a long walk! Personally I'll be gutted as I fear it would be quite some time before we got close again

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:21 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:16 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:54 pm
Apparently he was allowed to visit the training ground on 2 occasions, one prior to the Shammers game and then prior to the game against the saints.... He gave a "speech' to the Squad of players... Nuff Sed. :roll:

*I Blame Wenger.

Is this fact OBG ??
There were photo's of him at the first one and then he was 'sighted' the following week there again...

The CUN.T Jinxed us ... Not for the first time... :banghead:

Well, if the long streak of piss showed up before both of those games and gave an “inspiring” address, then it’s no surprise the team slipped up. Motivation was hardly his fucking forte was it?!

Imagine seeing him dragging his skinny arse in like a walking cadaver and lecturing the players in his dull monotone. Surprised they didn’t run out the tunnel with their heads in their hands.

The worrying aspect is that the implication is that he was invited in at the sharp end of the season to make an impact. If so, he definitely did that...he led them into a classic Wenger end of season collapse. I’ve said on here a number of times that I suspect he coaches Arteta behind the scenes. That would certainly help explain the Xhaka love-in, the iffy substitutions and the standing there looking helpless when things are going wrong.

The toxic old bastard should be nowhere near the club. I’ll guarantee you that if we did happen to pull off a league title win, he’d be giving interviews telling everyone how he was advising. Can’t stand the bloke.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

It wasn't only the team in '89, it was the manager. Graham switched up tactics, used O'Leary as a sweeper in a back 5.......went defensive to nullify them (5-4-1), then try hit them on the break because he said if we got one, they would be nervous, and we could get another. And it worked. And I don't think we had won there for about 15 years. As Retro said earlier, a puncher has always got a chance against a boxer. Put two classical boxers in the ring and the more gifted will win, every time.

Do you think Arteta will have the nous to switch it up?? Xhaka for Viera, that will be the extent of it. And we go again, once more into the fray (with the same result)

TBF, he cannot go defensive because he hasn't got defenders. 3-1

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

xisstential wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:50 pm
It wasn't only the team in '89, it was the manager. Graham switched up tactics, used O'Leary as a sweeper in a back 5.......went defensive to nullify them (5-4-1), then try hit them on the break because he said if we got one, they would be nervous, and we could get another. And it worked. And I don't think we had won there for about 15 years. As Retro said earlier, a puncher has always got a chance against a boxer. Put two classical boxers in the ring and the more gifted will win, every time.

Do you think Arteta will have the nous to switch it up?? Xhaka for Viera, that will be the extent of it. And we go again, once more into the fray (with the same result)

Xhaka for Vieira,that’s like choosing between syphilis and gonorrhoea, :banghead:

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:12 pm
goonersid wrote:
And we did it!
I think we can all only hope that the spirit of 89 comes soaring to the surface this time round. Sadly I can't see the on field leaders these days to match the Adams, O'Leary, Richardson types that took to the field that evening but we all hope the present crop can defy the odds. It really would be a win to rival that one if it ended in a title. I dont know who from the forum will enjoy being proved right, but anyone who rejoices in a defeat should certainly take a long walk! Personally I'll be gutted as I fear it would be quite some time before we got close again
What with City,the emergence of Newcastle,Manchester United attempting a comeback,the fact that Pity City and Chelsea will probably get their acts together next year
too,I think if we don’t do it this season we’ll not see us as champions again for a long time,unless our CL qualification sees some “top qualitee” come in and we push on.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

goonersid wrote:
And we did it!
Have I woken up out of a dream and we only have one game left in the League? We simply need to go to City and win? Our other 6 games have all been played. Oh brilliant! We have a chance!

:barscarf: :barscarf:

subtleasaheadbutt

Post by subtleasaheadbutt »

goonersid wrote:
And we did it!
Agree.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

I said it before on here so I apologize that I'm going to say it again.........I was so pissed of with Wenger in 2009 I gave up my ST of 30 years and also sold my A bond. I vowed never to go again while he was still in charge at Arsenal. He didn't deserve my support.
I moved to France a few years later, before he left
Funny enough, no one here mentions him if I talk about Arsenal, they mention the French players we had but never Wenger!

Can't see anything but a 3 goal defeat against City..... at least.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

TeeCee wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:53 am
I said it before on here so I apologize that I'm going to say it again.........I was so pissed of with Wenger in 2009 I gave up my ST of 30 years and also sold my A bond. I vowed never to go again while he was still in charge at Arsenal. He didn't deserve my support.
I moved to France a few years later, before he left
Funny enough, no one here mentions him if I talk about Arsenal, they mention the French players we had but never Wenger!

Can't see anything but a 3 goal defeat against City..... at least.

Got to say TeeCee, I admire your principle of being prepared to can your ST, it takes some doing and especially when you'd had it for so long. I moaned constantly, but couldn't bring myself to let the ST go. By 2015 or 16, I also said that I could no longer attend while he was still at the helm, so I started to rent it out. In fairness, that's a pretty weak protest, but part of me asked why that old fucker should force me to give up my treasured ST.

After he'd gone, I kept renting it out as part of the anti Kroenke protest, but of course, it's no protest at all really.

Tell me, back in 2009, how did your Arsenal mates react to your anti Wenger stance? I was convinced his time was up as early as 2007 (in fact, the writing was on the wall in 2006), but most Gooners thought I was nuts. It took years for any real anti Wenger sentiment to grow to any significant level and even when he went in 2018, I'd estimate that no more than half the support felt he should go.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

robbo10 wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:48 am
xisstential wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:50 pm

Xhaka for Vieira,that’s like choosing between syphilis and gonorrhoea, :banghead:
I know, what a "choice" huh? I don't think I have ever had a good thing to say about Xhaka since he's been at the club, but when he plays at least he's there. The odd decent pass, he goes over easily and wins the odd free kick........Viera isn't there. He's invisible, he just never seems to be involved in anything. He embodies the word Lightweight.

I would play ESR, I think he would be out to prove a point and if Arteta was a good manager he could take him aside, tell him, I need you tonight, the team needs you, the fans need you, show them what you've got.

But he won't....Xhaka it is, with Viera waiting his turn.....in place of Odegaard probably.
Xhaka and Viera on at the same time, wouldn't that be something?

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

I think we'll get ragdolled here :cry: Holding up against the big ugly weird looking fucker :shock: Our lads need to indulge in some good old sledgeing :rubchin: a wee whisper in Haalands lug about whatever will wind him up..cos I'm certain he can be got at in that way..He's got a short fuse on him that's for sure and that's what I would try and exploit..

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

This feels like the biggest game of importance since the CL Final against the Barcawhores. :?

#COYG