Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

augie

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by augie »

A11M11 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:54 am
How many times have we been down the emergency striker path ? Mariner and Suker , Jeffers they rarely work out in the long run . Sometimes it's better to keep the cash than waste it .
Gambling is great when it comes off but when it doesn't !!

One could argue that there is no bigger gamble than going into a season with jesus and nketieh as your only strikers, and also sending two left backs out on loan without bringing one in ? :rubchin: Also is anything a bigger gamble than spending £65m on a german dud who was shit under FOUR different chav managers ?? :cry: :cry: :cry:

Personally I wouldnt give el basque or edu another penny to spend even if there are here for another two years - the two of them have pissed away more money than should have been allowed, and I have no faith in diet pep to identify the necessary players or to utilise them properly anyway

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:09 pm
augie wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:21 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:55 am
I don't know.... its almost like appointing a novice as manager of a huge club is a bad idea.... :shock:

I understand your thought process buddy but he is 4 years into the job now and this rookie/novice thing is no longer a factor imo - if he made these mistakes 4 years ago then fair enough we would all point to his inexperience, but the mistakes he is making every single week are down to arrogance and it is the same type of arrogance the french cock had and he was a manager for forty years at that stage. That arrogance is something that is either in you or it isnt and has nothing to do with experience or age - the basque cock thinks that he knows best (his bigging up havertz a few weeks back was a prime example), and he refuses to adapt or learn. A top manager (with the exception of the portugese c.unt) is humble, always willing to learn, and more often than not is gonna have someone alongside him that he trusts and will listen to - an arrogant cock believes that he is always right and surrounds himself with yes men who support that narrative, and never wavers from the opinions he formed on day one. In this particular instance just look at kiwor as another example - he is a young kid in his first season in the league and has scarcely played, and yet diet pep still expects him to play the inverted full back role when zinchenko isnt playing - ffs it is questionable if the kid is good enough for this level as it is, without this basque cock heaping more pressure on him by expecting him to be a fcuking midfield playmaker too :evil: :evil: He is hanging out this kid because his system and tactics must remain regardless of whether it suits the available players or not :censored: :censored:
You completely missed my point augster. I'm not saying he is making these mistakes after 4 years in the job. I'm saying how the fuck was he given the job, and how did the owners think it would turn out any other way?
I still, to this day, have no idea how he was favourite to replace Wenger (before Emery got the job) and then apparently 'the best choice.' The whole concept of giving the job of Arsenal manager to a man who's experience in coaching amounted to handing out bibs and putting the cones out at Man City, is staggering.

The only two reasons I can think of are -

The owners are unambitious OR they believed in some Hollywood-esq bullshit that this glorified PE teacher - the Spanish Phil Brown - was going to Mr Miyagi us to glory.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:28 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
augie wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
I don't know.... its almost like appointing a novice as manager of a huge club is a bad idea.... :shock:

I understand your thought process buddy but he is 4 years into the job now and this rookie/novice thing is no longer a factor imo - if he made these mistakes 4 years ago then fair enough we would all point to his inexperience, but the mistakes he is making every single week are down to arrogance and it is the same type of arrogance the french cock had and he was a manager for forty years at that stage. That arrogance is something that is either in you or it isnt and has nothing to do with experience or age - the basque cock thinks that he knows best (his bigging up havertz a few weeks back was a prime example), and he refuses to adapt or learn. A top manager (with the exception of the portugese c.unt) is humble, always willing to learn, and more often than not is gonna have someone alongside him that he trusts and will listen to - an arrogant cock believes that he is always right and surrounds himself with yes men who support that narrative, and never wavers from the opinions he formed on day one. In this particular instance just look at kiwor as another example - he is a young kid in his first season in the league and has scarcely played, and yet diet pep still expects him to play the inverted full back role when zinchenko isnt playing - ffs it is questionable if the kid is good enough for this level as it is, without this basque cock heaping more pressure on him by expecting him to be a fcuking midfield playmaker too :evil: :evil: He is hanging out this kid because his system and tactics must remain regardless of whether it suits the available players or not :censored: :censored:
You completely missed my point augster. I'm not saying he is making these mistakes after 4 years in the job. I'm saying how the fuck was he given the job, and how did the owners think it would turn out any other way?
I still, to this day, have no idea how he was favourite to replace Wenger (before Emery got the job) and then apparently 'the best choice.' The whole concept of giving the job of Arsenal manager to a man who's experience in coaching amounted to handing out bibs and putting the cones out at Man City, is staggering.

The owners are unambitious OR they believed in some Hollywood-esq bullshit that this glorified PE teacher - the Spanish Phil Brown - was going to Mr Miyagi us to glory.
It's astonishing really isn't it? Every other top level manager I can think of had to first learn the role for years at smaller lower level clubs. Somehow this failed librarian looking gimp bypassed that and ends up managing one of the biggest clubs in the world as a first job! :shock: :oops:

I literally laughed out loud at "the Spanish Phil Brown"! :coffeespit: :lol: :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Spanish for Phil Brown is Felipe Marrón. :wink:

Interesting how close "Marrón" is to "moron" huh? :lol:

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:47 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
augie wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

It's astonishing really isn't it? Every other top level manager I can think of had to first learn the role for years at smaller lower level clubs. Somehow this failed librarian looking gimp bypassed that and ends up managing one of the biggest clubs in the world as a first job! :shock: :oops:

I literally laughed out loud at "the Spanish Phil Brown"! :coffeespit: :lol: :lol:
Failed librarian looking gimp :coffeespit: :coffeespit: Fuck me :lol: :lol: :lol: Spanish Phil Brown :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: Were fucking shite at the moment but by fuck I love this place :D 8) :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:
Espanol Felipe Marron :oops: His new handle :D

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

falkirk goon wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:53 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
augie wrote:

Failed librarian looking gimp :coffeespit: :coffeespit: Fuck me :lol: :lol: :lol: Spanish Phil Brown :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: Were fucking shite at the moment but by fuck I love this place :D 8) :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:
:lol: :lol: :barscarf: :barscarf:

Gotta admit Spanish Phil Brown and Tee Cee's Merkin Head had me in stitches. :lol: :lol:

Nick Nack

Post by Nick Nack »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:59 pm
falkirk goon wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Gotta admit Spanish Phil Brown and Tee Cee's Merkin Head had me in stitches. :lol: :lol:
Do you think Merkin Head needs "special" shampoo :D

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Nick Nack wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:39 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:59 pm
falkirk goon wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Do you think Merkin Head needs "special" shampoo :D
Only when it's 'Special Circumstances' :D

bergkamp10

Post by bergkamp10 »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:08 pm
Just reading through differebt stuff today, it seems as if two camps exist with little in the middle. We've got the blind optimism that last season's six decent months were a true sign of what the team can achieve rather than a flash in the pan and the other side of the fence being the jaded, seen it all before realists who just know how it all ends because we've seen it all so often. Not enough has changed to make us believe that this time it's going to be any different.
We're heading slowly towards another split fanbase, a reboot of the 2008-18 saga which will do nobody any good. Nobody's got the energy left for it all again. Nobody can be bothered with the whole "you don't care about the club" just because they see the problems and want them fixed. It'll be better all round if this gets solved over the summer. Put Arteta in the Gerrard Houllier/ Brendan Rogers / Ron Atkinson category of managers that had a go, put their club back up there challenging but when it came to it, needed replacing by someone better who could win major honours. It's OK to admit that it hasn't fully worked as a club and make a change rather than end up in the painful emotional misery of another Wanker fiasco.
xgtdec wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:02 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:25 pm
the playing mantis wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:08 pm
He ain't going anywhere, he's 'elite' in the eyes of most fans, influential bloggers and social media.

You want to check out le grove blog today ,it will open your eyes how true your post is :lol:
as an extract

""We’ve had one bad game in 6 weeks. We’ve had some terrible results in that period. There has been no luck. We conceded 2 goals from 3 shots on target today. 2 goals from 4 shots on target against Fulham. 2 goals off 3 on target against West Ham. That’s 6 goals off ten shots on target. We have taken 63 shots over those three games and recorded 0 goals.

I’m telling you, the tide will turn, players will return to form, and we’ll go on a tear in the back half of the season.""

le grove.......french for c0ck sucker

Well I agree up to a point. But our problems are that Arteta and his vast backroom team (35+) are embedded within the structure of the club.
Having spent over £650M !! This last two years alone, he will be given time, to which I think is the right decision.

My major concern is he is reluctant to change the first 11, and give them a rest from time to time. This might cost dear in mid-March/April.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

taken from le grove on January 9th

"Sack Arteta? You are a deeply unserious person if that’s your view"

"it’s no shame to lose to a Liverpool side we battered with 18 shots. No team has done that to Liverpool this season. We haven’t been able to do that against Liverpool in 10 years. The result didn’t go our way, but over the long term, those sorts of games where we are clearly the better team will give us strength. We’re no longer the inferior team of boys that hides. The fear of two seasons ago against big teams has gone. That is progress"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

there you go you ungrateful bastards - you cant be serious if you want Arteta out, and despite still losing the big matches we no longer fear them.
We are making PROGRESS! :D

augie

Post by augie »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:24 am

"it’s no shame to lose to a Liverpool side we battered with 18 shots. No team has done that to Liverpool this season. We haven’t been able to do that against Liverpool in 10 years. The result didn’t go our way, but over the long term, those sorts of games where we are clearly the better team will give us strength. We’re no longer the inferior team of boys that hides. The fear of two seasons ago against big teams has gone. That is progress"

there you go you ungrateful bastards - you cant be serious if you want Arteta out, and despite still losing the big matches we no longer fear them.

#trusttheprocess :roll: :roll: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :oops: :oops:

Nick Nack

Post by Nick Nack »

Gunner Rob wrote:

It's exactly this sort of shite thinking that will end up with us winning fuck all and stuck with a cult, just like fucking TOF. Except TOF won us the FA cups, which of course kept him in a job for years.

We will win the sum total of FA under Diet Pep and his non existent process :cussing:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

augie wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:08 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:

#trusttheprocess :roll: :roll: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :oops: :oops:
Actually 'Trust The Process' does sound like the kind of thing that would be used in a typical (as in load of bollocks) American Shampoo Adverts.

So imagine:

There this geezer all but completely Bald except for those awful looking wisps of straggly hair hanging around his ears and the voice over says (In a very cheery, happy, eat shit and still smile type voices):

"Yes, only an initial down payment of $500 (a then $1,000Month - they don't disclose that bit) and you can look young and cool again, simply rub the 'Wonder Product' into the scalp and in 2 years you will See Amazing results...So What are you waiting for?????

Then another voice that speaks so quickly you can't understand what the fuck it's saying... Reads out all the kinds of things that can go wrong and not to use their "Wonder Product" if you have any of the (endless) Health Issues; including Breathing etc

Then!!! Cut to the bald geezer wearing (an Obvious) Toupee playing with his kids/grand-kids in the back-garden smiling away, he then turns to the camera and says!!!

(any guesses????)

"Trust The Process".

:lol:

Natural Born Gooner

Post by Natural Born Gooner »

Just waking up and seeing him in that Salt Bae video trending on social media.

He deserves the immediate sack for that alone! :oops:

Nick Nack

Post by Nick Nack »

Natural Born Gooner wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:15 am
Just waking up and seeing him in that Salt Bae video trending on social media.

He deserves the immediate sack for that alone! :oops:
What a fucking bell end :oops:

Diet Pep not NBG!