other matches this weekend - Sean Dyche appreciation thread!

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Re: other matches this weekend

Post by augie »

I watched about 20 minutes of blackburn v wrexham first half and I put on a message on my buddies whatsapp group that the wrexham keeper is absolute dogshite ....... one of my manure supporting buddies pointed out that he is on loan from Arsenal :oops: :oops: Arthur Okonkwo is the player in question and he should have done better for the third goal, but was absolutely shocking for second goal :roll:

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

augie wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:27 pm
I watched about 20 minutes of blackburn v wrexham first half and I put on a message on my buddies whatsapp group that the wrexham keeper is absolute dogshite ....... one of my manure supporting buddies pointed out that he is on loan from Arsenal :oops: :oops: Arthur Okonkwo is the player in question and he should have done better for the third goal, but was absolutely shocking for second goal :roll:
He's the one who played in goal in a pre-season friendly against Hibs a couple of years ago and managed to miss the ball and give them an easy tap-in. We probably extended his contract on the spot.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

augie wrote:

He sounds just right for us, exactly how we've liked them the last 15 or so years.

Expect to see him in the first team sometime soon.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

augie wrote:

Don't shoot the messenger Augster! :D

BBC:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68088111

Manager Phil Parkinson says retaining loan signing Arthur Okonkwo is "massive" for Wrexham as they continue their push for promotion.

The 22-year-old goalkeeper signed a season-long loan from Arsenal last September.

The deadline for Okonkwo to be called back was 21 January and when no call came, Parkinson admits relief.

"It's a massive signing for us to keep Arthur, he's been exceptional for us," he said.

"He's a great lad and has bought in to everything the club is about. He's moved up here and he's been great to have around, but not just that, he's a terrific goalkeeper.

"When someone plays well you always worry that they've caught the eye of other teams. So yes, I was pleased when the clock struck 12 after the 21st."

Parkinson says he is in regular contact with the Arsenal loans manager saying "they've been brilliant with us."

"They're very interested in Arthur's progress, and they know we're looking after him well.

"This is a great stage for Arthur to play on, with the expectancy of everything here at Wrexham, playing in front of packed houses every week. They understand this is a great place for him to be."

Parkinson added most people look at who Hollywood-owned Wrexham might bring in during the January transfer window, but stresses the retention of players is just as important.

"Elliot Lee and Paul Mullin have signed new contracts, we've kept Arthur, that's a very good window so far," said Parkinson.

"If we do make an addition or two, that will be a bonus. It's important to use the window to also keep what you've got."

Wrexham are currently two points adrift of League Two leaders Stockport, with attention now turning to the fourth round of the FA Cup.

Wrexham will be looking to cause an upset when they travel to Championship outfit Blackburn Rovers on Monday, 29 January.

"We've worked very hard to get to this stage," said Parkinson.

"In my time here, we've always understood the tradition of club and the FA Cup.

"We've got to this stage after coming through some really tough games. What a great opportunity it is to go to Ewood Park with 7,000 of our own fans behind us.

"It's a game to really look forward too. It's about going there and giving a good account of ourselves, like we've done before in this competition.

"We know the league is our top priority but let's really focus on Monday night and enjoy everything that Wrexham football club is about.

"Our aim as a team is to go there and give a good account of ourselves. To create a cup upset we've got to run harder, we've got to run further, tackle stronger and pass it more crisply.

"Everything in our game must be that bit better, to give ourselves a chance of being in the hat."

augie

Post by augie »

Based on those 20 minutes (a very small sample I know), I think its safe to say that they neednt have worried about the phone ringing before January 21st - in fact based on last night that phone might never ring again :lol: :lol:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Thing is Wrexham's owners are American and they absolutely nothing about footb ..... :rubchin: Aaaaah! yes... never mind :D

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:56 pm
Thing is Wrexham's owners are American and they absolutely nothing about footb ..... :rubchin: Aaaaah! yes... never mind :D
They do know a good net tender when they see one though :barscarf: :barscarf:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:46 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:56 pm
They do know a good net tender when they see one though :barscarf: :barscarf:
I have heard they know how to Fix the Net :wink:

Midz

Post by Midz »

Weds Games

City v Burnley
Spurs v Brentford
Liverpool v Chelsea

It's very simple, all the away teams need to win. :D

Good luck to all of them.

goonertux

Post by goonertux »

One of them is! :lol: :lol: :lol:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

goonertux wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:53 pm
One of them is! :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol:

Just tuned in to see Brentford score a goal... :barscarf:

Hoddle Heart attack is doing punditry, but him and the commentator (dunno his name) and between them it sound like they are giving each other hand jobs every time th4 Scum doing anything positive... Talk about fucking Biased! :banghead:

Maddison diving and cheating like a Bitch

FUCK-OFF You SCUM! :box:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Clear foul by VanDick in the pen area but of course VAR don't award it against liVARpoo the Klopp love-in in full affect already :cussing:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

How the fuck do you spend a billion quid on players in 12 months and still be this fucking shit.

An incredible achievement.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:24 pm
Clear foul by VanDick in the pen area but of course VAR don't award it against liVARpoo the Klopp love-in in full affect already :cussing:
City still favourites but the officials will do everything in their power to get the victims over the line. That would 100% have been given down the other end so expect dark arts aplenty all the way home.

Nick Nack

Post by Nick Nack »

rodders999 wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:42 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:24 pm
City still favourites but the officials will do everything in their power to get the victims over the line. That would 100% have been given down the other end so expect dark arts aplenty all the way home.
110%.
It will be like the first season with VAR all over again :banghead: