Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

herbert

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by herbert »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:54 pm
wilson2.0 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:12 pm
Brighton lose again. Dreadful out of possession again. Now wonder they are 15th for goals conceded in the league. Cant believe De Zerbi gets linked too top jobs. Would love it if Bayern sack Tuchel and steal Alonso from Liverpool, and Liverpool nosebleed a De Zerbi appointment.

'Lets give De Zerbi a go'

Wait why are we now conceding so many goals.
You are starting to post like a WUM now. Posting to provoke a negative reaction. And doing that while repeatedly ignoring the direct questions augie has asked you. You're walking a thin line buddy.
More comedy gold :barscarf:

WUM
Negative reaction

Difference of opinion add a bit of sarcasm and your a WUM works both ways

The place is full of negative reactions to players / manager/ wilson
A lot of it provoked by Arsenal winning football matches :lol:

Lastly I would like to clarify that the questions are
If my auntie had bllx?
Feb and within striking distance of the top of the league is enough to keep Arteta in his job in the real Arsenal world

Despite what the experts think :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

herbert wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:26 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:54 pm
wilson2.0 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:12 pm
Brighton lose again. Dreadful out of possession again. Now wonder they are 15th for goals conceded in the league. Cant believe De Zerbi gets linked too top jobs. Would love it if Bayern sack Tuchel and steal Alonso from Liverpool, and Liverpool nosebleed a De Zerbi appointment.

'Lets give De Zerbi a go'

Wait why are we now conceding so many goals.
You are starting to post like a WUM now. Posting to provoke a negative reaction. And doing that while repeatedly ignoring the direct questions augie has asked you. You're walking a thin line buddy.
More comedy gold :barscarf:

WUM
Negative reaction

Difference of opinion add a bit of sarcasm and your a WUM works both ways

The place is full of negative reactions to players / manager/ wilson
A lot of it provoked by Arsenal winning football matches :lol:

Lastly I would like to clarify that the questions are
If my auntie had bllx?
Feb and within striking distance of the top of the league is enough to keep Arteta in his job in the real Arsenal world

Despite what the experts think :barscarf:
Not really sure what your problem is Herbert. You've always been treated with respect on here by myself. But you know what, if you don't like the forum, don't waste your time on it. Go to a nice blind sheep everything Arsenal do is right every Arsenal player is world class every Arsenal manager is a legend type forum. You know, the forums where the sheep go that have no clue about the actual sport of football.

When you were on here regularly blindly defending Wenger as he ran the club into the ground, a lot of posters asked for you to be banned as a WUM and I refused as I thought you at least tried to respectfully put your viewpoint across in a reasonable way - but your comment above is typical of some of the more stupid people we've had on here that butt in on something they really don't understand. The people that post to slag off the regulars but then cannot put up a coherent non-fantasy based argument of their own that proves the regulars wrong.

Out here in the real world away from the Arsenal schoolbag and the Arsenal hat and scarf and the Arsenal player posters on your wall, we question how the team and the club is run. And guess what? That's the whole idea behind free speech. Question. Debate. Argue.

But hey you go on now and blindly follow this one like you blindly followed Wenger and will probably blindly follow whoever replaces Arteta after he fails to deliver any major trophies with his inverted left back stroke of genius. Enjoy! But don't question anything! Believe! :lol:

herbert

Post by herbert »

I was looking at my posters on the wall ,scarf around my wrist and in full kit wanker attire and decided to have a look at the forum because I thought it might be a bit lighter with the negatives after Sunday's result and the 3 results before :barscarf:
I should have known better It was a bit like a vegan walking into an Angus steak house and expecting a lentil burger :lol:

I thought the two posts I highlighted were OTT towards a poster who is obviously happy that his team is close to the top and challenging ,especially Retro and I will stand by that but I'm also big enough to admit that my posts were a bit OTT to both of you especially the narcissist bit so I apologise

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

herbert wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:17 pm
I was looking at my posters on the wall ,scarf around my wrist and in full kit wanker attire and decided to have a look at the forum because I thought it might be a bit lighter with the negatives after Sunday's result and the 3 results before :barscarf:
I should have known better It was a bit like a vegan walking into an Angus steak house and expecting a lentil burger :lol:

I thought the two posts I highlighted were OTT towards a poster who is obviously happy that his team is close to the top and challenging ,especially Retro and I will stand by that but I'm also big enough to admit that my posts were a bit OTT to both of you especially the narcissist bit so I apologise

No need to apologise Herbert, I've been called worse (even on here :lol: ) and I'm far too perfect to be a narcissist. :wink:

To be honest, I don't think I've been particularly hard on Wilson....although answering augie's questions would be nice....and I even made the point that I could understand how he might view Arteta positively. There's a case that he and others have made and that's fair enough, just as it's fair enough for others to have doubts about Cone Boy.

What I'll stand by is that anyone who can honestly look at Havertz and think he's anything other than completely useless, really doesn't know what they're looking at. The chavs off-loaded him to the delight of their supporters, who've taken the piss out of us for signing him and no one else wanted his signature. Arteta paid £65 million and will give him 300k per week for 5 years.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

:rubchin:

So That's £65Million signing on fee (that went towards the Chavs coffers after they signed Mudryk) :rubchin: Plus £78Million for 5 years wages AND with Havertz in the team we are automatically down to 10 men. :rubchin: Hmmmmm! Heaven Forbid Anyone should think Arteta had made a Boo Boo.

:rubchin: £143Million We could have refurbished the stadium for that Or even bought two very decent players to strengthen our squad and help us challenge for Trophies.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

herbert wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:17 pm

No need to apologise mate but as you've offered it I will certainly accept in good faith and offer my own apology if my response was a bit OTT. As I said I've always found your contribution to be intelligent and respectful even though we agree on very little!! :wink:

Personally I'm delighted with the recent results, especially the victims and murdering wham results, but I can't let that detract from how paper thin our squad is, the glaring double elephant in the room called Havertz and Zinchenko, the late collapse last season, the fact we have not progressed this season, and the fact that a manager that Wilson is hailing as a genius has us in this perilous position after spending over £700million.

But let's hope I'm the one that is wrong here! Honestly. Let's pray to Christ I am! :|

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

Best defence in the league. Drilled to a fucking T off the ball. 10 clean sheets when the nearest rival has 8. Raya will win the golden glove this year.

Maybe if Arteta grew a David Brent goatee like De Zerbi, he might get some respect.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:18 am
Best defence in the league. Drilled to a fucking T off the ball. 10 clean sheets when the nearest rival has 8. Raya will win the golden glove this year.

Maybe if Arteta grew a David Brent goatee like De Zerbi, he might get some respect.
He has certainly got some respect from me in recent weeks.
Can we keep it up now we have to play 2 matches a week again though?

But you have to ask the question also why has it taken until now to start playing so well - yes we dug out some results, but there were some poor performances/results in there too. Despite scoring so many goals in recent weeks when it comes down to the pressure part of the season, have we really got someone to score that crucial goal?

It comes back to the same feeling I have about Arteta - yes the club probably couldn’t attract anyone better right now, but ultimately is he good enough to win much at the club? I still have my doubts.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

augie

Post by augie »

Very impressive scorelines no doubt, but four of those 5 opponents are either on a shit run at the mo, or are constantly shit

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

augie wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:10 pm
Very impressive scorelines no doubt, but four of those 5 opponents are either on a shit run at the mo, or are constantly shit
yeah just had a look at the form of those 4 teams.
in their last 20 league matches combined they have won just 2 :D

augie

Post by augie »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:50 am
augie wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:10 pm
yeah just had a look at the form of those 4 teams.
in their last 20 league matches combined they have won just 2 :D

I understand that in emery's last season and in diet pep's reign we have lost to teams like this too many times, but the reality is that we should be convincingly beating these shit teams and not getting carried away when we do - to read some comments, beating these teams proves that pep's cone boy is an elite manager, and odeargod to be a balon d'or contender :roll: :oops: :oops:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

The new Arsene

Will be good enough for many fans as he will get us top 4 on a regular basis. Serial loser in Europe. Will win the odd domestic cup here and there. Team will go on amazing 10-15 game runs playing swashbuckling football scoring plenty of goals...then suddenly put the handbrake on and collapse when it really matters. Will carry on the final day tradition of winning by 4 or 5 goals. Will always be 2 players away from the perfect team. Will always have a lovechild player who he will stubbornly stand by no matter what. Still we only had to endure that for 10 years too many before didn't we

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:31 pm
The new Arsene

Will be good enough for many fans as he will get us top 4 on a regular basis. Serial loser in Europe. Will win the odd domestic cup here and there. Team will go on amazing 10-15 game runs playing swashbuckling football scoring plenty of goals...then suddenly put the handbrake on and collapse when it really matters. Will carry on the final day tradition of winning by 4 or 5 goals. Will always be 2 players away from the perfect team. Will always have a lovechild player who he will stubbornly stand by no matter what. Still we only had to endure that for 10 years too many before didn't we

Yep, Mkll.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:31 pm
The new Arsene

I get the Wenger comparison but he is very much Wenger lite really.
His record in the domestic cups is appalling. Non league Maidstone United have got further in the FA Cup this season than we have in the past FOUR seasons.