Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

augie

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by augie »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:59 pm
augie wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:23 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:57 am
Midz wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:48 am
wilson2.0 wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:59 pm
I understand people dont like Arteta and this forms their basis for their opinion on him. However our defensive prowess is levelling up. Teams struggle to get into our final third let alone carve a string of high quality chances.

Ill still never understand the desire to see this manager sacked and replaced by a casual. Its irrational
I like Arteta and certainly don't want him replaced. He's doing a great job, has the desire and ambition needed. Sure he's gonna make a few errors but so what, so does everyone else.
They should give him another £700m in the summer.
Same, he has brought the team to the level now where both Pool and City see us as serious contenders on all fronts, and back above the spuds which wasn't very nice when they very nearly won the CL a few seasons back and finished above us in the league for several seasons.

The problem for Arteta is that in this era, its tougher than ever to win the league. Competition is rife, and the standards of even some of the clubs below us is insane. Put this side out in 2008, when we should have won the league and I believe they would have got over the line. We still need a few more players to complete the squad, but sooner or later I believe with Arteta we will hit the jackpot.

For the love of fcuk nutty, what the fcuk are you smoking cos that is a crazy statement - the standard of the premier league has NEVER been as poor as it is now, and early wenger teams would win this league by at least a dozen points. I know in the media hype sky world you are not supposed to highlight weaknesses or poor quality, but in every domestic league and in international football too, the quality of previous years is just not there anymore - I dont remember seeing a worse duo in premier league history than burnley and sheffield utd, and prior to yesterday the manure c.unts were only a few pts off top 4 and I think if they played the class of 92 team in the morning they wouldnt beat them :oops: :oops:
I am smoking something? Fuck me you must be on triple class A hallucinogenic pills.

You live on a different planet Augie, the standard of football these days from all the top clubs exceeds what was served up in previous eras bar maybe a few individual seasons. No matter what you say about Guardiola and Klopp, they have raised the bar over the last six or seven seasons. That's reflected in points hauls, and Arsenal are now starting to catch them up.

I can't talk football with people like you, continually sucking the energy out of anything our club does that's good. Sometimes I wonder why you bother, you'd be the most miserable fucker to sit next to at the Emirates.

Honestly why support Arsenal if you don't have a good word to say about anything.

Answer me this then, if the points that citeeh and the chavs have is now record levels, does that not back up my point that the gulf in quality now is extending ? You are trying to argue that it is a more competitive league now, but in reality if you have two or three teams winning more games than in years gone by, then it must mean that other clubs are losing more games than in previous seasons - the gulf is getting wider by the season and it is to be expected when you have teams earning bucket loads of extra income via european competition season after season

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

the playing mantis wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:07 pm
augie wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:51 am
wilson2.0 wrote:
I understand people dont like Arteta and this forms their basis for their opinion on him. However our defensive prowess is levelling up. Teams struggle to get into our final third let alone carve a string of high quality chances.

Ill still never understand the desire to see this manager sacked and replaced by a casual. Its irrational

You werent seen or heard of since porto game but I just knew that you would be back spouting after last nights game :lol: :lol:
As predicted augie. Still waiting for those answers arnt we?!
Well, to take the role of devils advocate, I think Wilson has some valid points and the schoolground bullying is quite pathetic.

I will add to this that it's very hypocritical to accuse Wilson of not posting on here after a loss when the accuser went AWOL for nearly the whole season until we fell away at the end.

I include a few posters there too, this season was the same, now we're third and looking unlikely to win the league and lost in the first leg to Porto it's happy hour for the miserable few.

Anyhow I will enjoy the wins, hate the losses and support the team even if at times it infuriates me.

Let's be honest here, the man city team is by far the best team the pl has seen and pool have been one of the best too.

Carry on.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:42 pm
Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:07 pm
augie wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:51 am
wilson2.0 wrote:

You werent seen or heard of since porto game but I just knew that you would be back spouting after last nights game :lol: :lol:
As predicted augie. Still waiting for those answers arnt we?!
Well, to take the role of devils advocate, I think Wilson has some valid points and the schoolground bullying is quite pathetic.

I will add to this that it's very hypocritical to accuse Wilson of not posting on here after a loss when the accuser went AWOL for nearly the whole season until we fell away at the end.

I include a few posters there too, this season was the same, now we're third and looking unlikely to win the league and lost in the first leg to Porto it's happy hour for the miserable few.

Anyhow I will enjoy the wins, hate the losses and support the team even if at times it infuriates me.

Let's be honest here, the man city team is by far the best team the pl has seen and pool have been one of the best too.

Carry on.
Tbf leftie he's been posed perfectly reasonable questions and completely ignored them.

Viv Andersons Tache

Post by Viv Andersons Tache »

augie wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:32 am
wilson2.0 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:41 pm
Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:34 pm
In the conte example I don't think he did fail tbh either. He had them going well but when it dawned him wtf he was doing at such a shite club he engineered it perfectly to get out as quickly as possible. He knew they were shite genetically and made a perfect escape and called them out in being shite which was hilarious.
Rather appropriately given the date nearly, all the BS points by US Wilson and Co just seem like groundhog day from the doldrums of wengers last decade.
People gaslight the role Arteta has done. He came in at the halfway mark during the 19-20 season, this was the year Liverpool and Man City got 97 and 98 points. They were miles ahead of us, 40 points better off. Liverpool and Man City have ran the PL for the past 6 years. The only manager who has come close to breaking into that club is Arteta, and he did it from a position of weakness.

Even now. The score is Liverpool 51, Man City 49, Arsenal 46. Were not miles away. Arteta is there with Klopp and Pep for the second season running. Yet people think this would be a given with any manager.

People say we should gamble and bring in someone like Conte. But to me its not a gamble, its pissing away our position. I think under Conte, we would have a lower ceiling, and a lower floor. Thats why I consider the idea of replacing Arteta with Conte to be braindead.

Would you gamble your house to win a donut? Because thats what a Conte appointment is.

1. Have our results declined since last season ?
2. Have our team performances regressed since last season ?
3. Is zinchenko a weak link at left back ?
4. Will jesus ever score enough goals to fire us to a league title ?
5. Have our best two young players (saka and martinelli) regressed this season ?
6. Has havertz been a good purchase ?
7. Would we be as high as we are in league table if manure, the chavs and the geordies were not having shit seasons ? Actually tbf to the geordies they are crippled with injuries
8. You keep referring to klopp, but seeing as he took over the victims in a worse place than we were when the cone boy was appointed, and given that the cone boy in 4 years has spent almost as much as klopp has in nine seasons, how the fcuk can you put diet pep in same bracket as klopp ??

You answer those questions honestly and there is no way you can put up a defence of cone boy
Ok I’ll answer them if Wilson won’t. They are good questions from Augie I think.

1. Not sure but if we are comparing our points total at this stage they have if you look at the total points probably so yes..
2. No Best defence in the league with the 2nd best goals scored, it’s very impressive . We look a stronger squad,too.
3. No not in the context of the results. He’s an option and probably not suited for away trips to Anfield etc however against most teams in the league it allows us to tactically deploy an extra midfield player. If it wasn’t for injuries I think he would have featured a lot less this season. It’s a more nuanced conversation than simply saying he’s a liability because he’s weaker at defending. Again we have lowest goals conceded and he’s part of an overall structure
4. Can’t see why not. City won the league with him although I would suggest another central striker should come in to offer variety
5. No way, I mean they are on fire right now and sakas numbers are amazing for a winger at this stage of the season.
6. Yes he’s been a good signing he was terrific against Newcastle causing all sorts of chaos. People need to stop comparing him to Xhaka as he’s not a direct replacement but a player who can provide us options in different areas . 7 goals so far isn’t bad for Kai
7. We’ll we have just smashed Newcastle and bar the keeper it was a strong side, you can always point behind you and suggest your success is because somebody else is screwing up but we are 3rd on our merit.
8. This is subjective really. Hard to make a comparison as klopp was more experienced when he joined and our squad had zero value add when Mikel joined. However klopp has had a bigger budget I think in his tenure and the Arsenal manager has and always will have to work to a lesser budget than our rivals, Arteta turned klopp over the other week. I’d say there isn’t much between them as managers apart from budget but it’s a subjective opinion.

Interesting questions I thought

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Viv Andersons Tache wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:26 pm
augie wrote:
wilson2.0 wrote:
In the conte example I don't think he did fail tbh either. He had them going well but when it dawned him wtf he was doing at such a shite club he engineered it perfectly to get out as quickly as possible. He knew they were shite genetically and made a perfect escape and called them out in being shite which was hilarious.
Rather appropriately given the date nearly, all the BS points by US Wilson and Co just seem like groundhog day from the doldrums of wengers last decade.
People gaslight the role Arteta has done. He came in at the halfway mark during the 19-20 season, this was the year Liverpool and Man City got 97 and 98 points. They were miles ahead of us, 40 points better off. Liverpool and Man City have ran the PL for the past 6 years. The only manager who has come close to breaking into that club is Arteta, and he did it from a position of weakness.

Even now. The score is Liverpool 51, Man City 49, Arsenal 46. Were not miles away. Arteta is there with Klopp and Pep for the second season running. Yet people think this would be a given with any manager.

People say we should gamble and bring in someone like Conte. But to me its not a gamble, its pissing away our position. I think under Conte, we would have a lower ceiling, and a lower floor. Thats why I consider the idea of replacing Arteta with Conte to be braindead.

Would you gamble your house to win a donut? Because thats what a Conte appointment is.

5. Have our best two young players (saka and martinelli) regressed this season ?
7. Would we be as high as we are in league table if manure, the chavs and the geordies were not having shit seasons ? Actually tbf to the geordies they are crippled with injuries
8. You keep referring to klopp, but seeing as he took over the victims in a worse place than we were when the cone boy was appointed, and given that the cone boy in 4 years has spent almost as much as klopp has in nine seasons, how the fcuk can you put diet pep in same bracket as klopp ??

You answer those questions honestly and there is no way you can put up a defence of cone boy
Ok I’ll answer them if Wilson won’t. They are good questions from Augie I think.

1. Not sure but if we are comparing our points total at this stage they have if you look at the total points probably so yes..
2. No Best defence in the league with the 2nd best goals scored, it’s very impressive . We look a stronger squad,too.
3. No not in the context of the results. He’s an option and probably not suited for away trips to Anfield etc however against most teams in the league it allows us to tactically deploy an extra midfield player. If it wasn’t for injuries I think he would have featured a lot less this season. It’s a more nuanced conversation than simply saying he’s a liability because he’s weaker at defending. Again we have lowest goals conceded and he’s part of an overall structure
4. Can’t see why not. City won the league with him although I would suggest another central striker should come in to offer variety
5. No way, I mean they are on fire right now and sakas numbers are amazing for a winger at this stage of the season.
6. Yes he’s been a good signing he was terrific against Newcastle causing all sorts of chaos. People need to stop comparing him to Xhaka as he’s not a direct replacement but a player who can provide us options in different areas . 7 goals so far isn’t bad for Kai
7. We’ll we have just smashed Newcastle and bar the keeper it was a strong side, you can always point behind you and suggest your success is because somebody else is screwing up but we are 3rd on our merit.
8. This is subjective really. Hard to make a comparison as klopp was more experienced when he joined and our squad had zero value add when Mikel joined. However klopp has had a bigger budget I think in his tenure and the Arsenal manager has and always will have to work to a lesser budget than our rivals, Arteta turned klopp over the other week. I’d say there isn’t much between them as managers apart from budget but it’s a subjective opinion.

Are you Wilson?

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:22 pm
augie wrote:
wilson2.0 wrote:

Are you Wilson?
answer 3 - :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: ...nuanced conversation....WTF...load of bollox
answer 6 - stopped reading

Viv Andersons Tache

Redarmy wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:45 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:22 pm
augie wrote:
wilson2.0 wrote:

Are you Wilson?
answer 3 - :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: ...nuanced conversation....WTF...load of bollox
a
Respect your opinion and all that but Why does it have to be one extreme or another? Could the actual truth be that for 70-80% of our games Zinchenko is fine then for the rest you need a defensively minded player in the position. Very hard to just deem him a total liability when we have the best defence in the league. He has his uses.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

augie wrote:
wilson2.0 wrote:

Some of your answers are a hard read.

Jesus never hit the high scores at man City.

Zinchenko is a weak link at left back. This has been proven since his injury.

Martinelli has regressed. Less goals and assists this season.

Havertz has not been a good signing. It seems you are basing it on a few games instead of the whole season so far.

If this were Scooby Doo we'd probably try to pull that mask off to see old man Wilson :lol:

Viv Andersons Tache

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:57 pm
augie wrote:
wilson2.0 wrote:

Havertz has not been a good signing. It seems you are basing it on a few games instead of the whole season so far.

If this were Scooby Doo we'd probably try to pull that mask off to see old man Wilson :lol:
I’d be interested in the guys opinion to be honest.

We will have to agree to disagree on your other comments, I’m not sure it’s a common opinion shared by many that Martinelli has regressed as he’s still a fine player and it’s not punishable by death having lower numbers mid season. Some people will never warm to Havertz because of his style and where he came from however I remember quite a bit of hysteria when Jorginho came in and he looks a shrewd bit of business right now.

Only joined today. Clicked on the link and saw the naming conventions for the match days threads and couldn’t stop chuckling to myself (needed cheering up) :lol:

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:15 pm
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
augie wrote:
wilson2.0 wrote:

We will have to agree to disagree on your other comments, I’m not sure it’s a common opinion shared by many that Martinelli has regressed as he’s still a fine player and it’s not punishable by death having lower numbers mid season. Some people will never warm to Havertz because of his style and where he came from however I remember quite a bit of hysteria when Jorginho came in and he looks a shrewd bit of business right now.

Only joined today. Clicked on the link and saw the naming conventions for the match days threads and couldn’t stop chuckling to myself (needed cheering up) :lol:
It's nice to have all sorts of opinions on the Arsenal. Otherwise it would be very boring.

Welcome to the forum.

Viv Andersons Tache

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:29 pm
Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:15 pm
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
augie wrote:

It's nice to have all sorts of opinions on the Arsenal. Otherwise it would be very boring.

Welcome to the forum.
:cheers: :cheers:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Yes, fair point IW8....welcome aboard Viv. You'll find that most of us are curmudgeonly bastards on here, so we need some positive voices, especially ones that engage with the debate.

Viv..... Wilson? :rubchin:

:lol: :wink:

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

Welcome aboard, Viv.

Natural Born Gooner

Post by Natural Born Gooner »

Piglips at it again tonight on his podcast. Blokes definitely still on the gear if he thinks this!
Rio Ferdinand: "Mikel Arteta would leave Arsenal to join Man United, 100 per cent."

"No one is saying it’s happening but if Man United in a wild dream said, ‘do you know what, Erik ten Hag, thank you’ or Erik ten Hag has been poached by Bayern Munich, and he goes there, and then Man United say top of the list is Arteta, Arteta is going in and saying to the lads, ‘listen guys, it’s been emotional but I’ve got to move, I’ve got to go.’"

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Natural Born Gooner wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:51 pm
Piglips at it again tonight on his podcast. Blokes definitely still on the gear if he thinks this!
Rio Ferdinand: "Mikel Arteta would leave Arsenal to join Man United, 100 per cent."

"No one is saying it’s happening but if Man United in a wild dream said, ‘do you know what, Erik ten Hag, thank you’ or Erik ten Hag has been poached by Bayern Munich, and he goes there, and then Man United say top of the list is Arteta, Arteta is going in and saying to the lads, ‘listen guys, it’s been emotional but I’ve got to move, I’ve got to go.’"
A useless pundit trying to stay in the limelight