Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

TeeCee

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by TeeCee »

I honestly think there are some on here who wouldn't be happy if we won the league. They'd still moan about certain players or the manager or the way we play or the colour of the away kit.
For years most said all we want is that we complete, for the big trophies and we're doing it despite being up against the biggest financially doped club in football history.
We have some very average players yes, but they all make a squad that is fighting for the title that's seriously tough to win but we have a chance. I'm in wonderland at how we've played recently, absolutely fucking wonderful!

Viv Andersons Tache

Post by Viv Andersons Tache »

herbert wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:48 pm
Whisper it quietly but he is doing ok

Massive smiles from his fanboys in the away end on Monday ,we have celebrated 17 goals in 3 away games , unbelievable

I get that some on here have doubts and that's all good but for me if you are more bothered by writing paragraphs on all the negatives over all the positives these last 2 months then I think you are missing the point of following a football team

Taking White off for whatever reason and replacing him with Cedric is not something to bash a manager who is 5 or 6 nil up and most probably keen to make the best decision to try not to concede because of the extra point that goal difference can give you

Kai Havertz is playing well & scoring and more importantly for me is a cog in the current Arsenal wheel that is turning very nicely ATM so no need to keep stating that he his shit ,why? Just enjoy the wheel turning nicely :lol:

And slate it when it falls off :lol:

Sorry to be so blunt but it's all about opinions
This is it. Absolutely nailed on.

If you find yourself getting wound up by the timing and selection of substitutions the manager makes when we are 6 nil up away from home you need a new hobby. Maybe UFC or something.

Our away fans who go in week in and out are buzzing right now. There will be setbacks and if we go out to Porto I don’t doubt the naysayers will return demanding Arteta go for his mistakes or whatever but we are clearly heading in the right direction.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Viv Andersons Tache wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:52 pm
herbert wrote:

Massive smiles from his fanboys in the away end on Monday ,we have celebrated 17 goals in 3 away games , unbelievable

I get that some on here have doubts and that's all good but for me if you are more bothered by writing paragraphs on all the negatives over all the positives these last 2 months then I think you are missing the point of following a football team

Taking White off for whatever reason and replacing him with Cedric is not something to bash a manager who is 5 or 6 nil up and most probably keen to make the best decision to try not to concede because of the extra point that goal difference can give you

Kai Havertz is playing well & scoring and more importantly for me is a cog in the current Arsenal wheel that is turning very nicely ATM so no need to keep stating that he his shit ,why? Just enjoy the wheel turning nicely :lol:

If you find yourself getting wound up by the timing and selection of substitutions the manager makes when we are 6 nil up away from home you need a new hobby. Maybe UFC or something.

Our away fans who go in week in and out are buzzing right now. There will be setbacks and if we go out to Porto I don’t doubt the naysayers will return demanding Arteta go for his mistakes or whatever but we are clearly heading in the right direction.
So what you're saying is don't question anything about Arteta or the team and if you do then go watch another sport?

Viv Andersons Tache

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:58 pm
herbert wrote:

So what you're saying is don't question anything about Arteta or the team and if you do then go watch another sport?
No I didn’t say that I said if you find yourself getting wound up about minor details that occur in massive victories for Arsenal it’s time to watch another sport.

Perfectly logical to question things especially if you spend a fortune following the side.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

The away fans that kept tof in place for years past his sell by date as they wouldn't speak against and were too busy coked up and simply enjoying the outing rather than caring what they saw in front of them???

People have such short memories, yes we it's right to enjoy what's happening but perfectly fair to worry it could revert to pre new year again.such is life now people have 0 perspective everything is instant and judged on what's just happened.

It's natural to harbour reservations but hope they are unfounded.

It's also right to contextualise what's happening. Yes we have been brilliant but against rubbish mostly as well ad the state of the league.

A forum is a place to discuss and vent and worry, if things were going perfectly then traffic would be low as people dont need to vent to likeminded or discuss issues. That's my view anyway. When we are winning consistently then we don't feel the need to post blowing smoke up each others arses.

There are some flip floppers on this thread which is quite amusing given their previous views. Some who will always be unhappy and some highbury jd superfans who know better than, everyone see things that don't exist but insist it makes them more knowledgeable, but disappear when it goes tits up like last season. then there are some who are reasoned but wary.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:39 pm
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
herbert wrote:

No I didn’t say that I said if you find yourself getting wound up about minor details that occur in massive victories for Arsenal it’s time to watch another sport.

Perfectly logical to question things especially if you spend a fortune following the side.
Cool your jets there superfan vivtothree. :wink:

You will find there are very few armchair warriors on this forum. The vast majority here are blokes in their 40s and 50s that spent decades and small fortunes following the Arsenal since the 70s and 80s. Long before it became trendy.

Serious question for you and Herbert. Did either of you travel away or even go to Highbury regularly in the 70s and 80s or even the 90s? Because if you did you'd know this forum reflects that culture where our fans would support the team but have a good old grumble about players or managers in the pub afterwards. Fuck, I can remember the boo boys in the clock end giving Mickey Thomas serious shit for playing badly the year after he scored that goal at Anfield.

When a player or a manager does well, they get praised. When they make a mistake, they get called out. Not sure what the problem is with that? Especially now when they are paid millions. Is it somehow seen to be more loyal to be blindly sheep like and never criticise the team or manager?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

TeeCee wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:52 pm
I honestly think there are some on here who wouldn't be happy if we won the league. They'd still moan about certain players or the manager or the way we play or the colour of the away kit.
For years most said all we want is that we complete, for the big trophies and we're doing it despite being up against the biggest financially doped club in football history.
We have some very average players yes, but they all make a squad that is fighting for the title that's seriously tough to win but we have a chance. I'm in wonderland at how we've played recently, absolutely fucking wonderful!
That's a silly thing to post TeeCee mate. :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I should also point out that when the owners and Kev set up this forum the whole idea was to make it feel like the pub after a match, where Gooners could go to talk Arsenal, have a laugh, have a rant and vent, and talk about tits. :lol: :wink:

Viv Andersons Tache

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:06 pm
Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:39 pm
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
herbert wrote:

Cool your jets there superfan vivtothree. :wink:

You will find there are very few armchair warriors on this forum. The vast majority here are blokes in their 40s and 50s that spent decades and small fortunes following the Arsenal since the 70s and 80s. Long before it became trendy.

Serious question for you and Herbert. Did either of you travel away or even go to Highbury regularly in the 70s and 80s or even the 90s? Because if you did you'd know this forum reflects that culture where our fans would support the team but have a good old grumble about players or managers :D in the pub afterwards. Fuck, I can remember the boo boys in the clock end giving Mickey Thomas serious shit for playing badly the year after he :D scored that goal at Anfield.

When a player or a manager does well, they get praised. When they make a mistake, they get called out. Not sure what the problem is with that? Especially now when they are paid millions. Is it somehow seen to be more loyal to be blindly sheep like and never criticise the team or manager?
:D :D
Hi mate
You are right about mickey in the 80s and actually Paul Davis was a victim of the boo boys a bit too if you recall. Even that felt a bit much.

All I said was that I agreed with Herbie. By all means criticise the manager if we are getting thrashed all over the place by sides but the timing and selections of substitutions during a 6 nil annihilation :D

70s no too soon. Later

Players getting praised when they do well. Not sure about that I’ve been reading Havertz getting pelters after 3 consecutive 5 goal plus hauls when he’s played superbly (he’s even turned the pundits round) everyone’s perfectly entitled to their opinion aren’t they but I tend to agree with nut flash in that some of these comments are mental to read if not really funny.

Viv Andersons Tache

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:23 pm
I should also point out that when the owners and Kev set up this forum the whole idea was to make it feel like the pub after a match, where Gooners could go to talk Arsenal, have a laugh, have a rant and vent, and talk about tits. :lol: :wink:
Shame Kevin Whitcher left the gooner. I thought his editorials always tended to nail things about Arsenal.

herbert

Post by herbert »

I am lucky by location to have been going over the Arsenal since 73
I don't go to home games that much now but circumstances age,job,kids grown up and the Mrs loving me fkin off every 2 weeks :D have allowed me to follow them away for many years & I first joined the travel club in 78

And I don't do coke :D

I agree with the grumbling in the pub but can you remember it being carried on all week ?,you would have a moan & questioning of players & manager after a bad performance get it out of your system and ready to back them again the following week and be full of praise after a win

Questioning the manager is part of football but you have to balance that out with giving some praise when he gets things right and without going in to to much detail & stats :D there is a lot of repetition of the same questions when they are not affecting performance or more importantly the position that us supporters want us to be in

I think the over analyzing of your team players & manager came with the introduction of sky & stats :D

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:40 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Shame Kevin Whitcher left the gooner. I thought his editorials always tended to nail things about Arsenal.
He still does a review of all our games the day after we play on X/Twitter similar to when he wrote for the gooner

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:32 pm
Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:40 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
He still does a review of all our games the day after we play on X/Twitter similar to when he wrote for the gooner

https://kevinwhitchersarsenalblog.blogs ... h.html?m=1

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

Barcelona sniffing around Arteta again. And why wouldn't they. All you need to do is watch Arsenal games to see how well drilled we are. How good we are set up tactically.

The prevailing sentiment that Arteta should be sacked and we 'give someone else a go' has to be one of them most self-sabotage means of thinking ive seen in a long time. Some of the names that people have dropped to replace Arteta with are utter mental. Namely that fraud in Brighton who couldn't set up a chess board let alone a football defence. Please Liverpool go for De Zerbi after Xabi rejects you for Bayern.

subtleasaheadbutt

Post by subtleasaheadbutt »

herbert wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:41 pm
I am lucky by location to have been going over the Arsenal since 73
I don't go to home games that much now but circumstances age,job,kids grown up and the Mrs loving me fkin off every 2 weeks :D have allowed me to follow them away for many years & I first joined the travel club in 78

And I don't do coke :D

I agree with the grumbling in the pub but can you remember it being carried on all week ?,you would have a moan & questioning of players & manager after a bad performance get it out of your system and ready to back them again the following week and be full of praise after a win

Questioning the manager is part of football but you have to balance that out with giving some praise when he gets things right and without going in to to much detail & stats :D there is a lot of repetition of the same questions when they are not affecting performance or more importantly the position that us supporters want us to be in

I think the over analyzing of your team players & manager came with the introduction of sky & stats :D
Dont take the complaining so seriously...just remember most of them complaining are Irish on here. Thats why they are fucking miserable