Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

herbert

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by herbert »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:05 pm
herbert wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:49 pm
Natural Born Gooner wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:02 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:14 pm

:lol:

It's comical really, the attempts at wumming that nobody buys. The all-knowing award panel have made Arteta Manager of the Month (quite justifiably) , so we should all hang our heads in shame for daring to harbour doubts about the Basque genius. It really is schoolboy level stuff.

We saw it last season, the usual suspects coming on here telling us how we'd all be eating our words following our disloyal criticisms of Arteta and even Xhaka ffs, only for them all to disappear when we imploded as usual. They never learn, so back they come like cultists, blowing their fanboy trumpets and believing any criticism of the club, manager, or players is heresy.

Everyone on here desperately wants us to batter every other side and win every trophy available, but to think that must exclude any critical analysis is a fucking juvenile mindset. In fact, it's those of us who most badly want success who tend to be the critics. I've always longed to see the Arsenal once again as the team of the 30s, winning trophies year after year and carrying all before them. It's never happened in my lifetime and on the two or three occasions that building that legacy might have been possible (early 70s, early 90s, Wenger's early years), the club/manager got it wrong. I've seen Liverpool of the 70s and 80s do it and Fergie's Utd (I wont include the paid for success of the Chavs and City, because for me it doesn't carry the same honourable weight) and I want to see the Arsenal do it, both domestically and in Europe. I want us to be spoken of in the same breath as R Madrid, Barca, Bayern, Juve, Milan and yes, Liverpool and Utd. That's where we ought to be and wanting that so fucking badly makes me as critical as I am.

So Viv, Nutty, Wilson etc, you'll see us all cheer long and loud when the time is right and when the doubts that have haunted us for almost 20 years are properly laid to rest. Forgive us for not putting the bunting out over a Manager of the Month award.
I think this is nail on the head and actually the bolded bit is a sad indictment on us as a club, that we've rich in a history of winning trophies, but apart from the 30's haven't dominated English football that a club of our name and stature should have, especially as we are the biggest and most successful club in the biggest city in Europe/the world.

It pissed us off that we never got to dominate in the 89-91's with a young and hungry team, it pissed us off that Man U were always there to beat us to a title (and makes us love their demise even more now), it pissed us off Chelski were allowed to buy all their trophies, and now it's pissing us off that Citeh can just cheat their way to domination. Why can't we get that sustained period of domination?

I'm sure if this forum was about in Wengers early years in the late 90'/early 2000's there'd have been posters (including me) bemoaning missed opportunities and throwing out advice to the manager for playing Vivas, Diawara or any other sub par player back then when they weren't good enough and questioning his tactics. That team from 98-2005 should have won 2/3 more titles, (including 2 doubles and a 2004 treble) at a minimum and a couple of CL's :cry:
Which is ok as long as you find the same energy to write the words praising them when it is going ok

I didn’t get the memo Herbert, when were you given the job of policing the posts on here? I’ll tell you what’s ok, it’s ok for people to post whatever opinions they want on here and it’s also ok for others to challenge them.

Anyway, I assume you’ll be on here slating the club/manager/underperforming players if the wheels come off again, although I don’t recall you doing that last season. Has to work both ways mate.

As I said earlier, everyone on here wants us to win every trophy available, but people are entitled to express their opinions if there are glaring reasons why we’re falling short.
I'm not an analyst fella
My memol is supporter and I agree the last sentence of your first paragraph

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Retro Gunner wrote:

It's comical really, the attempts at wumming that nobody buys. The all-knowing award panel have made Arteta Manager of the Month (quite justifiably) , so we should all hang our heads in shame for daring to harbour doubts about the Basque genius. It really is schoolboy level stuff.

We saw it last season, the usual suspects coming on here telling us how we'd all be eating our words following our disloyal criticisms of Arteta and even Xhaka ffs, only for them all to disappear when we imploded as usual. They never learn, so back they come like cultists, blowing their fanboy trumpets and believing any criticism of the club, manager, or players is heresy.

Everyone on here desperately wants us to batter every other side and win every trophy available, but to think that must exclude any critical analysis is a fucking juvenile mindset. In fact, it's those of us who most badly want success who tend to be the critics. I've always longed to see the Arsenal once again as the team of the 30s, winning trophies year after year and carrying all before them. It's never happened in my lifetime and on the two or three occasions that building that legacy might have been possible (early 70s, early 90s, Wenger's early years), the club/manager got it wrong. I've seen Liverpool of the 70s and 80s do it and Fergie's Utd (I wont include the paid for success of the Chavs and City, because for me it doesn't carry the same honourable weight) and I want to see the Arsenal do it, both domestically and in Europe. I want us to be spoken of in the same breath as R Madrid, Barca, Bayern, Juve, Milan and yes, Liverpool and Utd. That's where we ought to be and wanting that so fucking badly makes me as critical as I am.

So Viv, Nutty, Wilson etc, you'll see us all cheer long and loud when the time is right and when the doubts that have haunted us for almost 20 years are properly laid to rest. Forgive us for not putting the bunting out over a Manager of the Month award.
I think this is nail on the head and actually the bolded bit is a sad indictment on us as a club, that we've rich in a history of winning trophies, but apart from the 30's haven't dominated English football that a club of our name and stature should have, especially as we are the biggest and most successful club in the biggest city in Europe/the world.

It pissed us off that we never got to dominate in the 89-91's with a young and hungry team, it pissed us off that Man U were always there to beat us to a title (and makes us love their demise even more now), it pissed us off Chelski were allowed to buy all their trophies, and now it's pissing us off that Citeh can just cheat their way to domination. Why can't we get that sustained period of domination?

I'm sure if this forum was about in Wengers early years in the late 90'/early 2000's there'd have been posters (including me) bemoaning missed opportunities and throwing out advice to the manager for playing Vivas, Diawara or any other sub par player back then when they weren't good enough and questioning his tactics. That team from 98-2005 should have won 2/3 more titles, (including 2 doubles and a 2004 treble) at a minimum and a couple of CL's :cry:

Agreed NBG. The early 70s was a less obvious opportunity, but poor management at both executive and team level reduced us from a top side to a poor one in 2-3 seasons.

The early 90s was a great opportunity, because in 91 we were head and shoulders above anyone else in the league, but I think the hubris got to George and he made some bad decisions…getting rid of quality players and bringing in second raters. By the time he got the bullet in the 94/95 season, we were fucking awful.

Then the early Wenger years, when as you say, we should have won a lot more than we did, including the CL. It used to drive me nuts that we were always just a couple of quality players short and that Wenger could never see it, or was never prepared to do anything about it. As good as the teams from those early years were, it’s easy to forget how much sub-optimal crap was also in the squad.

So yeah, we’ve been within touching distance of being in a position to dominate for a sustained period, but lack of investment or judgement has always fucked us. There’s never any guarantees, but you have to give yourself the best chance of success and we always seem to fail to do that.

Viv Andersons Tache

Post by Viv Andersons Tache »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:20 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:

Agreed NBG. The early 70s was a less obvious opportunity, but poor management at both executive and team level reduced us from a top side to a poor one in 2-3 seasons.

The early 90s was a great opportunity, because in 91 we were head and shoulders above anyone else in the league, but I think the hubris got to George and he made some bad decisions…getting rid of quality players and bringing in second raters. By the time he got the bullet in the 94/95 season, we were fucking awful.

Then the early Wenger years, when as you say, we should have won a lot more than we did, including the CL. It used to drive me nuts that we were always just a couple of quality players short and that Wenger could never see it, or was never prepared to do anything about it. As good as the teams from those early years were, it’s easy to forget how much sub-optimal crap was also in the squad.

So yeah, we’ve been within touching distance of being in a position to dominate for a sustained period, but lack of investment or judgement has always fucked us. There’s never any guarantees, but you have to give yourself the best chance of success and we always seem to fail to do that.
Actually this is a good one. Agree mate, 92 season we finished on such a high with wrighty winning the golden boot, confidence through the roof and everyone on form, 7 against Sheffield, 4 against Liverpool and finished impressively, we were installed as title favourites for the next season by the bookies and in the summer George sold rocky to Leeds signed John Jensen and we lost our first 2 games. Bloody typical THAT was bad management, not the current stuff subbing the right back when we are 6 nil up.

Viv Andersons Tache

Post by Viv Andersons Tache »

Bloody hell that’s made me remember between 91 after Ian wright and 95 we made 2 decent signings in 4 years. Boom boom keown and I’ll say Hartson as well because at least we got a decent fee when we sold him. The rest ? Horrible trash like Helder, mcgoldrick and co. 2 decent players in 4 years. People these days would be combusting all following a league title. A total waste

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Viv Andersons Tache wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:51 pm
Bloody hell that’s made me remember between 91 after Ian wright and 95 we made 2 decent signings in 4 years. Boom boom keown and I’ll say Hartson as well because at least we got a decent fee when we sold him. The rest ? Horrible trash like Helder, mcgoldrick and co. 2 decent players in 4 years. People these days would be combusting all following a league title. A total waste

Yeah. George is a hero to most on here, but I was desperate for him to be gone for those final two seasons at least. Even in ‘93, when we won both domestic cups, the team was underperforming in the league and was on the slide. The title winning side of ‘91 was a cracking team and George had them drilled and we had flair as well as the resolute defence.

If I remember correctly, he sold Limpar at the end of the ‘91 season, which made no sense at all. The guy was brilliant for us.

augie

Post by augie »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:56 pm

Yeah. George is a hero to most on here, but I was desperate for him to be gone for those final two seasons at least. Even in ‘93, when we won both domestic cups, the team was underperforming in the league and was on the slide. The title winning side of ‘91 was a cracking team and George had them drilled and we had flair as well as the resolute defence.

If I remember correctly, he sold Limpar at the end of the ‘91 season, which made no sense at all. The guy was brilliant for us.

GG is a God to me and I wont deny it - I know the money situation is different to now, but GG broke a scouse dominance similar to what we are experiencing with citeeh now, and I honestly dont feel that he ever got the credit he deserved for ending that dominance. The fact that he did it with a core of homegrown talent (TA6, Rocky, Mickey T, merse, quinny etc) really amplified the enjoyment o it all for me, and is a large part of the reason why I cannot stand watching our homegrown players like smith-rowe getting cast aside like he is. I will add the fact that GG's style of football pissed off so many non Gooners and that too heightened my enjoyment even more. I know we had declined and become a cup team by the end of GG's era, but even then we could beat teams that were much better than us, and we havent experienced that type of grit, determination and belief from any Arsenal team since. Will always be our best manager in my book 8)

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

augie wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:12 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:

GG is a God to me and I wont deny it - I know the money situation is different to now, but GG broke a scouse dominance similar to what we are experiencing with citeeh now, and I honestly dont feel that he ever got the credit he deserved for ending that dominance. The fact that he did it with a core of homegrown talent (TA6, Rocky, Mickey T, merse, quinny etc) really amplified the enjoyment o it all for me, and is a large part of the reason why I cannot stand watching our homegrown players like smith-rowe getting cast aside like he is. I will add the fact that GG's style of football pissed off so many non Gooners and that too heightened my enjoyment even more. I know we had declined and become a cup team by the end of GG's era, but even then we could beat teams that were much better than us, and we havent experienced that type of grit, determination and belief from any Arsenal team since. Will always be our best manager in my book 8)
I find it difficult to read this when you constantly jibe at Arteta, GG was the best manager in the league between 1989-91 after that season he presided over a decline in the league standing and in a similar way to Wenger post 2006, we became a cup team that never had a hope of winning the league after 1992.

He was responsible for coaching the talent out of players like Anders Limpar, personally one of my favs at the time and David Rocastle ok you could kind of give GG some rope there because Rocky did have fitness issues, but I wasn't happy when he was sold. Worst of all having his fingers in the till, and fucking off to manage that fucking shower in N17.

By comparison, Arteta has brought us out of the gutter post Wenger, this week we have seen skill, resilience and a never say die attitude especially yesterday, that GG would be proud of. Havertz is making a lot of people look stupid, yeah he misses sitters but there is a player in there that a lot of PL fans where raving about when he was in Germany. Arteta is bringing that player out showing a lot of faith in him.

nut flush gooner

augie wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:

I find it difficult to read this when you constantly jibe at Arteta, GG was the best manager in the league between 1989-91 after that season he presided over a decline in the league standing and in a similar way to Wenger post 2006, we became a cup team that never had a hope of winning the league after 1992.

He was responsible for coaching the talent out of players like Anders Limpar, personally one of my favs at the time and David Rocastle ok you could kind of give GG some rope there because Rocky did have fitness issues, but I wasn't happy when he was sold. Worst of all having his fingers in the till, and fucking off to manage that fucking shower in N17.

By comparison, Arteta has brought us out of the gutter post Wenger, this week we have seen skill, resilience and a never say die attitude especially yesterday, that GG would be proud of. Havertz is making a lot of people look stupid, yeah he misses sitters but there is a player in there that a lot of PL fans where raving about when he was in Germany. Arteta is bringing that player out showing a lot of faith in him.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:43 am
augie wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:

He's making no one look stupid.

Yes he scored the winner and fair play to him but earlier on he didn't even hit the target while one on one with the keeper.

You can't say "yeah he misses sitters but.."

He has to put those chances away when they come. Especially against tougher opposition.

nut flush gooner

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:57 am
nut flush gooner wrote:
augie wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:

Yes he scored the winner and fair play to him but earlier on he didn't even hit the target while one on one with the keeper.

He has to put those chances away when they come. Especially against tougher opposition.
He scored the winning goal in a CL final?

Unbelievable how people are so far gone in here that they won't concede he's making a vital contribution to the team and has done since xmas really.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:38 am
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
augie wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:

Unbelievable how people are so far gone in here that they won't concede he's making a vital contribution to the team and has done since xmas really.
I never said he's not making a contribution.

I said he's making no one look stupid.

And what is this obsession with the CL final goal :lol:

Origi scored the winner for Liverpool against the scum. Let's sign him up!!

GG must have thought the same way watching John Jenson score the opener in the 1992 European Final.

That worked out well didn't it

nut flush gooner

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:55 am
nut flush gooner wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:38 am
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
augie wrote:

I never said he's not making a contribution.

I said he's making no one look stupid.

And what is this obsession with the CL final goal :lol:

Origi scored the winner for Liverpool against the scum. Let's sign him up!!

GG must have thought the same way watching John Jenson score the opener in the 1992 European Final.

That worked out well didn't it
Quote "tougher opposition". Remove that and I don't even bother replying.

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

Top of the league after 28 matches. Competing at the top end with two fantastic managers. And yet some people are ready to 'give someone else a turn' for no other reason than what they think they know about Arteta as a manager.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:57 am
Top of the league after 28 matches. Competing at the top end with two fantastic managers. And yet some people are ready to 'give someone else a turn' for no other reason than what they think they know about Arteta as a manager.
Well, you’re entitled to your opinion Wilson, but personally I’d like to see Arteta replaced with De Zerbi.

Brighton took a right pasting in Rome on Thursday, but like all great managers, he picked his players up and engineered a fabulous 1-0 home win against Forest. Yep, Roberto’s the man for me.

:lol: :wink:

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:23 am
wilson2.0 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:57 am
Well, you’re entitled to your opinion Wilson, but personally I’d like to see Arteta replaced with De Zerbi.

Brighton took a right pasting in Rome on Thursday, but like all great managers, he picked his players up and engineered a fabulous 1-0 home win against Forest. Yep, Roberto’s the man for me.

:lol: :wink:
This has to be a wind up. Im actually hoping Alonso goes to Bayern and Liverpool panic a Roberto appointment. Good going forward and can coach a team in possession, but out of possession and off the ball, Brighton are a nightmare. It would be like the later day Wenger years. Good results and good football, but in between inconsistent results and getting flogged.

Arteta has taken out of those banter days. Not above getting beat, but no team will piss take us like all those 5-1 6-0 8-2 6-3 results we had a habit of clocking up. That would be by biggest concern with De Zerbi, that overnight we would go from a team that is hard to score against, to a team that leaks goals.