Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

the playing mantis

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by the playing mantis »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:31 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:18 am
nut flush gooner wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:35 am
So whats the verdict on Mikel now, he's winning every way for me. Good, bad, ugly.

And he's made mistakes on the way, but got a lot of things right along the way. Walking out of the North Bank last night, the consensus was that he got it right with Raya, and we shouldn't really question his decisions. Ramsdale wouldn't have made those saves, as much as I love Rambo, his time at Arsenal is done now. MA is ruthless.

We used to exist in the CL at the end of Wenger's reign, we are now joint 2nd favs behind City, with RM.
Seriously? Do you believe this "concensus"? I never had you down as a sheep Nutty, but Jesus that is a sheep-like comment mate.

We are on a really good run. Last season we were also on a good run and Arteta completely shit the bed. What happens if the same thing occurs this season? Can we question him then?

For me he has proven nothing except that he can get us on a good run after spending 700million.

That's good. But it's not great.

Winning trophies is what I call great. That's the standard a manager of the Arsenal must be judged by.
Not sure last seasons failure to clinch the title was purely down to Arteta

We lost Saliba at a crucial time and I think from memory had to play Holding ?
Players fucked up at vital times - Ramsdale passing it to a Southampton player on the edge of our box in the opening moments
Partey attempting to flick it over Rice away at West Ham with us cruising 2-0 up
Xhaka being a twat at Anfield again at 2-0 up

So, players / circumstances also responsible
( no excuse for the capitulation at home to Brighton )

We are in a run of 8 straight wins in the league - top of the table , in the last 8 of the champions league for the first time in absolute years and still people question is he doing a good job.

Add in the atmosphere at home games and away alike and we are still fighting against officials and VAR alike game after game.

We haven’t peaked yet, nowhere near, yet we are challenging hard a City side who are potentially on for an unprecedented 4th title in a row and current treble winners.

I will take what Arteta and the team is currently producing over the possibility of whatever replacement manager you can name would offer.
We have the most wins, most goals scored, least goals conceded- :rubchin: what more do we expect ?

A huge part of Rice signing for us was his belief in Arteta - Martinelli, Saka, Saliba all signed new contracts when previously our star players were constantly linked with going elsewhere.

Is it perfect ? No, but it ain’t too shabby for a cone boy :lol:
Who picks, signs, trains the players Stuart....

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

augie wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:52 am
nut flush gooner wrote:
So whats the verdict on Mikel now, he's winning every way for me. Good, bad, ugly.

And he's made mistakes on the way, but got a lot of things right along the way. Walking out of the North Bank last night, the consensus was that he got it right with Raya, and we shouldn't really question his decisions. Ramsdale wouldn't have made those saves, as much as I love Rambo, his time at Arsenal is done now. MA is ruthless.

We used to exist in the CL at the end of Wenger's reign, we are now joint 2nd favs behind City, with RM.

Bullshit - where is the ruthless streak with zinchenko ? Last night for an hour I thought havertz worked hard, but scoring a goals against shit teams doesnt mean the cone boy was correct buying him for 65m so where is the ruthless streak there ? I shouldnt need to say it, but a ruthless manager would have taken saka off last night cos he was shit and falling over at times when porto players breathed on him - pep looked at de bruyne hiding in a big game last Sunday and subbed him off regardless of what he done in the past, and that is what ruthless managers do. Diet pep is ruthless when it suits him, but with other players it is completely different story

2nd favourites to win champs league ?? Not a snowballs chance in hell this team wins champions league
Sorry Augie, you lose credibility when you try and big up George Graham for so many reasons. I could write an essay but have given several reasons on a previous post.

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

It's great to be heading into the business end of the season still challenging on two fronts but if we end up trophy less, does that mean Arteta should be celebrated? The last few posts on here are examples of some wanting to celebrate early because they know deep down that when both the CL and PL trophies are handed out, we won't win either. When you spend 700 million, I would like to think that challenging for titles is a minium.

nut flush gooner

the playing mantis wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:19 pm
Stuart L (2) wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:

Seriously? Do you believe this "concensus"? I never had you down as a sheep Nutty, but Jesus that is a sheep-like comment mate.

We are on a really good run. Last season we were also on a good run and Arteta completely shit the bed. What happens if the same thing occurs this season? Can we question him then?

For me he has proven nothing except that he can get us on a good run after spending 700million.

Winning trophies is what I call great. That's the standard a manager of the Arsenal must be judged by.

Players fucked up at vital times - Ramsdale passing it to a Southampton player on the edge of our box in the opening moments
Partey attempting to flick it over Rice away at West Ham with us cruising 2-0 up

We are in a run of 8 straight wins in the league - top of the table , in the last 8 of the champions league for the first time in absolute years and still people question is he doing a good job.

Add in the atmosphere at home games and away alike and we are still fighting against officials and VAR alike game after game.

We haven’t peaked yet, nowhere near, yet we are challenging hard a City side who are potentially on for an unprecedented 4th title in a row and current treble winners.

I will take what Arteta and the team is currently producing over the possibility of whatever replacement manager you can name would offer.
We have the most wins, most goals scored, least goals conceded- :rubchin: what more do we expect ?

A huge part of Rice signing for us was his belief in Arteta - Martinelli, Saka, Saliba all signed new contracts when previously our star players were constantly linked with going elsewhere.

Stuart has posted a well thought out and balanced synopsis. You the day after qualifying for the CL quarter final demonstrated why some of our fanbase live on another planet. Can't pick out the positives always go for the negative spin. Inbalanced.

the playing mantis

Nutty I'm not dissing tets. I always said I would judge him in May,and still will. It's very encouraging. I'm merely pointing out stuarts excusing him of last seasons collapse despite he being responsible for most of the things Stuart mentions directly or indirectly.

the playing mantis

BTW Nutty dont tilt at windmills when we could equally argue you are totally imbalanced, zero criticism only appear when it's going well etc...much like a certain other thread I won't start you on!

nut flush gooner

Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:43 pm
BTW Nutty dont tilt at windmills when we could equally argue you are totally imbalanced, zero criticism only appear when it's going well etc...much like a certain other thread I won't start you on!
I am totally balanced. Just don't post on here 24/7. There are other mediums to discuss football these days.

I am also very happy to admit I was wrong about Ramsdale, spent months wondering why MA bought Raya in. And the reason I tend to come in after a good win, is that it bothers me how the same characters always produce a negative spin on things. You just can't please some people.

the playing mantis

nut flush gooner wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:46 pm
I am totally balanced. Just don't post on here 24/7. There are other mediums to discuss football these days.

I am also very happy to admit I was wrong about Ramsdale, spent months wondering why MA bought Raya in. And the reason I tend to come in after a good win, is that it bothers me how the same characters always produce a negative spin on things. You just can't please some people.
That's a fair comment that some are negative no matter what, but I feel most are wary and fearing the worst can only leave pleasant surprise, but being positive and offering opinons of where further work could be done is fine imo. Blind blowing of smoke up ass pretending everything is perfect is pointless and not really the point of a forum. Of we all are on discussing platitudes and hiw great things were it would be pretty dead here soon. The debate and improvement is what drives the desire for folk to comment imo.

As I say I will judge in May as I said at end of last season.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

nut flush gooner wrote:

Oh well, better late than never I suppose. I got some grief on here 18 months ago, but because a keeper's failings are so costly and identifiable, it ends up being impossible to deny. Many could see the stunning reaction saves, but not the errant positioning, judgement and decision making and it's those things that really determine how good a keeper is. In the end, once the inevitable and obvious blunders creep in, the whole world sees the problem.

Unfortunately and just as with Xhaka, the failings of an outfield player aren't so obvious and can be masked by a low bar along the lines of "he makes good runs", or "he's good in the air", even if those claims are myths. That will be the on-going issue with Havertz. He's light years from being the quality required for the level we're trying to compete at, but unless he fucks up in front of goal to cost us a trophy (or trophies), then we'll hear the same old weak bollocks about how well he's playing.

As for Arteta, I've said exactly what Mantis has said....I'll judge him in May.

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:

Err the manager who currently has us top of the league and into the last 8 of the champions league - what more can he do to get a little bit of credit ? Some people were hell bent on him being a failure ( see the poll results ) and can’t be big enough to admit he is doing a very decent job

the playing mantis

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:35 pm
Stuart L (2) wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:

Err the manager who currently has us top of the league and into the last 8 of the champions league - what more can he do to get a little bit of credit ? Some people were hell bent on him being a failure ( see the poll results ) and can’t be big enough to admit he is doing a very decent job
The reference was to last season per the posters remarks. At least some folk have consistent views be it consistently negative like some! Must be a bit depressing, or judging things when season ends, rather than flipping between the extremes every 5 mins ;)

Some will take more and final evidence to fully drink the kool aid, giving credit where's its due for this great form we are in.

It's either all wonderful one minute, then giving it pelters the next for some of you. At least the opposites of augies and Nutty views as examples, nothing personal, are consistently consistent.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

It's the same old shit really from the blinkered. If you don't agree that everything is wonderful and the current manager is amazing then you are somehow "disloyal" or just "negative". If you try and make an actual balanced comment like "its a good run we are on, nothing more yet" then you are just bring "negative".

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:

He's the manager Stuart. He picks the players. He persisted all season with the fucking gimp Lobotomy Clive and a few of us predicted on here that good old Lobotomy would cost Arteta. And what happened at Anfield? He acted like a cùnt and turned an easy win into a lucky draw and then an absolute season ending collapse. Arteta could not stop that collapse. Who's job would it be to stop that collapse if not his?

augie

Post by augie »

nut flush gooner wrote:

No doubt I am one of those you are refrring to nutty, but for the record we have been piss poor in the last two games and you wont find a comment from me anywhere on the brentford game, and even last night when all around me were losing their shit I kept my counsel and didnt comment at all until this morning. I actually feel sorry for ramsdale cos the lack of game time has to affect his match sharpness (and I say that as a person who has consistently said that he isnt good enough) - I was delighted for raya last night, BUT I do find this *****-a-thon over him to be extremely cringy cos saving two penalties doesnt suddenly mean that he is good enough or that the cone boy was right to sign him

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:41 pm
It's the same old shit really from the blinkered. If you don't agree that everything is wonderful and the current manager is amazing then you are somehow "disloyal" or just "negative". If you try and make an actual balanced comment like "its a good run we are on, nothing more yet" then you are just bring "negative".
Or ‘woke’ apparently. :lol:

All must be rosey in the Wengteta garden. :barscarf:

And before I get called a Spurs fan again ( :lol: ), I’m very much enjoying the good run we are on but I find it concerning that we’re still quite wasteful with the ball, at times, AND the absolute lack of depth in the squad. If the starting 11 doesn’t get the job done then turning to Reiss Nelson, Nketiah and Zinchenko is beyond worrying.