Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

augie

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by augie »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:36 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:41 pm
It's the same old shit really from the blinkered. If you don't agree that everything is wonderful and the current manager is amazing then you are somehow "disloyal" or just "negative". If you try and make an actual balanced comment like "its a good run we are on, nothing more yet" then you are just bring "negative".
Or ‘woke’ apparently. :lol:

All must be rosey in the Wengteta garden. :barscarf:

And before I get called a Spurs fan again ( :lol: ), I’m very much enjoying the good run we are on but I find it concerning that we’re still quite wasteful with the ball, at times, AND the absolute lack of depth in the squad. If the starting 11 doesn’t get the job done then turning to Reiss Nelson, Nketiah and Zinchenko is beyond worrying.

Reality is that we have quality on the bench in smith-rowe, but the cone boy doesnt want or rate him - it is hard to fathom how in two games against porto (and one against brentford) when we are so badly struggling to create anything, yet diet pep refuses to bring on smith-rowe :roll: He is doing his best to force smith-rowe to demand a transfer cos he knows that he wont have the backing of the club, the players or the fans if he tries to push him out against his will.
I will also question how can we be thin on squad depth when we have spent £700m in four seasons ? I continually point out the duds that we signed and already moved on, and some fans point out defences like minimal cost or we made a profit on their sales, but it ignores the point that he is wasting time and money signing sub standard shite

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

Short-term memoryloss from the flipfloppers.

Hopefully the faith is well placed. End if season will tell, and distant 3rd in a 3 horse race won't count as success, given the state and standard of the league.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

DB10GOONER wrote:
It's the same old shit really from the blinkered. If you don't agree that everything is wonderful and the current manager is amazing then you are somehow "disloyal" or just "negative". If you try and make an actual balanced comment like "its a good run we are on, nothing more yet" then you are just bring "negative".

And before I get called a Spurs fan again ( :lol: ), I’m very much enjoying the good run we are on but I find it concerning that we’re still quite wasteful with the ball, at times, AND the absolute lack of depth in the squad. If the starting 11 doesn’t get the job done then turning to Reiss Nelson, Nketiah and Zinchenko is beyond worrying.
Absolutely. And regarding squad depth, does anyone on here really think this team survives an injury to Saliba? Gabriel is an average defender that gets lifted a level by having Saliba beside him. Gabriel without Saliba is a fucking disaster. We are literally one injury away from a season ending collapse. And that's after spending 700 fucking million!

So yes, let's enjoy this winning run, but let's not pretend we have won anything, and let's not turn on people because they realise we haven't won anything yet.

We mock mouser* fans and scum fans for the child like slavish delusional belief they have in their teams and yet we have a few of our own just as child like and who actually get upset if someone on a forum says something critical about the team or manager.

You can support a team and not wear rose-tinted blinkers you know. :lol:

I hope Arteta wins something this season purely because it means Arsenal win something. 8)

Viv Andersons Tache

Post by Viv Andersons Tache »

the playing mantis wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:41 pm
Nutty I'm not dissing tets. I always said I would judge him in May,and still will. It's very encouraging. I'm merely pointing out stuarts excusing him of last seasons collapse despite he being responsible for most of the things Stuart mentions directly or indirectly.
Honestly I’m shocked anyone would blame Arteta for last season collapse. (Not saying you are by the way more so others comments) Let’s be honest here. Came down to 3 areas mostly.

Stupid individual mistakes he can’t control ( Ramsdale & Partey bye Aaron!) 2 major injuries in the backline that lost us saliba and Tommy and general fatigue stemming from lack of squad depth. Nobody was even calling us to finish top 4 and we finished 2nd and was top for a long time. When we perform beyond expectation and he gets criticised anyway you know the people criticising won’t ever be happy.

Viv Andersons Tache

augie wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:06 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:

Reality is that we have quality on the bench in smith-rowe, but the cone boy doesnt want or rate him - it is hard to fathom how in two games against porto (and one against brentford) when we are so badly struggling to create anything, yet diet pep refuses to bring on smith-rowe :roll: He is doing his best to force smith-rowe to demand a transfer cos he knows that he wont have the backing of the club, the players or the fans if he tries to push him out against his will.
I will also question how can we be thin on squad depth when we have spent £700m in four seasons ? I continually point out the duds that we signed and already moved on, and some fans point out defences like minimal cost or we made a profit on their sales, but it ignores the point that he is wasting time and money signing sub standard shite
In no way shape or form should Smith Rowe been involved. It was a battle and he would have made the midfield too lightweight against those clobbers.

The way people carry on on here is like Smithers is the reincarnation of Messi, pele and Garrincha combined and that neglecting using him is an act of madness. It isn’t

Viv Andersons Tache

augie wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:52 am
nut flush gooner wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:35 am
So whats the verdict on Mikel now, he's winning every way for me. Good, bad, ugly.

And he's made mistakes on the way, but got a lot of things right along the way. Walking out of the North Bank last night, the consensus was that he got it right with Raya, and we shouldn't really question his decisions. Ramsdale wouldn't have made those saves, as much as I love Rambo, his time at Arsenal is done now. MA is ruthless.

We used to exist in the CL at the end of Wenger's reign, we are now joint 2nd favs behind City, with RM.

Bullshit - where is the ruthless streak with zinchenko ? Last night for an hour I thought havertz worked hard, but scoring a goals against shit teams doesnt mean the cone boy was correct buying him for 65m so where is the ruthless streak there ? I shouldnt need to say it, but a ruthless manager would have taken saka off last night cos he was shit and falling over at times when porto players breathed on him - pep looked at de bruyne hiding in a big game last Sunday and subbed him off regardless of what he done in the past, and that is what ruthless managers do. Diet pep is ruthless when it suits him, but with other players it is completely different story
Im sure if Arteta had Doku sat on the bench rather than Reiss Nelson saka would have been subbed. Pep has Kovacic sat on the bench he can utilise if de bruyne isn’t working out and against Liverpool city had a 100 million quid defender sat in their bench too. It just isn’t the same as you well know.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Viv Andersons Tache wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:27 am
augie wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
So whats the verdict on Mikel now, he's winning every way for me. Good, bad, ugly.

And he's made mistakes on the way, but got a lot of things right along the way. Walking out of the North Bank last night, the consensus was that he got it right with Raya, and we shouldn't really question his decisions. Ramsdale wouldn't have made those saves, as much as I love Rambo, his time at Arsenal is done now. MA is ruthless.

We used to exist in the CL at the end of Wenger's reign, we are now joint 2nd favs behind City, with RM.

Bullshit - where is the ruthless streak with zinchenko ? Last night for an hour I thought havertz worked hard, but scoring a goals against shit teams doesnt mean the cone boy was correct buying him for 65m so where is the ruthless streak there ? I shouldnt need to say it, but a ruthless manager would have taken saka off last night cos he was shit and falling over at times when porto players breathed on him - pep looked at de bruyne hiding in a big game last Sunday and subbed him off regardless of what he done in the past, and that is what ruthless managers do. Diet pep is ruthless when it suits him, but with other players it is completely different story
Im sure if Arteta had Doku sat on the bench rather than Reiss Nelson saka would have been subbed. Pep has Kovacic sat on the bench he can utilise if de bruyne isn’t working out and against Liverpool city had a 100 million quid defender sat in their bench too. It just isn’t the same as you well know.
And who gave Nelson a new contract instead of selling him on? Who assembled the shite we have on the bench?

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:01 am
Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:41 pm
Nutty I'm not dissing tets. I always said I would judge him in May,and still will. It's very encouraging. I'm merely pointing out stuarts excusing him of last seasons collapse despite he being responsible for most of the things Stuart mentions directly or indirectly.
Honestly I’m shocked anyone would blame Arteta for last season collapse. (Not saying you are by the way more so others comments) Let’s be honest here. Came down to 3 areas mostly.

Stupid individual mistakes he can’t control ( Ramsdale & Partey bye Aaron!) 2 major injuries in the backline that lost us saliba and Tommy and general fatigue stemming from lack of squad depth. Nobody was even calling us to finish top 4 and we finished 2nd and was top for a long time. When we perform beyond expectation and he gets criticised anyway you know the people criticising won’t ever be happy.
I'm honestly shocked when people say you can blame Arteta for not doing his job. You also failed to mention his love child fucking everything up at Liverpool when we were in complete control.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:16 am
augie wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

In no way shape or form should Smith Rowe been involved. It was a battle and he would have made the midfield too lightweight against those clobbers.

The way people carry on on here is like Smithers is the reincarnation of Messi, pele and Garrincha combined and that neglecting using him is an act of madness. It isn’t
Nope that's not true.

People are just pointing out that he's a better option than most of the players that get a run before him.

Viv Andersons Tache

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:49 am
augie wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:

And who gave Nelson a new contract instead of selling him on? Who assembled the shite we have on the bench?
You do realise no premier league top 6 manager would choose to have Nketiah, Nelson and Elneny in their squad if they didn’t have to right ? Mikel inherited these players didn’t assemble them.

Theres not a pot of money like 70 to 100 million sitting in our bank not being utilised that could be used to replace those players. The club have just made a pre tax loss. I’d say Mikel has slightly too much confidence in Eddie but those players were given contracts because we’ve had to re enforce our first 11 which we have done so superbly but have to stretch the budget and there’s only so much you can do. The budget isn’t infinite. Now our first 11 is in a decent condition I’m sure the focus will switch to building out the squad. Gone are the days when we need to fill out the squad with free transfers like Cedric and Willian to make up the numbers.

Viv Andersons Tache

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:57 am
Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:16 am
augie wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Nope that's not true.

People are just pointing out that he's a better option than most of the players that get a run before him.
His best position is wide left. It’s the only position he really has ever convinced in when he played for us and we have Gabby and Trossard there now. You dropping those 2 for him.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:

When you start whining like a Bitch about Ooooh! I'm Just Expressing My Opinions when called on your Negativity... And then try and get out of it when we win like one of those Radio4 Noncey Farts... then that's what looks and sound like "Woke" MF.

There's a difference between Constructive Criticism and Always Flopping About Like a Gay Limp Voiced Bitch Ooooh! We're Going to lose this :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: Just because we aren't playing well.

Arsenal Till I Die!? aka: Mr Negative Woke from Frumpington. :coffeespit:

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:03 am
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
augie wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:

You do realise no premier league top 6 manager would choose to have Nketiah, Nelson and Elneny in their squad if they didn’t have to right ? Mikel inherited these players didn’t assemble them.

Theres not a pot of money like 70 to 100 million sitting in our bank not being utilised that could be used to replace those players. The club have just made a pre tax loss. I’d say Mikel has slightly too much confidence in Eddie but those players were given contracts because we’ve had to re enforce our first 11 which we have done so superbly but have to stretch the budget and there’s only so much you can do. The budget isn’t infinite. Now our first 11 is in a decent condition I’m sure the focus will switch to building out the squad. Gone are the days when we need to fill out the squad with free transfers like Cedric and Willian to make up the numbers.
Haha my god you have an excuse for every possibility :lol:

They were interested clubs for each player. FFS Palace wanted to give proper money for Eddie.

Do you think any other "elite" manager would have given them new contracts?

No way.

As for ESR. Again no one said anything about him starting over martinelli or trossard. But they can be substituted for him.

And why is when the team win it's all down to Arteta being a genius but when we lose it's down to individual players fucking up?

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:03 pm
Short-term memoryloss from the flipfloppers.

Hopefully the faith is well placed. End if season will tell, and distant 3rd in a 3 horse race won't count as success, given the state and standard of the league.
Well your predictions on Brexit wernt very accurate were they, so somehow I don't think we will finish 3rd by a long distance either.

The only team we genuinely have to fear of the other two are City, because they are a relentless machine when they get going. Pool have only managed to turn them over one in six seasons. And with Arsenal and City now both having played at Pool away, do you think Arsenal or City performed better over 90 mins?

If it was a straight foot race between us and the scousers, who lets face it apart from a decent 2nd half vs City in recent weeks, have been very lucky to pick up some of the points they have, I would fancy our chances. Even with a difficult run in.

Viv Andersons Tache

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:36 am
Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:03 am
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
augie wrote:

Haha my god you have an excuse for every possibility :lol:

They were interested clubs for each player. FFS Palace wanted to give proper money for Eddie.

Do you think any other "elite" manager would have given them new contracts?

No way.

As for ESR. Again no one said anything about him starting over martinelli or trossard. But they can be substituted for him.

And why is when the team win it's all down to Arteta being a genius but when we lose it's down to individual players fucking up?
I’ll repeat. The club have just made a pre tax loss again. It will cost 70-100 million quid to replace those players mentioned adequately but chose to invest heavily in Declan Rice a great decision. It’s hobsons choice, you have to make do. This isn’t championship manager. I’m not sure if palace were willing to offer money for Eddie or not who knows that’s conjecture but I do know if Arteta sold him and we got a spate of injuries the manager would be getting called out by some in here.

I would suggest ESR is slightly under utilised but honestly as long as Leo and Gabby are remotely fit they are better options which makes it understandable why he gets such little time.

I’ll give you an example of Arteta screwing up which was playing Pepe as a false 9 away in Europe and losing. THAT was stupid. He’s not perfect but if you are doing dumb stuff like blaming him for injuries or an obvious uncharacteristic player cock ups then you are being daft, all the coach can do is set up the team properly and motivate the players. Which they are. He can’t counter for individual problems.