Gilberto leaving??????

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
northerngooner

Gilberto leaving??????

Post by northerngooner »

Sky Sports News are reporting that Juventus have contacted the Club re Gilberto but have been told that we are not interested in selling!

Strikes me that the whole captaincy thing could be to make it easier for him to leave.

EdgeOfTown

Post by EdgeOfTown »

funny you should have made this thread today mate as I was thinking today and where Gilberto stands..He's been stripped of the captaincy and we have about 6 central midfielders, and Song (joke Alex)...
Its a funny one. I dont think one Arsenal fan would want him to leave but Wengers no sucker for sentiment and once you get to the 30-odd mark he's normally sorting out a replacement...IMO a fit Gilberto will be in my 1st XI but I think we'll have to watch this space..but it concerns me we have youth and strength in depth in that area- Flamini, Diaby, Song, Denilson to potentially come into the team, and I wouldn't rate any of those over Bert at the moment..

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

wenger wont sell him just yet but if he does he must have something up his sleeve. diaby is the perfect replacment for him but this ankle injury that keeps popping up is a worry.

wolf

Post by wolf »

If anything.. Next season looks likely.. Don´t want to lose him but by the same token he wasn´t scary enough as a captain.

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:wenger wont sell him just yet but if he does he must have something up his sleeve. diaby is the perfect replacment for him but this ankle injury that keeps popping up is a worry.
He may be sold if Juve make Arsenal an offer we cant refuse i.e £6m plus As has been said earlier midfield is one position we are strong in(except for Song).
The story about Gilberto only finding out he lost the Captaincy on the Arsenal website may make Gilbeto"s mind up that his future is away from AG

REB

Post by REB »

cant see arsenal turning down a big offer if its true,, aw doesnt like his players 2 be over 30,, bert had a good year but he,s still prob not num 1 in the midfield ,, diaby seems 2 be gettin better and better and i for one hpe 2 see him get an extended run in the team :mrgreen:

delgooner

Post by delgooner »

donaldo wrote: He may be sold if Juve make Arsenal an offer we cant refuse i.e £6m plus As has been said earlier midfield is one position we are strong in(except for Song).
The story about Gilberto only finding out he lost the Captaincy on the Arsenal website may make Gilbeto"s mind up that his future is away from AG
I was thinking the same, perhaps the Boss was as well, maybe it was after seeing his legs in the advert for the new away shirt in the tube, christ my legs are fatter than his :shock: that got the Boss thinking "Hmm Juve are interested, if I get 6 mil for him then thats another few bob Ive accumulated which is mounting up quite nicely for my fantastic signing right at the end of the deadline but Im keeping it quite so those fucking shit newspapers dont fuck it up", but nothings concrete so will have to wait, wont we.

stearmaster

Post by stearmaster »

Juve advice for Gilberto Silva Friday 17 August, 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gilberto Silva has been encouraged to leave Arsenal for Juventus – by Brazil boss Carlos Dunga.

The defensive midfielder is on Claudio Ranieri’s wish-list and reportedly on the verge of a complete breakdown in his rapport with the Gunners.

“I think he is ready for an experience in Italian football and for Juventus,â€

Belfast Boy

Post by Belfast Boy »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:wenger wont sell him just yet but if he does he must have something up his sleeve. diaby is the perfect replacment for him but this ankle injury that keeps popping up is a worry.
Is the recurring injury on the same ankle that was broken and dislocated??? if it is I hope that it's not a sign that he's gonna have ongoing problems with it cos I was hopin for big things from him, and it would effectively mean that, that wee c**t Dan Smith has potentially ruined his career :evil: which is what AW was initially worried about when he saw the tackle and the damage it caused, and is why he threatened to sue!

GoonerJim

Post by GoonerJim »

We kept Bergkamp when he was in his 30s - why not Gilberto? Another thing is we are extremely low on veteran experinced players

Magic Hat

Post by Magic Hat »

goal.com trasnlates it as
Also Brazilian national coach Dunga considers the player fit for a transfer to Italy: "I think he is ready to play in the Italian league, Juventus would be a good option."
when asked about Gilberto, seems all he is saying is Gilberto would be a good player in Juve and could do well in Italy.