Could our season rest on the shoulders of Mikael Silvestre?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Would you rather see young Gibbs start in both games rather than Silvestre?

Yes
29%
No
71%

Total votes: 17

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee

Post by Yankee_Gooner_Dandee »

Martin Hayes wrote:Sorry, I don't quite follow this...

Given that Clichy is out, Gibbs will have to play at left-back, as Silvestre will be deputising for Gallas (and Djourou).

Or have I missed something?
My thoughts exactly. Dont they BOTH have to play at least for a couple games.

gusher311

Post by gusher311 »

I'm probably crazy, but could Sagna play as a fill in for CB? :oops: I don't think it would be a good idea, but I'm dying of boredom at work and it just popped into my head :twisted:

Kiki

Post by Kiki »

Given that Clichy is out, Gibbs will have to play at left-back, as Silvestre will be deputising for Gallas (and Djourou).

Yeah, thats what I was gonna say. To be fair to Silvestre, he has been there and done it and his experience could prove to be invaluble.

Sutch

Post by Sutch »

Song??

Bergkamp-Genius

Post by Bergkamp-Genius »

Wenger rates Song at centre half, so it's possible he will play alongside Toure.
If thats not going to happen tbh i would rather sylvestre was at centre half with either sagna or eboue playing at left back whichever one of them is stronger on their weaker foot.

Kiki

Post by Kiki »

Most Likely

Image Image Image Image

Alternatively

Image Image Image Image

Or

Image Image Image Image

xDAVEYx

Post by xDAVEYx »

i think possible line-ups should ONLY be posted like this from now on lol

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Kiki wrote:

Yeah, thats what I was gonna say. To be fair to Silvestre, he has been there and done it and his experience could prove to be invaluble.
Well, technically AW could play Song as CH and Silvestre as LB or he could play Silvestre at CH and Gibbs at LB again. I think Gibbs isn't ready yet for the big games at the top level but you never know how a young player might respond when thrown in at the deep end - he may thrive on it or he may be ruined by it. Not sure how Gibbs would respond but he looked out of his depth on Saturday.

augie

Post by augie »

Personally I thought that, considering our current injuries, gibbs at left back and silvestre at centre half was a nailed on cert more due to default than anything else :( However I have to say that I really like the idea of sagna at centre half v dogbreath on saturday with eboue at right full and silvestre at left back 8) I wouldnt be worried about dogbreaths physicality v sagna but tbh the thought of him against any of the rest of our defenders, including silvestre, fills me with dread :worried:

paperclip

Post by paperclip »

Can we not recall Phillipe? If we do get through tonight, and or Saturday, and if Djourou joins Gallas in being out for the season, would it not make sense to have big Phil back and available? Or would he be cup tied due to playing in the UEFA?

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

paperclip wrote:Can we not recall Phillipe? If we do get through tonight, and or Saturday, and if Djourou joins Gallas in being out for the season, would it not make sense to have big Phil back and available? Or would he be cup tied due to playing in the UEFA?

Drogba would chew Senderos up and spit him out into little pieces.Like he has every time he has played against him

Mikegooner87i

Post by Mikegooner87i »

I think he should Pull Song back into CH, and bring Diaby in the middle. I would also move Sagna onto the left and put Eboue in at right back.

Doing this would make more sense then playing the slow and not match fit Sylvester, and would save us from having to play a young and vulnerable Gibbs at left back!

paperclip

Post by paperclip »

donaldo wrote:
paperclip wrote:Can we not recall Phillipe? If we do get through tonight, and or Saturday, and if Djourou joins Gallas in being out for the season, would it not make sense to have big Phil back and available? Or would he be cup tied due to playing in the UEFA?

Drogba would chew Senderos up and spit him out into little pieces.Like he has every time he has played against him
I'm not looking for a debate on Senderos' ability as that's been done a million times. I'm looking at a real crunch time in the season, an injury crisis and an Arsenal player who could be available.

What if Toure got injured tonight? I don't like the defence as it is, imagine having to choose between Song and Sagna for who would partner Silvestre on Saturday.

Also, Drogba chews up most players he takes on. As has been said, Silvestre vs Drogba is not a match up I'd look forward to. But as I said, I'm not looking to debate how good/shit Phil is, I just think that at a time when people are talking about having a right back play at CB, than surely a CB who is available would be a better choice.

augie

Post by augie »

I think, and I stand to be corrected on this, that if you loan a player to a club outside your own country then you cannot recall that player where as if you loaned a player to a championship club then you can recall them. If my memory serves me correctly this was the case a few years back when we loaned silvinho to barca and then had an injury crisis (as usual :roll: ) at left back but could not recall him according to the media anyway

NBM

Post by NBM »

augie wrote: However I have to say that I really like the idea of sagna at centre half v dogbreath on saturday with eboue at right full and silvestre at left back 8)
Agreed with that Augie, it's the only logical way of keeping Drogba quiet I could think of for the semi as well.