I'd Prefer a Draw to a Win...

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
g88ner

Post by g88ner »

I agree with Rebel, actually.

A win is ALWAYS better than a draw in knockout competition, although I do understand Tony's thoughts.

Tony's viewpoint seems to be coming from a negative, or cautious, viewpoint...

BUT from an optimistic and positive viewpoint.... Win 2-1 at Old Trafford, and score the first goal at the Grove ,then ManUre would need 3 goals to stay in the competition!

A 1-0 win at OT and if we score the opener in the return leg, ManUre would need to score 2 to stay in the competition!

A win would put us firmly in charge of the second leg, but that's only the case if we don't freeze in the 2nd leg and play too negatively.... which is what Tony is saying, really.

Anyway.... 1-0 or 2-1 for me! 8)

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

I'll take anything so long as we're still in it for the second leg.

Percy Dalton

Post by Percy Dalton »

SPUDMASHER wrote:I'll take anything so long as we're still in it for the second leg.
I thought it was Queenie that would take anything?

:? :lol:

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

SPUDMASHER wrote:I'll take anything so long as we're still in it for the second leg.
True!

It's one of those games that I really cannot predict.

We could stun them, and win 2-1, or get overrun and lose 3-0 :oops:

So, yeah.... perhaps talk of whether we'd prefer a win or a draw is a little ambitious! :oops: :lol:

New thread needed....

WOULD IT BE BETTER TO LOSE 3-0 OR 4-1??? :lol:

Magic Hat

Post by Magic Hat »

A lead is nice to have but I would worry, as tony is, over the team "doing an England" in the second leg, dropping further and further back until Ade is standing on our goal line. With a makeshift back four, we are hardly in a position to do a rearguard action so both games, we have to look to get forward when we can. Man U's defence is shaky, with Walcott, Nasri, Cesc, Ade, we can get goals. Also if the ball is in their half, it means Silvestere isn't having to defend

Percy Dalton

Post by Percy Dalton »

I persoanlly think we will get stuffed up there and it will be all over bar the shouting.

I will then proceed to smash my TV up and swear blind I will never watch Arsenal again.

:roll:

T.S

Post by T.S »

REBEL GOONER wrote:sorry but no, why would anyone think a draw would be better then a win just because you feel they would come at us more in the second leg if we are up :roll:
dont get me wrong here but give me a lead of any margin and i will take that now,just think a 0-0 and utd score first at the grove :roll: 1-1 and utd score first means we then have to attack and leave ourselves too open at the back.
OK, so maybe the 0-0 idea wasn't the best idea, but I stand by the draw logic. If you can't understand why I think a draw in the first leg would be better than a narrow win, re-read my post. I'm looking at playing to our strengths to win the tie, not just the first match.

slevinlacey

Post by slevinlacey »

0-1 is much better than a score draw. With United having to go to Boro on Saturday, they will not want to have to chase the game against us. Wenger will probably rest the whole team on Saturday if we win at OT. If a fully rested Arsenal team can't get a draw against a United team that seems to be struggling a little more each game then we don't deserve to be in the final.

0-1 first leg and 3-1 in the 2nd. Arsenal go through 4-1

Percy Dalton

Post by Percy Dalton »

slevinlacey wrote:0-1 is much better than a score draw. With United having to go to Boro on Saturday, they will not want to have to chase the game against us. Wenger will probably rest the whole team on Saturday if we win at OT. If a fully rested Arsenal team can't get a draw against a United team that seems to be struggling a little more each game then we don't deserve to be in the final.

0-1 first leg and 3-1 in the 2nd. Arsenal go through 4-1
I admire your optimism but...................

:?

slevinlacey

Post by slevinlacey »

Once I knew we would get United, I was thinking lets not get stuffed up there, was thinking of that 6-1 when I think we had stepanovs and vivas at the back. If we do keep this close, we should win the 2nd leg, crowd and a fatiguing manure will be the reasons.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Same as someone above i just hope we are still in it come the 2nd leg

REB

Post by REB »

tonysaunders wrote:
REBEL GOONER wrote:sorry but no, why would anyone think a draw would be better then a win just because you feel they would come at us more in the second leg if we are up :roll:
dont get me wrong here but give me a lead of any margin and i will take that now,just think a 0-0 and utd score first at the grove :roll: 1-1 and utd score first means we then have to attack and leave ourselves too open at the back.
OK, so maybe the 0-0 idea wasn't the best idea, but I stand by the draw logic. If you can't understand why I think a draw in the first leg would be better than a narrow win, re-read my post. I'm looking at playing to our strengths to win the tie, not just the first match.
i read the post correctly and can see your points, i just don't agree :shock:

Percy Dalton

Post by Percy Dalton »

REBEL GOONER wrote:
tonysaunders wrote:
i read the post correctly and can see your points, i just don't agree :shock:
Argumentative langer!

:lol:

slevinlacey

Post by slevinlacey »

agree with rebel

REB

Post by REB »

thank you slevinlacey

and how was the london marathon sun percy :lol: