Question For Gooners

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Connolly55

Question For Gooners

Post by Connolly55 »

Ok, well here goes. I was at work today talking about football with my boss as per usual, he also is an Arsenal fan. He said that maybe it would take a change in manager to get Arsenal back on the right lines, which i agree with personally. I then mentioned that i wouldn't mind seeing Mourinho, as he's playing tactics aren't pretty but effective, i would rather win 1-0 playing ugly than lose 2-0 playing great football was basically what i was saying. Now he said that i was stupid and i would hate it. He went on to say George Graham, who i dont remember all that well ( Im 19 ) used to play in a similar fashion, and everyone hated it.

So heres my question, in my opinion its a no brainer but i just want to make sure.

Win the league playing boring football, winning 1-0, edging games.

or

Come 3rd of 4th, play attractive football, settle for Europe every year?

bigreddave

Post by bigreddave »

I remember some of the dross I had to sit through towards the end of george's rein, but me personally I'd love to win games playing the wenger way but unfortunately that just doesn't seem possible and it's either one or the other so maybe i'd say sign up a few less flair players and bring in one or two more robust players in order to kill games at 1-0 and maybe a change in tactics and see where that gets us because personally I can't see arsenal winning the league or champions league with the current staff/tactics we employ every week for a good few years anyway.

skipper

Post by skipper »

Win league by any means necessery.

I have also come up with a credible name for Wenger's replacement:

Felix Magath.

For those of you unfamiliar with the name, I suggest you do a little research...

:barscarf:

Kiki

Post by Kiki »

Well if 1989 was boring - I want more :barscarf:

franksav63
Location: Home - Whitechapel - Arsenal Block 6 - Twitter - @franksav63

Re: Question For Gooners

Post by franksav63 »

Connolly55 wrote:Ok, well here goes. I was at work today talking about football with my boss as per usual, he also is an Arsenal fan. He said that maybe it would take a change in manager to get Arsenal back on the right lines, which i agree with personally. I then mentioned that i wouldn't mind seeing Mourinho, as he's playing tactics aren't pretty but effective, i would rather win 1-0 playing ugly than lose 2-0 playing great football was basically what i was saying. Now he said that i was stupid and i would hate it. He went on to say George Graham, who i dont remember all that well ( Im 19 ) used to play in a similar fashion, and everyone hated it.

So heres my question, in my opinion its a no brainer but i just want to make sure.

or

It's really annoying that people under 20, have no recollection of the George Graham era, and some even try to dismiss it with some disdain. Someone has already mentioned the 88-89 season, and the Liverpool game where we won the league for the 1st time in 17 seasons, but the 90-91 season, where we went through the whole season, winning the league, and losing just 1 (yes 1) game in the process, with a team that could either mix it and win ugly, and win games with flair (Limpar, Rocastle and Merson) to name just 3 class players, is also vastly unappreciated.

But anyway, back to your original question, whilst I love some of the football that we play, we now appear to have been sussed out by the top teams, and it's getting predicable, loads of possession, no cutting edge and not many shots on the goal, I would like to get back to the days, where we could mix it playing both ways, but that means getting the correct players in, and ditching the light-weight, injury prone players that we're collecting at the moment.

Edited... :oops:
Last edited by franksav63 on Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

The GG era teams played with more heart than the current lot could ever have, i would happily sacrifice some of our flair to start winning leagues and being hated again. The GG era came to an end with the likes of Hillier and Selley playing (they were the 90's version of Denilson and Diaby maybe even better than Denilson) but i dont think that should cloud the memory of the Arsenal team of the late 80's early 90's they were a good team who could battle it out with anyone and almost always beat superior teams when it mattered and still played very good football. I would like Mourinho to be in charge but it will never happen as he is a bit of a loose cannon and the old etonions on the board would not like his style.

Id love to see the team playing with the heart George Graham instilled into the players of his era

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

franksav63 wrote:
It's really annoying that people under 20, have no recollection of the George Graham era, and some even try to dismiss it with some disdain. Someone has already mentioned the 88-89 season, and the Liverpool game where we won the league for the 1st time in 17 seasons, but the 91-92 season, where we went through the whole season, winning the league, and losing just 1 (yes 1) game in the process, with a team that could either mix it and win ugly, and win games with flair (Limpar, Rocastle and Merson) to name just 3 class players, is also vastly unappreciated.
erm... Frank? That was 1990-1991... :wink:

franksav63
Location: Home - Whitechapel - Arsenal Block 6 - Twitter - @franksav63

Post by franksav63 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
franksav63 wrote:
It's really annoying that people under 20, have no recollection of the George Graham era, and some even try to dismiss it with some disdain. Someone has already mentioned the 88-89 season, and the Liverpool game where we won the league for the 1st time in 17 seasons, but the 91-92 season, where we went through the whole season, winning the league, and losing just 1 (yes 1) game in the process, with a team that could either mix it and win ugly, and win games with flair (Limpar, Rocastle and Merson) to name just 3 class players, is also vastly unappreciated.
You know what, I've just woke up and remembered I posted the wrong date on this thread..... :oops: :oops: Luckily I have some great proof-readers on here.. - cheers lads... :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

franksav63 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
franksav63 wrote:
You know what, I've just woke up and remembered I posted the wrong date on this thread..... :oops: :oops: Luckily I have some great proof-readers on here.. - cheers lads... :lol:
Any time... :wink:

LDB
Location: Having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over

Post by LDB »

franksav63 wrote:
Connolly55 wrote:Ok, well here goes. I was at work today talking about football with my boss as per usual, he also is an Arsenal fan. He said that maybe it would take a change in manager to get Arsenal back on the right lines, which i agree with personally. I then mentioned that i wouldn't mind seeing Mourinho, as he's playing tactics aren't pretty but effective, i would rather win 1-0 playing ugly than lose 2-0 playing great football was basically what i was saying. Now he said that i was stupid and i would hate it. He went on to say George Graham, who i dont remember all that well ( Im 19 ) used to play in a similar fashion, and everyone hated it.

or

It's really annoying that people under 20, have no recollection of the George Graham era, and some even try to dismiss it with some disdain. Someone has already mentioned the 88-89 season, and the Liverpool game where we won the league for the 1st time in 17 seasons, but the 90-91 season, where we went through the whole season, winning the league, and losing just 1 (yes 1) game in the process, with a team that could either mix it and win ugly, and win games with flair (Limpar, Rocastle and Merson) to name just 3 class players, is also vastly unappreciated.

But anyway, back to your original question, whilst I love some of the football that we play, we now appear to have been sussed out by the top teams, and it's getting predicable, loads of possession, no cutting edge and not many shots on the goal, I would like to get back to the days, where we could mix it playing both ways, but that means getting the correct players in, and ditching the light-weight, injury prone players that we're collecting at the moment.

Edited... :oops:
Probably because they were at the most 5 years old when his reign ended?

hatemanu99

Post by hatemanu99 »

There's no reason we can't win playing our style, it's just the personnel we have right now. Stick Anelka/Henry, Lehmann/Seaman, and Pires/Lgungberg in this team and we wouldn't give games away like we're doing now.

rigsby

Post by rigsby »

The Graham era was the best I've ever had supporting Arsenal, but, after the '91 season, we were fucking dire to watch. There are similarities certainly, with one difference. At least George would win us a cup

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

I agree it went downhill but even 91-92 was a good season we scored 92 goals that year but still were labelled boring

norfbankN16

Post by norfbankN16 »

It's really annoying that people under 20, have no recollection of the George Graham era

WTF, give the lad a break he would have been at best a toddler :?

digger

Post by digger »

skipper wrote:Win league by any means necessery.

I have also come up with a credible name for Wenger's replacement:

Felix Magath.

For those of you unfamiliar with the name, I suggest you do a little research...

:barscarf:
Don't know a lot about him, other than he was Bayern manager a few years back. Good? Works on a shoestring?