WHATS THE BEST EVER PERFORMANCE FROM AN ARSENAL TEAM

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
goonersid

WHATS THE BEST EVER PERFORMANCE FROM AN ARSENAL TEAM

Post by goonersid »

This must be against top notch opponents and not a drubbing of the boros of this world.
Anfield 89' for belief, character, determination, spirit and desire. :wink: ok mr wenger
Inter away at the san siro, not only to beat them but also to turn around the aggregate score, should it have been required.

skipper

Post by skipper »

1:5 against Inter at san Siro.

That was pure class. My personal favourite.

:barscarf:

hatemanu99

Post by hatemanu99 »

Bernabeu 06. So many injuries we were massive underdogs. And probably deserved to win by more than 1-0.

merv_charles

Post by merv_charles »

0-1 at the Bernabéu has to be up there with the best performances.

Percy Dalton

Post by Percy Dalton »

Against Parma in Copenhagan for me if we are talking about pulling it off against the odds.

Yes, Anfield was incredible as the place was a fortress but that glorious night in Copenhagan we was playing against a fucking great side with half our side missing including Wrighty. Seaman had about 15 smashed ribs and we was even disappointed Jensen was missing!

Fuck me, McGoldrick played!

That was one fucking amazing night and for me the best one off performance I have seen.

:-P

Kiki

Post by Kiki »

Theres lots......

Here is 3 that I think are certainly up there....I'd say Anfield '89 is probably the best.

From what I've seen from what I gather (I wasnt born at the time) but the 71 victory to win the League at SHL and to come back and beat Anderlect to win the European Fairs Cup was another great performance.

And what about the injury ravaged team and without Wrighty beat Parma 1-0 to The ARSENAL :barscarf:

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

Have to agree about Copenhagen 94. A midfield that included Morrow :roll: and Selley :roll:.Parma were a superior team to us but the greatest back 5 ever kept them out.

Kiki

Post by Kiki »

donaldo wrote:Have to agree about Copenhagen 94. A midfield that included Morrow :roll: and Selley :roll:.Parma were a superior team to us but the greatest back 5 ever kept them out.
I heard someone say before that was the pinnacle of the Back 4 and Safe Hands had to have an injection on his ribs before the game to and what a fantastic performance from him.

And I have to say commentator Brian Moore's commentary on the game was fantastic.

I always thought Steve Morrow was a good player - I liked him....did a very good job with Northern Ireland as well.

I'll never forget his goal in The Coca-Cola Cup Final GET IN THERE!

Kiki

Post by Kiki »

Lets us not forget Paris '06 either.

OK, we were beaten but went down fighting and with 10 men (sorry make 9 - Almunia was doing his best impression of the invisible man) AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHH!......Magnificent header from Sol and Freddie played his heart out that night.

Altough gutted I was proud to be a Gooner that night, I'd have loved nothing better than to see Bergkamp retire with a Champions League
:cry:

Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Can't remember much about the game it's self but what about Sampdoria in the Cup! Seaman saves & Schwarz goal

oaodan

Post by oaodan »

The one that always sticks in my mind is 1 nil win in Juventus in 1980? Paul Vassens last minute goal.Nobody was supposed to go to Juve and win,at that time.I was not there but was upstairs with dodgy BBC reception.Vassen scored in last minute ,I think.

GallasFC

Post by GallasFC »

ditto he 5-1 against juve

sycicsid

Post by sycicsid »

so many but that pen shoot out against roma also is etched in my mind.

This Is The Daybreak

Post by This Is The Daybreak »

In my time of supporting Arsenal the 94 Cup Winners Cup Final and Madrid 06 are in my mind. Expected to be done over, dogged with injuries/suspensions we gave a backs to the wall job against both of them.

Lehmann, Eboue, Flamini, Senderos, Toure, Henry, Seaman, Dixon, Winterburn, Bould, Adams and Smith we salute you....both games similar in the sense that is was a real defensive job and a moment of magic from a lone striker won it.

digger

Post by digger »

1994 was the first thing which popped into my mind when I saw the title of this thread.

Honourable mentions deserved for the Bernabeau and San Siro performances.