Nicklas Bendtner

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Jumpers For Goalposts

Nicklas Bendtner

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

This isn't a "lets slag him off" thread nor is it just about the Burnley match. Nicklas is now our 1st choice front man as RvP is out until May and Le Boss doesn't seem to have complete confidence in Eduardo at the moment.

So - is he prolific enough to lead the line when we are challenging for the 2 big trophies? Is his all round game strong enough to justify Arsene's decision not to enter the transfer market with all those millions at his disposal. And does Bendtner's game gel with the creative players around him?

My thoughts for what they're worth? He has had more than enough time to show what he can do and whilst there is talent there (great goal at Stoke), he is neither consistent enough, ruthless enough, destructive enough or prolific enough for a team that wants to finish ahead of Man U and Chelsea.

As I said this is not a "lets slag him off" thread - I don't care who wears the shirt so long as they are good enough and 100% committed to the team cause.

Is he good enough? Is he totally focused on the team rather than himself?

Bring Back Pires

Post by Bring Back Pires »

If he played as a lone frontman in a team that played route one football, he wouldn't be good enough.

Fortunately for him, he plays in a team where goals come from all angles and the style of football enables anyone in the side to find the net.

Thus, he's not relied upon to do the job, and at this time, it's a good thing.

For what it's worth, I thought he had a decent game yesterday. I'd rather him making chances and finding himself in positions to score rather than simply not be involved in the game (see: Eduardo).

Jumpers For Goalposts

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

Good point.

It was very noticeable from where I was (Block 99) that Bendtner was getting slated for his misses but when Eduardo and Arshavin came on and did the same, the reaction was very different.

Eduardo seems to have lost all confidence and not just in front of goal.

marcengels

Post by marcengels »

Jumpers For Goalposts wrote:Good point.

It was very noticeable from where I was (Block 99) that Bendtner was getting slated for his misses but when Eduardo and Arshavin came on and did the same, the reaction was very different.

Eduardo seems to have lost all confidence and not just in front of goal.
I guess Eduardo still gets a bit of leeway, and Arshavin was just coming back from injury.

Bendtner has previous :D :wink:

mrgnu1958

Post by mrgnu1958 »

Nik WAS in those positions to score.
At least give the lad that.
These things happen to every player.
Im convinced that next time he WILL make those chances count.

mikeyb772001
Location: Block 6! Drunk and standing next to a mad man with no clothes on!

Post by mikeyb772001 »

quite simple he isnt good enough to be our second choice striker behind rvp! Broken record i know but if only we bought a striker our goal dif would be higher as he has missed so many sitters! I wish he was as good as he thinks he is. On a good note he does try even when he misses lots of sitters and it doesnt seem to bother him or get him down. Lets hope the lack of a qulaity striker doesnt cost us the premership. It could all come down to a few goals...

GunnerDude

Post by GunnerDude »

A big different between someone missing 4-5 chances and two players coming back from injury missing 1 chance each(chances that are debatable as they were not clear cut like Nicks).

As for Nick being in good positions and making them count next time, we have said that many times before. In the end we can only accept him for what he is now and hope he improves.

I think one of the other players should have gone to Nick and given him a wake up tap on the cheek like Vieira or Tony would have done.
Last edited by GunnerDude on Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

marcengels

Post by marcengels »

From arsenal.com

Weird And Wonderful: Nicklas Bendtner
Danish striker is next in the hotseat in our new series on Arsenal TV Online
[March 3, 2010]

Was exactly what I was saying yesterday! :D

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Nic is not a PL quality 1st striker at the moment and being honest I don't think he ever will be. But he does have uses. He can come on as an impact sub and we can then route one it into the box.

Also, he is reasonably good at linking play up just outside the oppo box when he holds the ball. But his passing can let him down in that role.

His misses yesterday were shocking TBH. It makes me think how many more goals we would have scored this season if RVP had stayed fit... but then, I wonder that every bloody season... :banghead:

Wenger MUST sign a fit quality striker this summer. And a CH. And a defensive midfielder. And probably a replacement for Cesc... :(

SWLGooner
Location: Islington Town Hall, applauding the fourth place trophy.

Post by SWLGooner »

Who does the CH replace DB10?

Glitch33

Post by Glitch33 »

Can someone explain how talent is seen in strikers and how they develop over time?

I would have thought strikers typically have a natural ability to finish and thats easy to practice and hone.

Surely the bit that takes time is making the the right runs and getting into position to put the ball in the net. Getting the football brain working.

Nik seems to have the positional sense but can't hit a barn door.
A bit like Heskey maybe and can only play in a support role rather than a out and out goalscorer.

I wonder what Torres, RvP or Villa type players would have made of the those chances.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SWLGooner wrote:Who does the CH replace DB10?
Good question. My take on it is Gallas doesn't have that many full seasons left in him. Neither does Sol. The rest of our CH's are either shite or unproven with the exception of Tommy V. I would love us to have TV and A.N.Other top CH as first choices and have Gallas and Sol on the bench to cover the now requisite injuries we seem to suffer from.

Don't get me wrong I rate both Sol and Gallas but honestly how many full seasons can we expect out of them at this stage. Anyone would be a better back up than tweety...

SWLGooner
Location: Islington Town Hall, applauding the fourth place trophy.

Post by SWLGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
SWLGooner wrote:Who does the CH replace DB10?
Good question. My take on it is Gallas doesn't have that many full seasons left in him. Neither does Sol. The rest of our CH's are either shite or unproven with the exception of Tommy V. I would love us to have TV and A.N.Other top CH as first choices and have Gallas and Sol on the bench to cover the now requisite injuries we seem to suffer from.
Yeah I do see Sol and Gallas platooning for one more season but after that then a new man is probably needed...

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Glitch33 wrote:Can someone explain how talent is seen in strikers and how they develop over time?

I would have thought strikers typically have a natural ability to finish and thats easy to practice and hone.

Surely the bit that takes time is making the the right runs and getting into position to put the ball in the net. Getting the football brain working.

Nik seems to have the positional sense but can't hit a barn door.
A bit like Heskey maybe and can only play in a support role rather than a out and out goalscorer.

I wonder what Torres, RvP or Villa type players would have made of the those chances.
I agree; the top strikers have the "eye for goal" it is instinctive. You then coach them on movement off the ball, positional sense and to a lesser degree basic technique. Some players just don't have that eye for goal.

Nic gets into great positions and while practice practice and more practice WILL improve his finishing to a certain degree it just won't put in place what isn't there - an eye for goal.

A shame really as I like Nic's attitude and self belief. But unfortunately he will not be banging goals in at the top level 2 years from now...

redarmee_redarmee

Post by redarmee_redarmee »

Bendtner does a lot of work on the park, and threatens in the air, but if he can't sort out his lack of finishing, then perhaps he needs to be moved on.

I'm a B52 fan, but his actions need to start matching his talk. I hope he gets a start in all remaining games, and that should be enough to see if he is good enough to be an Arsenal player.