Liverpool v Arsenal

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
brady

Liverpool v Arsenal

Post by brady »

I wish I could be optimistic in defeat, even one as comprehensive as this. Truth is, Liverpool did not even have to really step up their game to beat us. A cutting edge in attack saw to that. We were poor, though we did come close on a few occasions, hitting the posts twice through Adebayor. What led us down was our defensive work. Again.

We all knew Liverpool were out for some payback. But we were caught cold inside 4 minutes. Diaby (though he had a good game) and Clichy (likewise) were slow to read the danger and allowed space for a cross that was whipped in (we hardly do that anymore except for Eboue and to a lesser extent Clichy), and though Crouch had a great finish, I think Toure could have done better. In truth, though his pace is often used to great effect to bail himself out of a jam, Toure is not a good defender in terms of the fundamentals. He gambles too much, and is often outthought, outfought and too easily turned and muscled off the ball. THe 4th goal was proof of this. But the first goal was a killer. To concede that early when it was imperative that we settle and dicatate the pace of the game was a blow we never really recovered from.

The rest of the half showed our usual pretty passing patterns, mostly to no great effect. The best chances were from a corner, Ade's header sailing just over the bar with Reina well beaten, and a quick counter forced by some tenacious tackling that broke up a Liverpool attach inside their own half. Ade squared to Baptista who was wide open (though he did not quite have the whole goal to aim at) inside the age of the box but he miscued woefully with the goal (well half of it at least) at his mercy. Ended nearer the corner than the goal. It was the prove costly.

Eboue failed to recognise the danger from crosses and he did not intervene, choosing to sit back and allowing a cross to come in and though it was not an easy header, Crouch was always favourite and planted it firmly in the top corner. No chance for Jens as no one picked up Crouch's run and put a body on him. That was the only way - no way would any of the team outjump him. But again tactically we were probably found wanting. Crouch was always going to be the main threat and cutting out crosses was crucial.

Second half, Ade hit the post and that was the turning point because a couple of minutes later, we conceded a free kick and Agger stole in unmarked ahead of Baptista and glanced it home. Why can't we take free kicks like that and finish like that? 3 down was too much of a mountain to climb and though Ade forced Reina to tip onto the post, and Gallas bundled home a consolation from a free kick, it was too late as we soon conceded a fourth, Crouch turning Toure smartly inside the box and smashing home his impressive hattrick.

Credit to Liverpool. They wanted it more. The Arsenal team coming out of the dressing room looked a beaten lot. Some even took their time to come out to the field. Not a sign that you really wanted to take the game to the other team. The spark seems to have gone out of the team and it is going to be a hard slog to the end of the season to secure that fourth spot. I hope I am wrong.

gunner67

Post by gunner67 »

It's a long way back for the supporters that went - you have to hand it to our away support, for the little I watched of the match our supporters were fantastic. You certainly can't place the blame on them!!

corn

Post by corn »

i have to agree with brady liverpool really looked hungry for this one. arsenal just didn't turn up.
i have never seen clichy so off the pace. toure tries too hard to make things happen and finds himself out of position a lot. eboue looked ring rusty. baps just not good enough.
our best chances in first half fell to the wrong person, the beast and he just wasn't up to taking them.
on a more optimistic note, lets hope arsene learns from these last few games.
then he can unload ali,the beast and senderos because they are just not good enough.
roll on next season.

stearmaster

Post by stearmaster »

say wat u want im biastd, cant take defeat, up2 u , ut i think we were the better tem overall, wat let us down was our midfield and attack, i saw on a few occasions some good challenges go in, from my (biasted maybe) point of view gonzales should not of been subtituted, should of been sent off way before then, 2 no ball challenging tackles from behind, crouch deffo man of the match, never seen him play so good forever/along time, and we did not deserve to lose 4-1, we deserved alot more in that game, if the two shots that came off the post were goals then that would of been 2-2/2-2 including our goal we scored, aggers goal, i dont think was a freekick, and peanut, well im glad he left us!!!!

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

Did Liverpool get revenge? A bit, but it was still only 4-4 on aggregate....and we win on the away goals rule! And we beat them in both domestic cups. And don't forget that we've had a poor season, in transition - with much to look forward to next year. Liverpool (who are already at their peak) haven't exactly set the world alight then, if they've only just gone above us! The important thing now is just to keep picking up points at home and just safely negotiate CL qual, even if its via 4th place.

proudtosaythatname

Post by proudtosaythatname »

Interesting the varying attitudes to this defeat. I thought we were fortunate to lose only 4-1. The chant of "we're gonna win 4-3" when 3-0 down is gallows humour which we are used to hearing from relegation fodder and it shows how the loyal Gooners who went up to Anfield really felt. At least they didn't give Arsene the vile treatment meted out to McLaren last week but Wenger may have a lot to do to raise morale to keep that 4th spot. My theory, for what it's worth - AFC are now experiencing the full grief of losing Highbury. I feel our heart has been ripped out - but I hope I'm wrong. What do others think of that theory?

Rilo II

Post by Rilo II »

So much respect for the fans who made the journey and stayed loud right until the end. The fans were the only thing we could take pride in on saturday. Nice one lads.

And by the way, the "we're gonna win 6-3" chant was in response to the scousers "you're gonna win fuck all" and did a great job of shutting them up again. And it made me chuckle.

anakin

Post by anakin »

Ok I only watched the game on TV but we were totally out played we really missed Gilberto, if he leaves then we are in trouble next season

Gooner_mojo

Post by Gooner_mojo »

I was at the game, it wasn't nice seeing that performance after travelling all that way, but we sang loud and proud right throughout, even at 4-1 down. Liverpool's support was fucking shit, i have a mate who's a season ticket holder up there and he was embarrassed to say the least. At least we sing at the grove when we are winning, but the scousers were a disgrace on saturday.

Quality support from us though, well done to everyone who stayed and sung and clapped the players off at the end, even though some didn't deserve it.

Keep the faith lads, the players seem to lack motivation at the moment and really need our support, so let's give it to 'em as much as we can. We'll be back next season.

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

proudtosaythatname wrote:My theory, for what it's worth - AFC are now experiencing the full grief of losing Highbury. I feel our heart has been ripped out - but I hope I'm wrong. What do others think of that theory?
Interesting theory. Absolute bollocks of course, but interesting. We've got one of the best home records in the Premiership, and are still unbeaten there in all competitions. I wish people would stop being so dramatic. No-one has died. We're just experiencing what many clubs do every year i.e. end of season anti-climax. My theory is that we owe a lot to the fact that many of our players were involved in the World Cup. Business as usual next year when, hopefully, we're a bit more experienced and injury free....

Goonanana

Post by Goonanana »

I'm just amazed that Wenger admitted we were shit rather than "a little jaded physically" Hopefully he will have given them the bollocking they deserved after that performance! I don't give a crap if they feel sorry for themselves, they are getting paid over £30k a week each because we make the effort to spend £50 on a ticket and another £50 on travel to go and support them beacuse we will never give up for the season! Not to mention around 8 hours of our time and effort

I sincerely hope we don't roll over and die at home to the hammers!

COME ON YOU FUCKING GOONERS!

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

I've done some digging. Our home record, unsurprisingly, is the 4th best in the Prem. Our downfall this season isn't losing at Liverpool. Its losing away to 4 of the bottom 8 teams thats cost us. If we've got a problem at the Grove its that all the home draw's have been against teams in mid-table. Sometimes its as if the players are just not up for a scrap....or that we allow ourselves to be dragged down to their level. Look at what Liverpool did to PSV last night. We were in total control against PSV at half time in the away match (even more than Liverpool were last night) - and yet managed to lose 0-1.