Nigerian Billionaire interested in Arsenal Takeover?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
USMartin

Post by USMartin »

VforVictory wrote: On your posts on here, there has been a "Fixed line" approach from you. You have berated me for introducing new ideas into the discussion, yet now claim to champion such an approach from yourself. You cannot have it both ways
An excellent point EXCEPT that is NOT what I'm doing.

It is perfectly reasonable for one's views to evolve and grow over time based on new facts - such as gaining a closer undertsanding of the club's debt over a period of time and realizing that there not one but two significant loans the club took and had the only taken the first one that the negative impact would have certainly been far less significant, instaed of assuming that all of the negative impact was in fact down to the new stadium.

That is drastically different from simply offering scattershot theories with little or no supporting evidence to contradict theories based on factual evidence which is what you are doing. You are absolutely within your right to offer a contraidctory theory or theories but they should have some genuine basis real conviction butressed by provable fact, and not scattershot speculation solely meant to cloud or confuse the issue.

Your trust in the Board's judgment may yet be proven right when all is said and done (and I don't mean in 50 years :D ) but it won't be this way I assure you. But whatever happens I don't want or need I both ways - I want it one way and that is I want the truth for the sake of the football club.
VforVictory wrote: agree that the board's insistence that the stadium development would not affect the team is not true. One might split hairs and say that the board only mention the stadium development, rather than Highbury, but the inference is in my opinion that the move from Highbury would not affect the team. It clearly has. But so have the era of the "Oligarchs", and factors concerning individual players.
Its funny how much we are in agreement at times yet how far apart we remain. I suspect that is down to your hesitancy to criticize or condemn these actions by the Board as what they are – a failure to protect the best interests of Arsenal Football Club ahead of their own personal self-interest. I would suggest that you may even AGREE with that last sentence but as I suggested earlier to admit as much is more difficult than anything else. Maybe I am wrong but many Gooners seem this way as I said, preferring to sacrifice their own credibility at times to preserve their notion of the Board’s credibility remain intact, offering arguments that contradict their own arguments simply to fight off other arguments to again preserve and protect their basic beliefs in Arsenal, the Arsenal Way, and the Custodians of the Club
VforVictory wrote: I have never had 100% confidence in the board, but we are stuck with the board.
True enough, but if the Board had just continued as it had prior to 2005 would we even be having this debate? And because we are stuck with them as you suggest are we helpless do anything but just accept whatever they say or do without question or criticism? There were VERY REAL and GENUINE questions and concerns about the is project and the Board’s approach to it, and very few people were willing to ask them and fewer still who got anything approaching real answers. Fair enough they did what they were legally obligated to do and say as you rightly alluded to earlier, but that doesn’t mean we were obligated to thank them and go home and forget our concerns. Too many Gooners WANTED to believe them facts be damned because all they knew growing was believing and trusting our Board on these matters unconditionally I believe.
VforVictory wrote: Many have, and continue, to write to the club urging a better standard of player.
Fair enough but that’s not what we’re talking about here. We’re talking about as you yourself suggest the Board mis-leading the supporters about the consequences of an unnecessary project that benefitted them far more than it did Arsenal football Club short or as far as I can see long term. THAT’S what we need to be asking aboiut and just how long our Board intends to persist with this course of action.

VforVictory wrote: They would be discussed a lot on this Forum, because Spurs are traditional rivals. They would be less emotional, but one cannot and should not seperate emotion from support of one's club.
No one is suggesting separating emotion from supporting your club. That’s unfathomable.

I am saying we need to separate emotion from rationalism in discussing rational issues affecting Arsenal – I would suggest whether or not the Board is acting in the club’s best interest pursuing these projects as it has and can be trusted to act in its best interests going forward are questions that cannot be determined emotionally or based on preconceived belief and faith or even simple optimism or pessimism. There is no room for anything that would cloud honest judgment in this discussion, and nothing clouds honest discussion and objective analysis and conclusion more than emotion or faith – in ANY subject.

You can’t believe in something or someone simply because you want to, but because the facts show you can. That’s my point here. Tom Vermaelen isn’t 6-1 because you want to believe it or 5-9 because you want to believe that. He’s 5-11 because by official records believed true that is how tall he actually is (could those records be fake – save that for another day…) But again the point is simple facts should always trump hopes. Few groups fail to recognize that as spectacularily as football supporters period. Look at the madness at Old Trafford since the Locusts – oops - Glazers came in.

And before you ask I know little or nothing about United and the Glazers. That name comes from their conduct on my side of the pond. Not good people.

Gooner_Sam

Post by Gooner_Sam »

USMartin wrote:
VforVictory wrote: On your posts on here, there has been a "Fixed line" approach from you. You have berated me for introducing new ideas into the discussion, yet now claim to champion such an approach from yourself. You cannot have it both ways

It is perfectly reasonable for one's views to evolve and grow over time based on new facts - such as gaining a closer undertsanding of the club's debt over a period of time and realizing that there not one but two significant loans the club took and had the only taken the first one that the negative impact would have certainly been far less significant, instaed of assuming that all of the negative impact was in fact down to the new stadium.

That is drastically different from simply offering scattershot theories with little or no supporting evidence to contradict theories based on factual evidence which is what you are doing. You are absolutely within your right to offer a contraidctory theory or theories but they should have some genuine basis real conviction butressed by provable fact, and not scattershot speculation solely meant to cloud or confuse the issue.

Your trust in the Board's judgment may yet be proven right when all is said and done (and I don't mean in 50 years :D ) but it won't be this way I assure you. But whatever happens I don't want or need I both ways - I want it one way and that is I want the truth for the sake of the football club.
VforVictory wrote: agree that the board's insistence that the stadium development would not affect the team is not true. One might split hairs and say that the board only mention the stadium development, rather than Highbury, but the inference is in my opinion that the move from Highbury would not affect the team. It clearly has. But so have the era of the "Oligarchs", and factors concerning individual players.
Its funny how much we are in agreement at times yet how far apart we remain. I suspect that is down to your hesitancy to criticize or condemn these actions by the Board as what they are – a failure to protect the best interests of Arsenal Football Club ahead of their own personal self-interest. I would suggest that you may even AGREE with that last sentence but as I suggested earlier to admit as much is more difficult than anything else. Maybe I am wrong but many Gooners seem this way as I said, preferring to sacrifice their own credibility at times to preserve their notion of the Board’s credibility remain intact, offering arguments that contradict their own arguments simply to fight off other arguments to again preserve and protect their basic beliefs in Arsenal, the Arsenal Way, and the Custodians of the Club
VforVictory wrote: I have never had 100% confidence in the board, but we are stuck with the board.
True enough, but if the Board had just continued as it had prior to 2005 would we even be having this debate? And because we are stuck with them as you suggest are we helpless do anything but just accept whatever they say or do without question or criticism? There were VERY REAL and GENUINE questions and concerns about the is project and the Board’s approach to it, and very few people were willing to ask them and fewer still who got anything approaching real answers. Fair enough they did what they were legally obligated to do and say as you rightly alluded to earlier, but that doesn’t mean we were obligated to thank them and go home and forget our concerns. Too many Gooners WANTED to believe them facts be damned because all they knew growing was believing and trusting our Board on these matters unconditionally I believe.
VforVictory wrote: Many have, and continue, to write to the club urging a better standard of player.
Fair enough but that’s not what we’re talking about here. We’re talking about as you yourself suggest the Board mis-leading the supporters about the consequences of an unnecessary project that benefitted them far more than it did Arsenal football Club short or as far as I can see long term. THAT’S what we need to be asking aboiut and just how long our Board intends to persist with this course of action.

VforVictory wrote: They would be discussed a lot on this Forum, because Spurs are traditional rivals. They would be less emotional, but one cannot and should not seperate emotion from support of one's club.
No one is suggesting separating emotion from supporting your club. That’s unfathomable.

I am saying we need to separate emotion from rationalism in discussing rational issues affecting Arsenal – I would suggest whether or not the Board is acting in the club’s best interest pursuing these projects as it has and can be trusted to act in its best interests going forward are questions that cannot be determined emotionally or based on preconceived belief and faith or even simple optimism or pessimism. There is no room for anything that would cloud honest judgment in this discussion, and nothing clouds honest discussion and objective analysis and conclusion more than emotion or faith – in ANY subject.

You can’t believe in something or someone simply because you want to, but because the facts show you can. That’s my point here. Tom Vermaelen isn’t 6-1 because you want to believe it or 5-9 because you want to believe that. He’s 5-11 because by official records believed true that is how tall he actually is (could those records be fake – save that for another day…) But again the point is simple facts should always trump hopes. Few groups fail to recognize that as spectacularily as football supporters period. Look at the madness at Old Trafford since the Locusts – oops - Glazers came in.

And before you ask I know little or nothing about United and the Glazers. That name comes from their conduct on my side of the pond. Not good people.
Ivan? :lol:

USMartin

Post by USMartin »

VforVictory wrote: Nothing dishonest here. I do not believe that the two projects individually or combined put the actual existence of the club at risk.
The dishonesty is in combining them in any way when you know in fact they were not combined. And the re-developing Highbury was in no way whatsoever essential to the new stadium’s completion or the payment of the loan for the new stadium.. It is basically no different than the Board constantly relating all questions of finance and spending to the new stadium without mention the re-development at all really in such matter until it was Highbury Square and the flats were ready to go. You are trying to obscure the point of just unnecessary – and costly – that project was to Arsenal Football Club. And that no disrespect in intended would be considered dishonest or misleading. Viewing the projects as anything but separate and satisfying different sets of interests is dishonest.
VforVictory wrote: There was an element of financial risk. I said that all along. Both with the stadium and the Highbury development, hence my insistence both were gambles.

You said Highbury redvelopment was not a gamble.

So if you say it was not a gamble, why do you say it was a risk?

VforVictory wrote: I have clearly stated that Highbury revelopment was a gamble, and you argued against me, so why are you now saying that it was a risk?

In this case there is no contradiction – I am saying it was not a gamble for the Arsenal Board members who were using the club’s money to pay for a project to increase the value of their shareholdings and their attractiveness to buyers. The most they lose is a little pride and the paper value of their shares so there shares are maybe 5000 now instead of 10000. What a gamble that is for them.

But in fact given their philosophical belief in not investing personal funds into the club there were de-stabilizing financially sufficiently so that any deviation for the worse – such as dropping from the top four - could have had similar impact to what it did at Leeds United. Not as quickly or dramatically perhaps but the same sort of effect and dropping through the top four andf even through the top eight all while we’re still in serious financial difficulty.

The point being the Board wasn’t gambling anything real of its own but was risking our football club’s future as it made this decision.

USMartin

Post by USMartin »

Gooner_Sam wrote:Ivan? :lol:
Uh...no, and certainly not THAT Ivan if that is who you mean

Nope just Martin the US hence USMartin :barscarf:

VforVictory

Post by VforVictory »

USMARTIN SAID:

vforvictory says:

No. I just have a different opinion to you. I chose to look beyond an FA report which is limited to only documentary/interview evidence, but as anyone knows there is more to history than what is written down.

USMARTIN SAID:
Your trust in the Board's judgment may yet be proven right when all is said and done (and I don't mean in 50 years ) but it won't be this way I assure you.

vforvictory says:

What trust? I have neither trust nor accusation as regards the board.
I can see extra profit, I can also see reduced quality of players. I will judge in as many years down the line as I am still alive to be able to do so.

USMARTIN SAID:

We’re talking about as you yourself suggest the Board mis-leading the supporters about the consequences of an unnecessary project that benefitted them far more than it did Arsenal football Club short or as far as I can see long term. THAT’S what we need to be asking aboiut and just how long our Board intends to persist with this course of action.

vforvictory says:

Plenty of fans have written, phoned, and complained on message boards.

USMARTIN SAID:
He’s 5-11 because by official records believed true that is how tall he [Vermaelen] actually is (could those records be fake – save that for another day…)

vforvictory says:

Actually, if one goes by Wikipedia then there has to be an element of doubt because it is a website that can be altered by the public, so from time to time “falseâ€

merson_is_god

Post by merson_is_god »

Provided we sign at least one Kanu type Nigerian a season and they play at least 10 matches each season. :D

USMartin

Post by USMartin »

VforVictory wrote: No. I just have a different opinion to you. I chose to look beyond an FA report which is limited to only documentary/interview evidence, but as anyone knows there is more to history than what is written down.
No offense but this sounds like someone who trusts lies over facts when they do not support theirs views.

That meay seem harsh but in all seriousness you are trusting the word of people whose emotions drive their judgment rather than objectivity too often to validate those claims without some real substantiation. You would trusty bloggers who refer in their reports and analysis to Cuntley Cole and Cashley Cole. Perfectly fair even justified perhaps to FEEL that way but to present those feelings as fact without substantiation is wrong and for you to present such things as facts is just wrong.

BTW actually it sounds more like you've got four or five different opinions then mine...
VforVictory wrote: What trust? I have neither trust nor accusation as regards the board. I can see extra profit, I can also see reduced quality of players. I will judge in as many years down the line as I am still alive to be able to do so.
Ah yes histiory will show our Board always put the interests of Arsenal Football Club - very good President Bush. You simply want to avoid answering the questions now because you can't answer thme the way you want to at this point or any time soon for that matter in all liklelihood
VforVictory wrote: As for whether the Highbury development meant the club could have dropped out of the top four, it did not drop out of the top four. You have mentioned that I should not question what “mightâ€
Last edited by USMartin on Tue May 25, 2010 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

USMartin

Post by USMartin »

merson_is_god wrote:Provided we sign at least one Kanu type Nigerian a season and they play at least 10 matches each season. :D
Can we sign the girl in your sig ?

VforVictory

Post by VforVictory »

USMartin wrote:
VforVictory wrote: No. I just have a different opinion to you. I chose to look beyond an FA report which is limited to only documentary/interview evidence, but as anyone knows there is more to history than what is written down.
No offense but this sounds like someone who trusts lies over facts when they do not support theirs views.

vforvictory says:

Your opinion, but I do not agree.

That meay seem harsh but in all seriousness you are trusting the word of people whose emotions drive their judgment rather than objectivity too often to validate those claims without some real substantiation. You would trusty bloggers who refer in their reports and analysis to Cuntley Cole and Cashley Cole. Perfectly fair even justified perhaps to FEEL that way but to present those feelings as fact without substantiation is wrong and for you to present such things as facts is just wrong.

BTW actually it sounds more like you've got four or five different opinions then mine...
VforVictory wrote: What trust? I have neither trust nor accusation as regards the board. I can see extra profit, I can also see reduced quality of players. I will judge in as many years down the line as I am still alive to be able to do so.
Ah yes histiory will show our Board always put the interests of Arsenal Football Club - very good President Bush. You simply want to avoid answering the questions now because you can't answer thme the way you want to at this point or any time soon for that matter in all liklelihood

vforvictory says:

I am unable to judge the effects of the move, the new stadium, or Highbury redevelopment, because more time is needed to give perspective.

VforVictory wrote: As for whether the Highbury development meant the club could have dropped out of the top four, it did not drop out of the top four. You have mentioned that I should not question what “mightâ€

USMartin

Post by USMartin »

VforVictory wrote: Your opinion, but I do not agree.
But of course. But my opinion is correct - you choose to to give the same or greater credibility to supporters presenting claims without substantiation based on views lacking objectivity and driven by emotion and loyalty to the club than actual testimony from the people actaully involved in what happened in a official investigation of the incident

You would trust bloggers who refer in their reports and analysis to Cuntley Cole and Cashley Cole rather than the facts recorded by the Premier League.

So yes you would rather believe non-factual claims you want to believe than fact-based reports you don't want to believe.
VforVictory wrote: I am unable to judge the effects of the move, the new stadium, or Highbury redevelopment, because more time is needed to give perspective.
I would say unwilling is more accurate. We already know that the re-dvelopment's impact is and you have acknowledged as much. You simply cannot condemn the Board and acknowledged that they betrayed you as much as they did Arsenal in abandoning the role as custodians of the club to try and line their pockets. Yes we amde an additional 30 million pounds but there is no guarantee that money will EVER benefit Arsenal Football Club as much as it does its shareholders, while it is beyond even your ability to claim that the project generating that revenue did not clearly damage the football club (as the football club and not as a corporate entity) and weaken the football team. Indeed you acknowledge as much, even that the Board misled supporters as to whether that would happen.

You simply cannot condemn therm for it because you cannot believe they let you and all of us down that way because you never imagined they could let would do that. That is the sole reason to continue dishonestly confalting two seperate projects irrelevant to each other one of which you acknowlldge was unnecessary and so far has benifitted sharer holder far more than the football club. You simply cannot admit the Board let you or me or us down.

You actually agree as I said earlier with much of what I believe - you just seem to regret that reality - which is understandable ( I can barely stand to be associated with myself as well :lol: ). But seriously you just can't bring yourself to condemn what the Board has done it seems
VforVictory wrote: No, you are referring to your intepretation of the Highbury redevelopment.
Yes I guess I am - and it looks to be correct. It did in 2005 and 2007 and in 2009 and it never seems to look less correct I'm afraid. Only as correct or more correct.

VforVictory

Post by VforVictory »

Just have to "agree to disagree".

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

VforVictory wrote:Just have to "agree to disagree".
:coffeespit:

After all the mammoth posts and reply after reply after reply after reply thats the best you can come up with???? :banghead: :wink:

VforVictory

Post by VforVictory »

flash gunner wrote:

After all the mammoth posts and reply after reply after reply after reply thats the best you can come up with???? :banghead: :wink:
Thought you stopped reading this thread on page 4? :D

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

USMartin wrote:

What's the names of those two old guys on the Muppet Show, up in the balcony...? :wink: :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

flash gunner wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Quality Flash. 8)