Connor Wickham - great prospect.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
QuartzGooner

Connor Wickham - great prospect.

Post by QuartzGooner »

Ipswich's Connor Wickham looks very very good.

Tall, strong, fast, well balanced, able to pass short and long, and not afraid to shoot, though not a prolific goalscorer.

His playing style reminds me of Zidane, though obviously his level and career have a long way (and a headbutt or two) to go for a direct comparison!

He looked a very good attacking midfielder against us, can also play as a main striker, and I really hope Wenger signs him up, he looks first team ready, all be it he would need to be introduced to top flight football gradually with substitute appearances to avoid injuries from playing too much too soon.
Last edited by QuartzGooner on Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Red Gunner

Post by Red Gunner »

Last edited by Red Gunner on Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 1989 »

He's shite.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

He's ok but dont let Wenger near him or Palace/Borrusia Munchegladbach will have a new player in 3 years time

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

I would add a note of caution.He was up against Comedy Eboue :banghead: :banghead:

Charlie! Charlie!

Post by Charlie! Charlie! »

Wickham or Bendtner? :roll:

basilbrush14

Re: Connor Wickham - great prospect.

Post by basilbrush14 »

QuartzGooner wrote:Ipswich's Connor Wickham looks very very good.

Tall, strong, fast, well balanced, able to pass short and long, and not afraid to shoot, though not a prolific goalscorer.

His playing style reminds me of Zidane, though obviously his level and career have a long way (and a headbutt or two) to go for a direct comparison!

He looked a very good attacking midfielder against us, can also play as a main striker, and I really hope Wenger signs him up, he looks first team ready, all be it he would need to be introduced to top flight football gradually with substitute appearances to avoid injuries from playing too much too soon.
Not afraid to shoot - well old Arsene would knock that out of him pretty sharpish! :banghead:

We've had enough of prospects t :banghead: tbh mate. We need seasoned players not the next Zidane.

I Hate Hleb

Re: Connor Wickham - great prospect.

Post by I Hate Hleb »

QuartzGooner wrote:Ipswich's Connor Wickham looks very very good.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :? :? :?

What drugs you taking man? :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

rigsby

Post by rigsby »

Tbh he looked a lot older than 17.

People saying we shouldn't sign him? If he ends up knocking them in for the *word censored* down the road we'll all be furious.

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

That will most likely be his destination because, unlike us, Spurs aren't afraid of buying English talent. :roll:

highburyJD

Post by highburyJD »

flash gunner wrote:He's ok but dont let Wenger near him or Palace/Borrusia Munchegladbach will have a new player in 3 years time
?? sorry WTF!?
Wenger has a lot of failings

an inability to nurture young talent is palpably not one of them
which young players has been shipped out of Arsenal and gone on to bigger and better things...?

last one I can think of is Andy effing Cole

HashKads

Post by HashKads »

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

highburyJD wrote:
flash gunner wrote:He's ok but dont let Wenger near him or Palace/Borrusia Munchegladbach will have a new player in 3 years time
?? sorry WTF!?
Wenger has a lot of failings

an inability to nurture young talent is palpably not one of them
which young players has been shipped out of Arsenal and gone on to bigger and better things...?

last one I can think of is Andy effing Cole
Lets turn that question around apart from Cesc (and even Cesc we got after Barca had done all of his youth coaching) what young up and coming star is the last one to make it big from the Arsenal youth/reserve team? Our "top" young players populate the lower reaches of the English or foreign leagues. Havard Nordeit was suposed to be the new Tony Adams when we signed him where is he now? Borrusia Munchegladbach for £800,000..... Strange that isnt it? Rui Fonte? at Espanyol on loan where he cant get a game for Sporting Lisbon...... the list goes on mate

highburyJD

Post by highburyJD »

and they are a list of players not good enough
a completely different point - if they are good enough and wenger getting his hands on them is the prob they would subsequently succeed elsewhere

HashKads

Post by HashKads »

highburyJD wrote:and they are a list of players not good enough
a completely different point - if they are good enough and wenger getting his hands on them is the prob they would subsequently succeed elsewhere
Some of these players were bought, so why buy them if there not good enough?