Gervinho....

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
djvandyke

Post by djvandyke »

Gervinho is a quality player, delighted if we get him. I think the fact that the vast majority of the criticism here is of a racist xenophobic nature speaks for itself.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

djvandyke wrote:Gervinho is a quality player, delighted if we get him. I think the fact that the vast majority of the criticism here is of a racist xenophobic nature speaks for itself.
Sorry mate, I have to pull you up on that one. I find nothing racist on this thread. There are a couple of borderline xenophobic comments (but xenophobia is NOT racism) and a really stupid inapropriate one about Wenger "going black" from frankbutcher but none of it is racist. I despise racism and racist arseholes but let's not be too keen to wave the racism card where it's not warranted.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
brazilianGOONER wrote:
zero 6 wrote:If he's that good, why ain't Real Madrid, Barca, United, Inter etc kicking down Lille's doors to sign him ? Same as Chamakch last year, hardly queuing round the block we're they :banghead:
i don't remember any of the clubs you mention queuing round the block when we signed dennis bergkamp, thierry henry or robert pires as well.

and if that's not strong enough an argument, then i don't know what is.

Time to dust up on your history my south american comrade - Bergkamp came to us from inter (one of the clubs mentioned above) after having a poor first season in serie a which led to them ruthlessly dumping him but prior to that he was one of the most sought after players in europe.
Henry came to us after a similar poor debut season with juve who were one of the elite clubs in europe at that time. He had signed for them as one of the top young prospects in europe so you cant say that no top clubs had tried to sign them when top clubs had signed them and sold them onto us after 1 meagre year
But in fairness to BG at the time we actually signed them there was little if any interest from other clubs because of those meagre years each player had. To a certain extent they had both been almost (almost) written off by Europe's big clubs. How wrong they were! :D 8)

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

DB10GOONER wrote:
augie wrote:
brazilianGOONER wrote:
zero 6 wrote:If he's that good, why ain't Real Madrid, Barca, United, Inter etc kicking down Lille's doors to sign him ? Same as Chamakch last year, hardly queuing round the block we're they :banghead:
i don't remember any of the clubs you mention queuing round the block when we signed dennis bergkamp, thierry henry or robert pires as well.

and if that's not strong enough an argument, then i don't know what is.

Time to dust up on your history my south american comrade - Bergkamp came to us from inter (one of the clubs mentioned above) after having a poor first season in serie a which led to them ruthlessly dumping him but prior to that he was one of the most sought after players in europe.
Henry came to us after a similar poor debut season with juve who were one of the elite clubs in europe at that time. He had signed for them as one of the top young prospects in europe so you cant say that no top clubs had tried to sign them when top clubs had signed them and sold them onto us after 1 meagre year
But in fairness to BG at the time we actually signed them there was little if any interest from other clubs because of those meagre years each player had. To a certain extent they had both been almost (almost) written off by Europe's big clubs. How wrong they were! :D 8)
I think the negative reaction to the latest two signings is down to our lack of faith in Wenger and his now perceived inability to buy "bargains" and make them stars.
There have beeen too many "bargains" in the last 5 seasons which eventually proved to be nothing of the sort. And more importantly those "bargains" are still at the club waitng to be turned into stars.

Percy Dalton

Post by Percy Dalton »

A friend of mine who is in the know says he is in London today

For a haircut.

:lol:

augie

Post by augie »

I agree 100% with sid - jenkinson/gervinho/samba/ox or whoever are gonna be under an awful lot more pressure as a result of the recent disaster no name signings (almunia,kos,squillachi etc) and great young prospects (theo, denilson,vela,diaby,song, bendtner) . Like it or not we want to see wenger signing proven quality players, not necessarily huge signings that stun the football world, but proven quality all the same.

Is ashley young over-rated ? Possibly but he has still proven that he has the quality to play in this league where as gervinho has not. I accept that as of now young is not going to be joining us but I am making the point, using him as an example, that there is much less risk (and right now we need to minimise the risks we take) signing someone like young over gervinho.

Some pc type's may like to make this a racist/xenophobia issue but tbh I dont really care and I feel totally comfortable saying that I do not want wenger to sign any french or african players 8) Most will know that I feel wenger should go but seeing as that aint happening then I want to see him changing his approach in its entirety as a sign of acceptance that his approach has failed and for me continuing to sign the same type of players that he has been doing does not suggest a new approach.

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

To be fair he sticks to French and African players because they are the only ones still impressed by his aura and reputation, English lads like Smalling and Jones know he can do nothing for them.

They are also cheaper, he will never change this approach.

BT

Post by BT »

Only read the last few pages so sorry if this has already raised but isn't the biggest problem with signing an Ivorian the ACN this year? I know little about him honestly but at least he's won something and is a bit older. That said, all feels a bit like Chamakh take II (who will also be at the ACN).

augie

Post by augie »

Think I read somewhere that the guy scored 15 goals last season ( :? ) which isnt a while lot different to chamakh's 12 goals the season before he joined us. I am not anti chamakh as such but I see him as a squad player more than first 11 and if that stat on gervinho is correct it doesnt exactly suggest anything more than a squad player either when I feel that we should be signing players that are of the required standard to be in our first 11 now and then top up the squad after that

Boomer

Post by Boomer »

augie wrote:Think I read somewhere that the guy scored 15 goals last season ( :? ) which isnt a while lot different to chamakh's 12 goals the season before he joined us. I am not anti chamakh as such but I see him as a squad player more than first 11 and if that stat on gervinho is correct it doesnt exactly suggest anything more than a squad player either when I feel that we should be signing players that are of the required standard to be in our first 11 now and then top up the squad after that
But 15 goals for a midfielder is pretty decent. Nasri got 15 in all, Walcott 13 Arshavin 10.

Bendtners Drinking Buddy

Post by Bendtners Drinking Buddy »

I dont think we can really judge him until he plays for us, but at least he has won things with his current team, so has that pedigree.

That said, i do find it strange we are buying a player in ACN year....

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Bendtners Drinking Buddy wrote:I dont think we can really judge him until he plays for us, but at least he has won things with his current team, so has that pedigree.

That said, i do find it strange we are buying a player in ACN year....
When in May or August :wink: :lol:

Its Up 4 Grabs Now

Post by Its Up 4 Grabs Now »

BT wrote:Only read the last few pages so sorry if this has already raised but isn't the biggest problem with signing an Ivorian the ACN this year? I know little about him honestly but at least he's won something and is a bit older. That said, all feels a bit like Chamakh take II (who will also be at the ACN).
Not just next season, the one after as well - there’s 2 in a row. :banghead: Although one of them’s due to be in Libya :shock: so who knows - maybe we can organise a meet-&-greet for Eboue with Gadaffi. :barscarf:

Injury to RVP around Christmas, Chamakh & Gervinho off to the ACN in January & all of a sudden it’s back to Arshavin up top leading the line. :(

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

I hate it when we buy a player off of the back of one good season. No-one was talking about Gervinho before last season? One good thing is that he can play as a wide man so hopefully that will stop Wenger playing central midfielders/strikers out there! However, it also means he will probably persist with the 4-5-1 formation (some people call it 4-3-3 but it's not)! That is really bad news!

Boomer

Post by Boomer »

TeeCee wrote:I hate it when we buy a player off of the back of one good season. No-one was talking about Gervinho before last season? One good thing is that he can play as a wide man so hopefully that will stop Wenger playing central midfielders/strikers out there! However, it also means he will probably persist with the 4-5-1 formation (some people call it 4-3-3 but it's not)! That is really bad news!
Pretty sure we were linked last year.

Edit: Linked for over 3 years.

http://www.onlinegooner.com/phpbb2/view ... t=gervinho

http://www.onlinegooner.com/phpbb2/view ... t=gervinho