WC 2014 qualification draw

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Chips and Chocolate

Post by Chips and Chocolate »

Well chuffed about the draw! No way I'm going to Glasgow & Cardiff though. Belgian away fans are a fuckin' pain in the arse: jester hats, face painting and all :lol:

safcftm

Post by safcftm »

1989 wrote:England's group is not as easy as it looks.
It is like- Montenegro, Ukraine and Poland are all okay, without being anything special, and the good thing is that they will all take points off each other so I think England can afford a few slip ups along the way and still be fine

Mind the best games of the qualifying will be the Serbia v Croatia ones :lol:

Chippy

Post by Chippy »

6th best team in the world. :roll:

Irish Gooner

Post by Irish Gooner »

England will piss their group I think. Poland and Ukraine are poor.
Montenegro are good but only a 2nd place side at best.

Scotland, and Wales got no chance I feel. N. Ireland have an outside chance their group is quite poor.

Rep Ireland tough enough group I feel, 2nd at most and another play off..... :roll:

ThomasMitchell

Post by ThomasMitchell »

International football = :yawn:
Just means our players getting injured. Ban international football.

safcftm

Post by safcftm »

ThomasMitchell wrote:International football = :yawn:
Nope- would hate to be left with nothing but a boring "which of a few ridiculously well funded corporate shitebags are going to win the premier league this year". At least you cant just buy your way to success in international football

ThomasMitchell

Post by ThomasMitchell »

safcftm wrote:
ThomasMitchell wrote:International football = :yawn:
Nope- would hate to be left with nothing but a boring "which of a few ridiculously well funded corporate shitebags are going to win the premier league this year". At least you cant just buy your way to success in international football
Fair point. Well then lets have a team that does not consist of anyone who plays for the moaners, tottingham or the Chavs. Can never cheer on anyone that plays for that lot.

LDB
Location: Having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over

Post by LDB »

safcftm wrote: At least you cant just buy your way to success in international football
As English football proves time & time again :lol:

SpanishJoe

Post by SpanishJoe »

I don't think we could have had a better draw if we'd been allowed to choose. I bet every other top seeded country would gladly swap their group for ours.

How many of us can our Brazilian member cater for?

Post by 1989 »

safcftm wrote:
It is like- Montenegro, Ukraine and Poland are all okay, without being anything special, and the good thing is that they will all take points off each other so I think England can afford a few slip ups along the way and still be fine

Montenegro are not to be underestimated they're leading their Euro 2012 group which has England in it. Poland and Ukraine are very decent teams. We are favorites as always but we've a habit of mucking things up so you never know.

safcftm

Post by safcftm »

1989 wrote:
safcftm wrote:

Montenegro are not to be underestimated they're leading their Euro 2012 group which has England in it. Poland and Ukraine are very decent teams. We are favorites as always but we've a habit of mucking things up so you never know.
[pedantic twat] England are actually leading the group on goal difference [/pedantic twat]

I know what you mean though but lets be honest, we'll qualify from that group- Poland are fairly shite, they managed to finish 5th in their world cup 2010 qualifying group and it contained the mighty powerhouses of Slovakia, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Northern Ireland (yes, they finished below Northern Ireland) and San Marino. In 10 games they got 11 points, 6 of which were against San Marino so 5 points from 8 games against mediocre sides, I think we can safely assume they wont top the group.

Then theres the Ukraine who we finished 6 points ahead of in the 2010 qualification process (losing over there but only when we had already won the group and it was thus a dead rubber for us) and who have gone on to have medoicre friendly results since. I think its safe to assume them and Poland will take points from each other. Montenegro are decent but again, we should easily enough finish ahead of them and they're good enough to take points off Ukraine and Poland. I'm not one of the cocky England fans, but there's 3 teams who will take points off each other and that will mean we wont need to do too spectacularly to top the group. We'll get to 2014 at a canter imo, its just a pain in the arse that we'll lose to the first decent team we play when we get there

northbankbren

Post by northbankbren »

Ireland got a nice easy group :barscarf: 8) :lol: :banghead:

RaM

Post by RaM »

Tough group for Ireland. :cry:

At least Australia should be there. :lol: In a group with Indonesia, Oman and Saudia Arabia...have to progress through that into another draw/group but should be ok.

Magic Hat

Post by Magic Hat »

Decent group. The danger is Montenegro as we are already witnessing, Poland aren't very good... Ukraine at best will be gambling on young players breaking through so maybe a transitional period. Or not be very good.