Zonal Marking ?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

For or against Zonal Marking

For
3%
Against
97%

Total votes: 34

OOKed

Post by OOKed »

Both work .. if you properly teach them and practice them ..

However,

If you keep telling your players that they are 'special' and don't prepare to counter the opponent's tactics in every game ..

If you don't do your homework and is cocky enough to believe you have one Plan that works in all occasions no matter what ..

then neither will work !

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Against. Samba picked up BFG at our corners, Samba had free headers at their corners. Can't remember who said it first but when did a zone last score a goal?

Rosie_titters

Post by Rosie_titters »

if letting 12 goals in, in our last two away games - means we keep playing Zonal Marking

then fuck it

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

I would like to know the reasoning as to why our coaches think this Zonal Marking system will improve our defence.

I think any new system will likely take time to work well.

worthing_gooner

Post by worthing_gooner »

Zonal marking is shit. A good bit of movement and you're distracted and someone can come in behind and have a free header.

At least with man marking you know this is your player and you need to stick with him no matter where he goes.

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

I have never seen an empty space score a goal!!!

Jumpers For Goalposts

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

It's not just zonal marking though is it?? Our defending from back to front is shit because most of the players aren't good enough, they're not drilled well enough and they are totally f**kin' clueless when we haven't got the ball.

Watch the Man Utd v Chelsea game again - when Man Utd didn't have the ball they worked like dogs to get it back. Even Rooney who is their main man works his socks off so that the opposition can't settle on the ball. Barca do exactly the same and it's no co-incidence that these are the 2 best teams in the World.

Our precious little babies act as if chasing the ball or their man is way, way beneath them and once again that is mostly down to Wenger who seems to give them precious little instructions and never changes the way we play. :banghead: :banghead:

zero 6

Post by zero 6 »

Wouldn't trust us Pri-Marking at the moment :banghead:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

As already stated you can simply put 2 or 3 players at the back post have a player block the Arsenal defender and you have 2 players absolutely free.

For Blackburn's 3rd yesterday they had two free players at the far post with noone within 5 yards of them, to challenge, block etc.

Its an absolute shambles.

Barriecuda

Post by Barriecuda »

It's a piss poor system at the higher levels. With the speed of the modern player, they can move in and out of defenders marking zones too fast for defenders to effectively communicate.

Call your man and mark him. Have some competitive spirit/pride and don't let him get by you. FFS.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Turnip doing tactics?? :coffeespit:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Zonal marking is harder to do right because it requires more discipline and concentration. Players tend to want to go with the man and they have to overcome that urge and just police their zone.

Man marking is easier to get right but both can work if the players are disciplined enough and if they are coached correctly within the system.

With the likes of Sqiggy, Djourou and Kos, I would NEVER use zonal marking. Ever.

RaM

Post by RaM »

We should just man mark. Simpler.

Besides, our defenders don't seem competent enough and or don't communicate well enough, to establish a decent zonal system.

Every defender picks a player, and makes sure their player doesn't get an opportunity to score. Not complicated.

Boomer

Post by Boomer »

As already previously said it simply won't work if it's not taught! :roll: :banghead:

What's the point of saying "Hey! we're going to use zonal marking." To then go and only practice 'one touch passing in a small area...." :roll:

The zonal marking system has to work throughout the team not just the defenders. Especially with set pieces in mind.
I very much doubt they practice this.

There were already problems defensively with a lack of responsibility, but now with zonal marking your only concerned about YOUR area, and your area alone.
You'd certainly never see Adams, Bould, Campbell or Keown simply leave a ball as it wasn't theirs. :roll: NO they'd fucking break a neck to get rid of it at the first chance.

Also What happens if more then one player is in your zone? This happened several times on Saturday.

We've got more months of this shit to come. :roll: :banghead:

benlaimwolf

Post by benlaimwolf »

I would look at banning corners. That's what Wenger was trying to do on transfer deadline day, right?