Where do you lot stand on individual TV deals?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
northbankbren

Re: DB

Post by northbankbren »

Herd wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:I just can't believe that Herd/Rahim has not taken this opportunity to post a witty quip about owning a 72 inch plasma screen tv in his luxury apartment in New York and/or Monaco!! :shock:

Maybe school is hotting up for him. Exams and shit, huh?

:-P :wink:
Easy DB now take that poor pony for a quick ride round the estate Image
waheeeeyyyyyy!!!!!!

:fishing:

easy enough eh db :lol:

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

We've been a beneficiary of the Premier League money.....and the CL money.....and would also be a beneficiary of an individual TV deal. But I still can't help but think we'd be better off without the lot of them!

The old First Division was massively more competitive than the Premier League has ever been - and that is even taking into account Liverpool's dominance in the 1970/80's. Teams could realistically challenge for the title immediately after getting promoted.

And the old European Cup/UEFA Cup/CW Cup format was far more exciting than the CL......

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Football is already dying as a competitive form of entertainment because of the gulf in finances between the the clubs.
Individual tv rights would only make it even worse. So no I am against it.

biglunn

Post by biglunn »

Absolutely dead against it.

I would hate it if we have a league like in Spain where teams outside of the big 2 have virtually no chance o winning anything. What makes the PL so great is he fact that anyone can beat anyone (or do I say 'anyone can beat us'). And if the powers that be at Arsenal showed a little more ambition over the past few years, we would have won a few trophies.

As it is, and as it has been, any extra money generated would not be going into the team. We should know that by now with the profit that is being made on transfers at the expense of the team

DB10GOONER

Re: DB

Post by DB10GOONER »

northbankbren wrote:
Herd wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:I just can't believe that Herd/Rahim has not taken this opportunity to post a witty quip about owning a 72 inch plasma screen tv in his luxury apartment in New York and/or Monaco!! :shock:

Maybe school is hotting up for him. Exams and shit, huh?

:-P :wink:
Easy DB now take that poor pony for a quick ride round the estate Image
waheeeeyyyyyy!!!!!!

:fishing:

easy enough eh db :lol:
:lol:

:happydance:

RioGooner

Post by RioGooner »

Completely against it, just look at spain and see that 18 of the 20 teams struggle even to get major sponsor deals due to their low media exposure. That's just Liverpool being desperate.

Babatunde

Post by Babatunde »

I think those who think it wold benefit Arsenal are smoking far too much crack.

Arsenal are no longer a big draw. Arsenal are a laughing stock. This would harm Arsenal, who are even having the piss taken out of them on Asian fotball networks.

This would help ManYoo, Chelski, Citeh and Liverpool pull away from absolutely everybody. Then the AKBs would have a new excuse that 'oh with the tv deals we cannot compete'...before they cough up another 14.5% to pay for Diaby's latest do-rag.
:roll:

Chips and Chocolate

Post by Chips and Chocolate »

Babatunde wrote:This would help ManYoo, Chelski, Citeh and Liverpool pull away from absolutely everybody
Let them form a league of their own and get back to the old First Div'. Joking aside, football is starting to piss me off big time

Offside

Post by Offside »

I'm against it because it'll be bad for small clubs like Arsenal. Mind you, the time for protesting about big money and television was 20 years ago when the Premier League was being mooted.

northbankbren

Post by northbankbren »

Was told that apparently real madrid and barcelona actually sell their rites together. Which says a lot.

I actually disagree with you baba, I think we would actually make more money that way, as we are an established name in europe. The fact is regardless of form the name Arsenal will bring punters into pubs all across europe, not only tourists but locals too. We are a massive club...in shit form yes, but we are The Arsenal, and that will always attract real football fans. We'd make far more in my opinion.

BUT it would really hurt the smaller teams. Which can only be bad for the game. On a selfish gooner view I'd go for it, as a fan of football I'd say its bad for the game.

northbankbren

Post by northbankbren »

Another double post, and didnt even click on the fekin thing twice.

OI DB......SOWT IT AAOOOUUTTT
:wink:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

I haven't got a problem with it all - in fact, what other industry would have such a ludicrous system as the current one.

Why are Dave Whelan and co. so appalled all of a sudden - nothing to do with self interest then.

Ask yourself a basic economic question - if United, City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool all suddenly pissed off from the Premier League how much would broadcasting companies pay the league for the coverage ?

If Wigan, Bolton, Blackburn and Wolves all suddenly disappeared from it would there be a decline in the broadcasting revenues ?

So why the hell should they get an equal share of the spoils ?

Would Dave Whelan proposed an equal share of commercial income from major brands between massive mutinational retailers and the independant high street retailer....course not. Hypocritical twat.

Radford149

Re: Where do you lot stand on individual TV deals?

Post by Radford149 »

safcftm wrote:Just seen an article that mentions that Liverpool are wanting to discuss doing away with the collective overseas TV deal and want to campaign to be allowed to sell their rights individually

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011 ... ay-tv-deal

What do you lot think of this? Commercially speaking I can understand the argument- people in Japan don't want to watch Swansea or Bolton (or Sunderland), they want to watch the "big 4" (no doubt the arseholes will soon start wanting to watch Man City as well) so in theory why should clubs like yourselves accept a broadly equal share of the TV money when you are one of the clubs they most want to watch? At the same time, as a fan of one of the smaller clubs in terms of interational appeal, I fear that this will simply serve to make the PL even less competitive at a time when things such as the fair play rules are, at least in theory, supposed to be increasing competition.

I think Liverpool are shitting themselves because they are worried about a prolonged absense from the CL leading them to become just another of the many also rans in the "best league in the world". They are realising that stature and size guarantees fuck all in a sport dominated by money so are desperately trying to find a way to get more of it for themselves as they know that if they stay out of the CL for a few years, the interest abroad will die down and they'll miss the boat.

In many ways, I cant really argue the case against letting clubs negotiate their own foreign TV deals but I would hate to see a situation where clubs with billionaire owners get the best players because of having billionaire owners (I know we have one like but still, we're the exception in that we have a billionaire owner and still buy shite), they then get in the CL and get shit loads of money from being in the CL and then they can sell their own TV deal on top and because of getting in the CL and the coverage that brings, they can get more money again. It just means that you'll find Man United, Chelsea, Man City and then probably (possibly) one of Arsenal and Liverpool pulling ridiculously far ahead of the other sides in terms of wealth to the point where it really ceases to be a sport as there is even less chance of a side breaking into the upper echelons without an injection of billions of pounds.

Just wondering if anyone on here would oppose the idea despite being on the other side of the fence as it were, or if everyone agrees that whilst it isnt the best for the sport, it is actually the fairest way of proceeding. I cant really argue against it, but I still hope it doesnt happen. If it does happen, it'll be just another step towards a european super league. TBH you almost wish these fucking "super clubs" would just get on with it, have their shitty super league and fuck off, leaving the rest of the clubs to have a bit more of an open tournament, albeit one with much less coverage and much less money, but there you go
radford sums this up simply as GREED GREED AND MORE FUCKING GREED

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

SteveO 35 wrote:I haven't got a problem with it all - in fact, what other industry would have such a ludicrous system as the current one.

Why are Dave Whelan and co. so appalled all of a sudden - nothing to do with self interest then.

Ask yourself a basic economic question - if United, City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool all suddenly pissed off from the Premier League how much would broadcasting companies pay the league for the coverage ?

If Wigan, Bolton, Blackburn and Wolves all suddenly disappeared from it would there be a decline in the broadcasting revenues ?

So why the hell should they get an equal share of the spoils ?

Would Dave Whelan proposed an equal share of commercial income from major brands between massive mutinational retailers and the independant high street retailer....course not. Hypocritical twat.
It'd be a pretty short season though.... Would they play each other 4 times?

richpye

Post by richpye »

You can suddenly see Man City earning 400 million pounds a year from Abu Dhabi Satellite TV can't you? Even if the going rate was 30 million per year or something.

In principle I am totally against it, however it does frustrate me that every country in Europe can see every Arsenal game live, whereas we are left to finding streams on the internet. I am not that bothered about watching non Arsenal games and would happily pay 10 quid a month for HD versions of every match.