Roy Keane???

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SpanishJoe

Post by SpanishJoe »

It shows what some chairman are like that they think an inarticulate bully with a very short fuse and no people skills would make a good manager.

At the other end of the scale some still appoint Steve Coppell, who alwys does well for the 15 minutes he's there.

REB

Post by REB »

augie wrote:
brazilianGOONER wrote:
REBEL GOONER wrote:i like roy keane :oops:
i despise the c**t. one of the footballers i hate the most. the fact that he got injured trying to injure a player and as vengeance (??????) for that he ended the poor guy's career tells you all you need to know.

Amen brother :high5:

Over here those who choose to defend the c**t (mainly either manc fans or deluded corkonian asshole's :wink: ) over his world cup walk out conveniently forget about all the times he withdrew from international squads under big jack only to always make miracle recoveries in time to play for ferguscum at the weekends :roll: :evil:

:roll:
and of course you would hate for our main players to pull out of internationals so they would be fit for arsenals next match :roll:

roy keane is not everyones favourite but what a leader on the pitch and what a player, took no shit from anyone.

augie

Post by augie »

REBEL GOONER wrote:
augie wrote:
brazilianGOONER wrote:
REBEL GOONER wrote:i like roy keane :oops:
i despise the c**t. one of the footballers i hate the most. the fact that he got injured trying to injure a player and as vengeance (??????) for that he ended the poor guy's career tells you all you need to know.

Amen brother :high5:

Over here those who choose to defend the c**t (mainly either manc fans or deluded corkonian asshole's :wink: ) over his world cup walk out conveniently forget about all the times he withdrew from international squads under big jack only to always make miracle recoveries in time to play for ferguscum at the weekends :roll: :evil:

:roll:
and of course you would hate for our main players to pull out of internationals so they would be fit for arsenals next match :roll:

roy keane is not everyones favourite but what a leader on the pitch and what a player, took no shit from anyone.

Rebel I will hold my hands up and admit I am a hypocrite.......I want Arsenal's players to be fit when we need them instead of being injured in meaningless internationals but if they get injured in a competitive international game then we just have to accept it and get on with it. What I cannot accept however is the fact that ferguscum seemed to be able to influence keane and giggs to opt out of their countries games but we hardly ever, if ever, seen any of the english players pull a sickie for their games - seems they were more proud to be english than keane was to be Irish and that sticks in my gut :evil: :evil: :evil:

A last sobering thought on the matter.......if keane was from iraq/north korea/china or some such country do you think he would have pulled out of playing for his country ? Would he fcuk cos he would be brown bread within days :roll: :evil: :evil:

Percy Dalton

Post by Percy Dalton »

I haven't read this thread at all as all I need to say is *word censored*!

8)

RossieGooner

Post by RossieGooner »

He failed cos he's a wanker with an inflated opinion of himself.

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

Although I disagreed with what he did at the World Cup, Roy Keane was undoubtedly a great player and superb leader. And I'm neither a manc or from Cork!! :lol: :lol: :wink:

RaM

Re: Roy Keane???

Post by RaM »

safcftm wrote:
Warning: the following is a long, dull post about Roy Keane and Sunderland (just so you've been warned!)

I actually don't think Keane did a bad job at Sunderland (sorry Henry Norris 1913 :wink: ), he did a great job in his first season, a good job in his second season, and then it went to shit but at least he didn't hang around waiting for a pay off!

Richardson and Chopra were a combined fee of around 8.5m- Richardson was about 3.5m and to be honest for that money the lads been a bargain- played (with limited success admittedly) in central midfield, did a good job in behind the striker for a spell, did okay on the left wing and is now our first choice left back. For 3.5m thats pretty good and he's given us a lot of years of good, versatile service. Chopra for £5m was a bit less of a bargain but he did get some important goals to help us survive in the PL.

I think when looking at Keane at Sunderland you have to remember that we had just been relegated twice in recent years, setting record low point totals each time. Quinn had come in with Drumaville, people were excited and then we had a disasterous start to the CCC season. That was a very low ebb and Keane had a huge job on to lift the players, the fans, the whole club. He was fortunate in that he was given (for championship standards) good money to spend, but he certainly did lift the place- wins at leeds and derby early on, and eventually a run that saw us have an immense second half of the season, winning the league on the last day. Money to spend or not, that was a great achievement and, by and large, his new signings had done really well and almost all played a big part in it. For that season its hard to give him other that a 9 or 10 out of 10.

Then we had the even bigger task, trying to convince decent players to sign for a PL club who had so often proved not to be able to compete- we were seen as near certainties to go back down and not many players wanted to touch us. Still, he got people in and that opening day game at home to Spurs is one that I'll never forget- the place was pretty much buzzing and right at the death Chopra swept the ball home and everyone went fucking mental- during the 15 point season (how many clubs remember seasons by how few points they got!) we only won one home game (against Fulham, a rescheduled game having been one down when the initial match was postponed), so to win on our return felt amazing. From there, well, we stayed up which was a massive achievement for us (when we went down i didnt know if we'd ever be back, to be back after a season was great, to stay up was unbelievable).

The second season wasn't as good, in fact it was poor, but we did beat the mags at home for the first time in 28 years. The trouble was, you got the impression that Keane could scare Championshi level players into performing- either they were scared of him or in awe of him, but he couldnt handle PL players, and I dont know why the fuck he brought in disruptive players like Chimbonda and Diouf, he blatantly couldnt handle them either.

He did pretty well for us overall, although I'm not saying this makes him a good manager- he had a lot of money to spend (we spent several years recovering from the 50k a week contracts he gave to the likes of McCartney and Murphy), he lost the plot eventually, seemingly refused to move to the area or agree to actually turn up to training and then when he went to Ipswich without the backing of Drumaville or a billionaire like Ellis Short, he was a disaster.

He gave us the kick up the arse we needed, he got us some media attention (of the right sort for a change) and generally changed the atmosphere of the place. Short term he was the right man for the right club at the right time. Long term he has actual mental problems imo which prevent him from becoming a good manager and he couldnt handle his players after the initial "perform or else" wears off. I liked the bloke, but football has moved on and I'm not convinced he'd be a success elsewhere- maybe with money at Leicester he'd get them promoted, but itd probably fall apart again later.

Here endeth the most boring post in online gooner forum history (and I read USMartins posts :wink: ) but you did mention Keane so its not my fault :wink:
I think this was actually a good post. :lol:

I also must say I like Roy Keane.

brazilianGOONER

Post by brazilianGOONER »

Steviegooner wrote:
brazilianGOONER wrote:a c**t of the highest order. fuck roy keane :evil:
Well said BG.....how bout some more tit pics..... :D :D :D :D
sorry mate, i can't take any more pictures of db10gooner today :lol: