Luis Suarez

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
topgoon

Post by topgoon »

DarylAFC wrote:
Revgoon89 wrote:
DarylAFC wrote:
topgoon wrote:Am I the only one who read Suarez from his own interview in Uruguay damn himself by admitting to using Negrito. :roll: :banghead:

If someone I'm arguing with calls me a little black man and pats me on the head I'll smash his f***ing face in. :evil:

Why didn't he call him a little man, a twat, a dickhead, a c**t all things that Evra is. Why bring his colour into it. :evil:

His own interview damned him...nothing else. If he's kept his trap shut, would've been he said she said but he didn't. :roll:

Anyone who thinks he only hurt someone's itty-bitty feelings should go into work/college/whatever and in the middle of an arguement with a black colleague call him my little black man and see if you keep your teeth and your job. :roll: :banghead:

The rat-faced little diver got off lightly. :evil:
But would that cause them any phyisical pain or just emotional pain? I agree genuinely racist remarks are unacceptable but all that is hurt are feelings.

Anyway, lt's look at the facts shall we? Evra isnt very tall, he is black, and he is a man. He's a little black man. Correct me if I'm wrong but apparently thats not offensive in many foreign cultures and even his own team mates were calling him it?
Come on, we all know the double-standards the FA practice. :banghead:

Still, Suarez gets what he deserves and I hope Terry gets the same.
I dont get it though, why does he "deserve" it? Terry will get away with it and United players will carry on assaulting other players (Beckham, Keane and Rooney ring any bells?) yet when someone hurts one of their golden boys' feelings, he hgets an 8 match ban? :?
Are you on a wind-up or do you honestly think it's ok to slag someone off with their colour as your main point off reference.

Who cares about United, if Wilshire or RvP did the same I would expect nothing less.

DarylAFC

Post by DarylAFC »

topgoon wrote:
DarylAFC wrote:
Revgoon89 wrote:
DarylAFC wrote:
topgoon wrote:Am I the only one who read Suarez from his own interview in Uruguay damn himself by admitting to using Negrito. :roll: :banghead:

If someone I'm arguing with calls me a little black man and pats me on the head I'll smash his f***ing face in. :evil:

Why didn't he call him a little man, a twat, a dickhead, a c**t all things that Evra is. Why bring his colour into it. :evil:

His own interview damned him...nothing else. If he's kept his trap shut, would've been he said she said but he didn't. :roll:

Anyone who thinks he only hurt someone's itty-bitty feelings should go into work/college/whatever and in the middle of an arguement with a black colleague call him my little black man and see if you keep your teeth and your job. :roll: :banghead:

But would that cause them any phyisical pain or just emotional pain? I agree genuinely racist remarks are unacceptable but all that is hurt are feelings.

Anyway, lt's look at the facts shall we? Evra isnt very tall, he is black, and he is a man. He's a little black man. Correct me if I'm wrong but apparently thats not offensive in many foreign cultures and even his own team mates were calling him it?

I dont get it though, why does he "deserve" it? Terry will get away with it and United players will carry on assaulting other players (Beckham, Keane and Rooney ring any bells?) yet when someone hurts one of their golden boys' feelings, he hgets an 8 match ban? :?
Are you on a wind-up or do you honestly think it's ok to slag someone off with their colour as your main point off reference.

Who cares about United, if Wilshire or RvP did the same I would expect nothing less.
Of course not. Racism is unnacceptable but it's not worse than being violently attacked.

Also there's no evidence. It's Evra's word against Suarez. So it's the united player's word against someone else's. Do you not see this as dodgy. How is saying something worse than risking crippling someone.

DarylAFC

Post by DarylAFC »

topgoon wrote:
DarylAFC wrote:
Revgoon89 wrote:
DarylAFC wrote:

Of course not. Racism is unnacceptable but it's not worse than being violently attacked.

Also there's no evidence. It's Evra's word against Suarez. So it's the united player's word against someone else's. Do you not see this as dodgy. How is saying something worse than risking crippling someone.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

But it's not one word against the other! Suarez has admitted he didn't know 'that' kind of language would be frowned upon in Europe. FFS!

Just as bad as Martinez at Wigan trying to excuse one of his players spitting into another players face as 'he didn't realize the culture over here'.

topgoon

Post by topgoon »

This is the interview in it's original Spanish and English:

Spanish: "Son cosas que pasan en el fútbol, cosas del momento, que a uno lo dejan mal. Ahora hay que esperar que se decida el tema y luego, tanto el jugador del Manchester como yo, vamos a tener que dejar las cosas claras. Y según para el lado que salga el fallo tendremos que pedir perdón. La Federación inglesa lo va a tener que aclarar con él, porque no hay pruebas de que yo le haya dicho algo racista. Y no se lo dije. Hubo dos partes de la discusión, una en español y otra en inglés. No lo insulté, solo fue una forma de expresarme. Lo llamé de una forma que sus propios compañeros del Manchester le dicen. Es más, ellos mismos se sorprendieron".

English: "They're things that happen in futbol, all in the moment, that leaves one feeling bad. Now we have to wait to see this issue decided and then...the Manchester player and I will have to clear things up. And depending on on who ends up in the wrong, one of us will have to apoligize. The English federation will have to clear it up with him, because there is no proof at all that I have said anything racist. I didn't say anything like that to him. There were 2 sides of our discussion. One in Spanish and one in English. I didn't insult him, it was just my way of expressing myself. I called him something that his own Manchester United players call him. Furthermore, even they were surprised at his reaction on the pitch".

Now this is Gus Poyet fellow Uruguyan telling us the exact word used which Suarez has never denied using

http://www.independent.co.uk/topic/RealZaragoza

So again not one person's word against other's but the FA's interpretation whether it has racial undertones to describe a person as a black bastard on the field of play or simply a bastard, if you can't see the difference, then we'll have to agree to disagree.

But word of advice mate if you insult a colleague or person that's black I would leave his colour out of it or you will be losing your job and or teeth.

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

DarylAFC - :lol: :lol: :lol:

keep it coming.

LDB
Location: Having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over

Post by LDB »

What are these mousers on about..
Almost everyone else sees this in the court though. Its a question of culture. FA is basically laying down a law for the country of what is being racist cutting across nuances of culture. I wonder how the courts will react to that
Moron 8)

STLgooner89

Post by STLgooner89 »

He admitted to saying "negrito" or whatever to him because it's ok to say it in Uraguay. Well, he's not in South America anymore and he hasn't been for a while. At the end of the day he tried to wind someone up and referenced their skin color in doing so. Therefore, he really has no excuse. He's a dumbass that should accept his punishment.

Barriecuda

Post by Barriecuda »

DarylAFC wrote:I can't be the only one that sides with Suarez here?

Rooney risks someone's career by kicking out at them in a blind violent rage, gets a 3 game ban but the FA feel this is unfair so they appeal and get it reduced to 2. Suarez at worst hurts a manc players' feelings and gets 8 games banned? Rooney could've crippled 4 montenegro players for that.

This just proves to me that the FA are in united's pocket.

EDIT: I bet Terry get's off with it.
Have to say this post is worth a highlight.

Regardless what he says, I think he's going to get far worse treatment than the "iconic" Terry or Rooney would ever get for a similar crime.

8-games is a little ridiculous, especially when it's so insanely hard to "prove" there was "racism".

Not to mention Evra is one of the biggest *word censored* douches in the league...

Drone

Post by Drone »

No matter how they express them selves in uruguay, there should be no tolerations in racist or national abuse. Same time there should be no tolerations or duble standards in the PL. If a foreigner gets a ban for abuse, than local players should get the same ban aswell. If they play in the same league there should not be exceptions fo no one.
I was just thinking of Eduardo saga!!! How easy Taylor got with it!!! He got of with three game ban for ending someones carriere (eduardo was never agin the player he was)
This guy gets 8 game ban for :shock:, dont get me wrong, i would ban him for longer time, but i would ban Taylor forever.

Radford149

Post by Radford149 »

radford says

1. the 8 game ban and fine is way, way, way over the top

2. this is the fa posturing and givong it large to uefa/fifa. pathetic really

3. if evra was any sort of man he would have dealt with suarez on the field of play or off the pitch instead of complaining to a french tv station. i have no respect for the man

4. it seems that language that no-one else heard (i believe) is considered worse that causing injury to fellow players

SpanishJoe

Post by SpanishJoe »

I think the whole area of racism needs debating because it appears now that if the word 'black' passes someone's lips they are automatically considered a racist.
If Suarez had referred to a player's sexual orientation, or hair colour, or weight, or family how would the FA have reacted?
It appears that Evra admitted abusing Suarez but will suffer no investigation or punishment.

So, hypothetically, if one players calls the other an ugly, ginger, fat mother-fucking gayboy who fiddles with young boys and in return gets called a black *word censored* where do the penalties fall?
Equally, if a black player calls another black player 'nigger' is that racial abuse?

I have black friends and had black work colleagues who have received disgusting abuse and discrimination at times and, as someone born and brought up in Brixton, I am very aware of racial issues but I do see a difference between 'abuse' and 'discrimination'.
I wouldn't pretend to know exactly how to categorise offence but it can't be logical that all and any abuse is tolerated provided that there is no 'racial' element or that breaking a players leg results in a 3 match ban whereas a heated confrontation with abuse being hurled back and forth gets 8 for one party and nothing for the other.

DarylAFC

Post by DarylAFC »

I don't believe Evra was really offended and I want to see evidence that isn't just one person saying he did. If there was genuine evidence, then I'll hold my hands up and say I was wrong though the ban is still harsh. I just dont trust him as far as I can throw him.

Fair enough saying he's not in South America anymore, but if he didn't know the culture here then he should have researched it before coming here, but it's not really different from when a British woman gets arrested or indecency in dubai for wearing a bikini is it? Yes they should have looked into the local laws and customs but they didnt 'mean' to offend.

Again, if it comes out that he did say something racist and meant it to be racist, then I'll admit I was wrong but until then innocent until proven guilty.

DarylAFC

Post by DarylAFC »

double post

topgoon

Post by topgoon »

Daryl and a few others on here seem insistent on ignoring Suarez own admission of referring to Evra's colour and I can't be arsed to keep arguing the toss.

He said it, He admitted he said it, they weren't mates so it was said as a bate and insult/patronising remark.

Call me fat, call me ugly but leave my colour out of it. If you can't see why that should be considered offensive then you should get a history lesson. FYI some people chose to be fat no one chooses to be black.

The ban is not excessive. If you think it is excessive then try the same remark at work and see if the boss gives you just a PAID week off work to'reflect'. :banghead: :banghead:

It's quite sad that Suarez's comments are being subtly condoned by some on here.

I went to school in Scotland in the late 70s when shit like this was being done by even teachers, sad to see that some on here think it's no big deal to make my colour their main point of reference when they insult me.

All I will say is don't do it to my face :evil: