Will RVP be considered a great when he leaves in the summer?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will RVP be considered a great when he leaves?

Yes
51%
No
49%

Total votes: 37

augie

Post by augie »

Dont fleece me for saying this but I honestly do not think that he can classed as an Arsenal great having averaged just 16 league games a season since joining us (prior to this season obviously). Fact is that he is a great player but surely would need to contribute what he has done this season over a number of seasons to be classed as an Arsenal great ?

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

There's too many what if's with RVP. Anyway what does it matter if he stays or not in becoming any Arsenal legend? Look at David O'Leary and Tony Adams, they both stayed and no one seems to like O'Leary and most on here thinks Adams is a lunatic.

Anyway, Brady is a legend and he fucked off as soon as he could, much like Cesc. Like RVP all they ever won was the FA Cup with Arsenal. David Hillier won more trophies and he's hardly talked about as an Arsenal legend?

RVP has managed to stay fit for a whole 12 months, for the first time in his Arsenal career and shown us what he is capable of. If his reaction to THAT substitution on Sunday brings about a managerial change then that will earn him legendary status IMO.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Van Persie has had a great 2011... but other than that??? :?

Clearly a very good player, but if he leaves in the summer, then all he'll have to show for his Arsenal career is an FA Cup winners medal, a fantastic 2011, and above 5 seasons of injury plagued frustration.

That's not the career of an Arsenal GREAT... in fact, the only time I'll use "great" and "Van Persie" in the same sentence, is when I'm saying what a great shame it was that his Arsenal career never really took off until he was 18 months away from leaving.

That's not a criticism of him either; he's been unlucky with injury, and now must leave a sinking ship.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

No. Deffo not. Missed too many games over too many seasons. Hasn't contributed enough. He IS a great player but blighted by injury so not an Arsenal great (yet, anyway).

If he captains us to the CL then he is an Arsenal great. But while we have a manager that thinks replacing Ox with the Lazy Russian is tactical genius we will not be seeing that CL trophy for a long time. :(

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

g88ner wrote:Van Persie has had a great 2011... but other than that??? :?

Clearly a very good player, but if he leaves in the summer, then all he'll have to show for his Arsenal career is an FA Cup winners medal, a fantastic 2011, and above 5 seasons of injury plagued frustration.

That's not the career of an Arsenal GREAT... in fact, the only time I'll use "great" and "Van Persie" in the same sentence, is when I'm saying what a great shame it was that his Arsenal career never really took off until he was 18 months away from leaving.

That's not a criticism of him either; he's been unlucky with injury, and now must leave a sinking ship.
Well summerised g88ner. My thoughts exactly. 8) :lol: :wink:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

DB10GOONER wrote: we will not be seeing that CL trophy for a long time. :(
There was something about 2006 for me which felt like a "now or never" situation. Shit or bust as they say. I don't think I'll ever see the day an Arsenal captain lifts Ol' Big Ears aloft :cry:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

rodders999 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote: we will not be seeing that CL trophy for a long time. :(
There was something about 2006 for me which felt like a "now or never" situation. Shit or bust as they say. I don't think I'll ever see the day an Arsenal captain lifts Ol' Big Ears aloft :cry:
Yeah, me too, Rodders... :( It had the makings. Bergkamp's last season, the great man retiring as a European Champion, the team we had assembled, the fact I actually had a ticket and was there. It all seemed to point to us. It still fucking haunts me. :(

The fact that Phil Neville and Bench Sheringham have CL winners medals and DB10 hasn't is a crime against humanity and nature. :evil:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

g88ner wrote:Van Persie has had a great 2011... but other than that??? :?

Spot on my northern whippet-loving friend 8)

rigsby

Post by rigsby »

To be honest its too early to asses. He may go on and score a hat trick in the European Cup Final this year (I know this wont happen) But what I'm saying is only time can give you a perspective on whether someone is an 'Arsenal Great'

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

MK Gould wrote:I may be doing him a dis-service, but I've never thought of RVP as "great". Too many spells out through injury for me. He has had a great 2011, but an Arsenal Great....? No.

^^^This^^^

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

He will be classed as a great if he signs a new contract and gives us a period of time where he plays most of the games, failing that he wont be classed as a great but more a what might have been.

If he re signs and gives us 4 years as the main man in this sort of form then he will defiantly create a legacy like Henry, Bergkamp, Wrighty etc.

worthing gooner

Post by worthing gooner »

Great!!! The word is spoken about too much.
When fit a good a player for Arsenal but needed couple of seasons like this to make that status.
Will go in the summer.

Post by 1989 »

Just equaled Dennis' goal record for us and will no doubt surpass it. Not a great? Really?

Rosie_titters

Post by Rosie_titters »

scored as many Arsenal goals as legend Dennis Bergkamp - so a legend for me - shame he got so many injuries

augie

Post by augie »

How the fcuk did he get man of the match today ?? :shock: :shock: :shock:
I know it was a game between two very shit teams but apart from 2 pens what exactly did rvp do ? :? I am the first to say that he got fcuk all service and support so aint blaming him but what type of cretins ring/text espn to make him man of the match ? :roll: :oops: :oops: