Ljunberg staying on next term

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Ben-gooner14

Ljunberg staying on next term

Post by Ben-gooner14 »

A surprise to me, but Freddie Ljunberg will not be leaving as he wants to complete a 10th year as an arsenal player. West Ham and Portsmouth have been keeping a keen eye on him and were interested in him making a move to thier club,but Ljunberg wants to stay. The games he did play last season he looked slightly tired to me and he has definetly lost some pace through age. To be honest I don't see him getting many games next season anyway because hleb and rosicky will probally be on the flanks, walcott could replace Hleb and Diaby could replace rosicky if there is not any new signings. He might end up leaving in the january transfer window if not getting many games anyway.

T.S

Post by T.S »

Ben,

Yeah, I don't see him getting many games either. Also I really don't think he's up to it any more. I don't think he's been right since his hip operation a couple of years back. He is a player that I (and my girlfriend!) will always remember fondly, but I think we've seen the best of him. Still, if he's staying, maybe he could prove to be a decent squad player. It's always good having players in the squad who actually want to play for the club!

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

Sadly Freddie is no longer the player he once was.He has lost his pace and how many games has he missed through injury over the last 3 years?Give him a free transfer and get him off the wage bill.He must be on huge wages for 12 games a season.

DanielD

Post by DanielD »

Like every Arsenal fan, i love Freddie, but i don't think he should stay. he's way past his best and his paycheck (70K\w) is too big for his contribution to the club these days.
Still, if he stays, i hope he'll come back to score at least 8-10 goals (i know i'm optimistic) this season.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I too have great memories of the Fredster but he is deffo long past his best. :(

Still, maybe we owe him a little loyalty now. He has always been loyal to us and not spent every summer undermining our team spirit by flirting with other clubs like some I could mention!! :evil:

Maybe 70K+ a week IS too much but I'd love to see Freddie get his testamonial.

I think he deserves it.

T.S

Post by T.S »

DB10GOONER wrote:I too have great memories of the Fredster but he is deffo long past his best. :(

Still, maybe we owe him a little loyalty now. He has always been loyal to us and not spent every summer undermining our team spirit by flirting with other clubs like some I could mention!! :evil:

I think he deserves it.
Yet again I agree with you (my quip on the other page was intended to be tongue in cheek!). Give that man a testimonial!

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

tonysaunders wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:I too have great memories of the Fredster but he is deffo long past his best. :(

I think he deserves it.
Yet again I agree with you (my quip on the other page was intended to be tongue in cheek!). Give that man a testimonial!
I KNOW it was TS! :wink: As was my breakback mountain gag on the same page. Just in case We_Are_ is still in a rage!! :wink:

Gunnerz4life

Post by Gunnerz4life »

Theres no question of letting him go now since i cant see us getting a world class and experienced replacement.

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

I agree Freddie has been a great servant for us but i do not agree that ANY player in this day and age should get a testimonial. Freddie is on £3 million a year plus his money from Calvin Klien. Fans are struggling to pay for season tickets why should they have to pay £40-£50 pounds to pay for a player to get even more money when they are already multi- millionaires.The great Niall Quinn got it right when he gave ALL his testimonial money to charity-What a legend

Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Who's to say Freddie won't too?

Think it's more having a game in their honour than money with some players now.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Chopper wrote:Who's to say Freddie won't too?

Think it's more having a game in their honour than money with some players now.
Yeah, I'm with Chopper on both counts. It is an honour to receive a testimonial (and rare nowdays with all the mercenary :evil: players out there).

And I'd like to think Freddie would do something substantial for chaaaaarity...

I do take your point Donaldo. It costs me a fortune to get over to games. I'm talking minimum €500 or €600 (not sure on £ Sterling conversion - maybe £350 or £400). :(

Of course this is dependant upon spending money required, presents for my missus and my 3 year old daughter and 2 year old son. Add to this neccessary expenses like flights, train connection from Standstill airport, hotel, tube, beer and food. And beer. :lol:

I'm not wealthy, :( I don't earn a huge wage :evil: and I have a wife and kids (as previously mentioned) to support.

I still hope the Millionaire Freddie Ljungberg gets his testimonial though. Kind of... :?

Hmmm... Not too sure now... :roll:

See what ya did to me, Donaldo?? :wink:

Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Maybe he'll compromise and hold it in Dublin to save on travelling for all you Irish based guys.

I'll be up for travelling over there for Freddie. Maybe Calvin Klein will fund the flights for us? If so I hope my seats next to Giselle!

Can we kip at yours DB10? Sure you won't mind her walking out the bathroom in the morning, be an education for your boy, not sure your missus would be that keen though!!

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

All are welcome at chez Gooner!

And any say that the missus might have in it went right out the window when you mentioned that Giselle would be accompanying you!

Fnar Fnar :lol: :wink: 8) :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol:

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

DB10 GOONER its true fans like you who deserve a testimonial

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

donaldo wrote:DB10 GOONER its true fans like you who deserve a testimonial
I am DEFFO open to offers on that!!!! :lol: :lol: :shock: :lol: :lol: