BOULDY THE NEW PAT RICE??

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
FrenchGun

Steve Bould: Will it work?

Post by FrenchGun »

Hearing many on here hoping that Bouldy will have an impact on the defensive coaching this season, I was wondering what was the general opinion on this matter: Do you think Arsene will let Bouldy coach the defense line really or will Bouldy be just another "yes-man"?

I'm not that confident that Arsene will give some freedom to Bould to work with the defense. What happens if Bould asks Santos for example to stay deep, while Arsene tells him in the same time to run forward?

QuartzGooner

Re: Steve Bould: Will it work?

Post by QuartzGooner »

I am not optimistic of a big change, just maybe a slight improvement.

I believe Wenger runs the show.

Bould will do what he can with the time alloted to him in morning training, but in all honesty he would need to get the players back each day for afternoon training if he was to make a massive difference.

augie

Post by augie »

Quartz is spot on - bouldie might having them working together as a unit but wenger will still tell the fcukers to bomb forward whenever they get a chance plus when you have no defensive midfielder worthy of the name then you are always going to be exposed in matches :x

Post by 1989 »

Bould is no yes man. He ain't gonna take no shit from Wenger. 8)

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Bould is another Wenger disciple, there is no way Wenger would have taken him on as his number 2 if he thought he would be challenged. No change im afraid

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

Steve Bould: Will it work?

No.

armchair

Post by armchair »

I dont think Wenger tells the players to "bomb forward".

I dont think he tells them anything much really about what to do cause hes a fcukin toolbag. :(

Post by 1989 »

armchair supporter wrote:I dont think Wenger tells the players to "bomb forward".

I dont think he tells them anything much really about what to do cause hes a fcukin toolbag. :(
Exactly. Wenger says fuck all apart from "go out there and play your football". And Bould has looked authorative judging from the pre-season training pics. He's also said that he and Banfield will have a hands-on approach to coaching the first team.

Also, Pat Rice DID coach the defence, he was just not very good at it.

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

1989 wrote:Bould is no yes man.
:lol: :lol:

BournemouthRED

Post by BournemouthRED »

It's safe to say Steve bould is not here for a free ride, he'll put a lot into this role, I just hope out dozy players listen to what he says!

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

arseofacrow wrote:
1989 wrote:Bould is no yes man.
:lol: :lol:
:lol:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

armchair supporter wrote:I dont think Wenger tells the players to "bomb forward".

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tonyb

Post by Tonyb »

If he sits on the bench and has to watch a piss poor defensive performance I cannot see him biting his Tongue, I'm sure he'll voice his opinion, 8)

Barriecuda

Post by Barriecuda »

New approaches and new attitudes, even if only in a part of training, should make a positive difference. Athletes want to be pushed and want to improve as players - even at the highest levels - and a fresh new approach should help get at least a little response.

Will Arsenal concede fewer goals this season? Absolutely.

Substantially less? Maybe not.

Tonyb

Post by Tonyb »

Maybe he can coach them a simple flick on from a corner and someone to head it in! :barscarf: