Songs at OT

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Mike1
Site Admin

Re: Songs at OT

Post by Mike1 »

In general our fans were terrific again at OT and as someone has pointed out, they deserve so much better.

However, some of the songs directed at our former player crossed the line in my opinion. I don't believe we can complain about some of the songs sung at our manager over the years if we're then going to lower ourselves to their level by singing songs making suggestions of rape and paedophilia.

We lost the moral high ground yesterday in my opinion. The quote which if often attributed to Rocky - Remember who we are and who we represent - applies to the fans just as much as the players. Perhaps more so, because we're the ones who stick around.

When I aired this view on Twitter yesterday, I quickly got told I was a "modern fan" by someone who was 19 :banghead: and it was "banter". If that's what people regard as banter thesedays then society is in a lot of trouble. Fortunately, I don't think that is the majority view, but it's amazing how loud the minority can be at times.

essexgooner123

Post by essexgooner123 »

It was brilliant to hear the non stop "we love you arsenal" at the end on the tv. However I think the chants towards van persie, who saved us from the europa league last year, and who left for understandable reasons, the desire to win trophies, (of course money played a role as well) went too far

Barriecuda

Post by Barriecuda »

northbank123 wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
storrmin571 wrote:Rio says we didn't show poor little robin the respect he showed us. The man has an opinion on everything. Shame he didn't say anything about the paedo chants from his own wanker fans
Yes the same fans that booed him during the 2003/04 pre season matches because he was dithering over a contract extension. Forget whatever this thick fucking prick says - he represents everything I hate in a modern footballer - thick as pig shit, a selective memory, a regular 'Tweeter' (code for '*word censored*') and some sort of amateur philosopher / politician with lots to say about nothing. Appalled by everything and everybody else but hardly a saint himself - the man who 'forgot' to take a drug test and let his country down. Fucking wanker
Absolutely. He's a stupid twat and unfortunately having sporting ability has given him a platform to air his moronic views. He's such a stupid prick and is the epitome of the 'modern footballer'.
Can't stand Rio, he thinks he's entitled to a comment on everything.

Great support as ever from our AMAZING away supporters. They are consistently louder than our home games, it seems like.

Without getting into it, United outclassed us and showed exactly why RVP left. There's United at the top battling for the title, there's Arsenal hoping to finish 4th so we can have the CL football that attracts top talents who we've never heard of.

DarylAFC

Post by DarylAFC »

Mike1 wrote:In general our fans were terrific again at OT and as someone has pointed out, they deserve so much better.

However, some of the songs directed at our former player crossed the line in my opinion. I don't believe we can complain about some of the songs sung at our manager over the years if we're then going to lower ourselves to their level by singing songs making suggestions of rape and paedophilia.

We lost the moral high ground yesterday in my opinion. The quote which if often attributed to Rocky - Remember who we are and who we represent - applies to the fans just as much as the players. Perhaps more so, because we're the ones who stick around.

When I aired this view on Twitter yesterday, I quickly got told I was a "modern fan" by someone who was 19 :banghead: and it was "banter". If that's what people regard as banter thesedays then society is in a lot of trouble. Fortunately, I don't think that is the majority view, but it's amazing how loud the minority can be at times.
I'm not ashamed to say I was one of many who joined in with "that" song.

To me, it's not just banter, but expressing our feeling for that prick. Last year, we loved him. He was our hero and our Talisman. Then he leaves for "footballing reasons" but he respects the fans. OK fair enough. But then e joing United? Really? In his 8 years at the club, 7 years sat on the treatment table, did he not realise that maybe Arsenal and united slightly hate each other! :banghead: By singing that to him, it shows him how little he means to us now, How little we respect him. This is how I view it anyway.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

DarylAFC wrote:
Mike1 wrote:In general our fans were terrific again at OT and as someone has pointed out, they deserve so much better.

To me, it's not just banter, but expressing our feeling for that prick. Last year, we loved him. He was our hero and our Talisman. Then he leaves for "footballing reasons" but he respects the fans. OK fair enough. But then e joing United? Really? In his 8 years at the club, 7 years sat on the treatment table, did he not realise that maybe Arsenal and united slightly hate each other! :banghead: By singing that to him, it shows him how little he means to us now, How little we respect him. This is how I view it anyway.
You can't ever complain about 'that' song to Wenger now though, its only "banter" :roll:

DarylAFC

Post by DarylAFC »

flash gunner wrote:
DarylAFC wrote:

You can't ever complain about 'that' song to Wenger now though, its only "banter" :roll:
I have to say, I've never heard it so don't really know how Id react. Thing is, we all know it's bollocks. Rather than sit around and grumble about it, just give it back. You really think the idiots who sing it genuine believe it? You really think I don't know Judas isn't a rapist?

Eithe way, I lost all respect for Robin when he left for them so I don't really care if it's unnacceptable. He treated us like shit I'll treat him like shit.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

DarylAFC wrote:I have to say, I've never heard it so don't really know how Id react. Thing is, we all know it's bollocks. Rather than sit around and grumble about it, just give it back. You really think the idiots who sing it genuine believe it? You really think I don't know Judas isn't a rapist?

Eithe way, I lost all respect for Robin when he left for them so I don't really care if it's unnacceptable. He treated us like shit I'll treat him like shit.
So because you havent heard it or knowing it isnt true that makes it ok?

I totally agree Van Judas has treated us like shit and i'd give him tonnes of stick if i were there last Saturday but there is a need to sing that? No im afraid

DarylAFC

Post by DarylAFC »

flash gunner wrote:
DarylAFC wrote:I have to say, I've never heard it so don't really know how Id react. Thing is, we all know it's bollocks. Rather than sit around and grumble about it, just give it back. You really think the idiots who sing it genuine believe it? You really think I don't know Judas isn't a rapist?

So because you havent heard it or knowing it isnt true that makes it ok?

I totally agree Van Judas has treated us like shit and i'd give him tonnes of stick if i were there last Saturday but there is a need to sing that? No im afraid
IMO calling someone a rapist or a nonce is hugely offensive (Apart from if they are rapists or nonces). Calling him a rapist to me shows how little we think of him after he betrayed us like that, With the Wenger chant it's slightly different. Did Wenger ever recieve full backing from Man Utd even when he was injured, have one good season, say he loves the fans but then leave to join one of their biggest rivals? Of course he didn't. It's just United fans being divs.

It's all my opinion and obviously others will disagree but can't deny it created a good atmosphere, especially when their fans didn't even try to stick up or him :lol:

P.S If Wenger left, even to joing Tottscum, I still wouldn't sing the peado song to him.

rigsby

Post by rigsby »

I've never had that much problem with the Wenger chant to be honest. Everyone knows he isn't so whats the issue? Same with Van Persie.

Sorry but I find a lot of people very touchy about stuff sung at games. I didn't sing the 'She Said No' song on Saturday but I don't find it offensive.

Dan_85

Post by Dan_85 »

I just think songs about rape or paedophilia are the realm of scumbag fans like stoke, birmingham, chelski or plastic mancs & I would have liked to have thought Arsenal fans were better than that, especially after some of the shit that's been directed at us, our players & manager over recent years.

If calling someone a rapist or paedophile is "banter", where do you draw the line? How about racism? Is calling a black player a "monkey" just banter? Give him shit by all means. Call him a wanker, *word censored*, traitor etc but personally I draw the line at "She said no" especially as it would imply that you were prepared to overlook these claims when he played for us.

But the songs to Gazidis, they were excellent :twisted:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Dan_85 wrote:I just think songs about rape or paedophilia are the realm of scumbag fans like stoke, birmingham, chelski or plastic mancs & I would have liked to have thought Arsenal fans were better than that, especially after some of the shit that's been directed at us, our players & manager over recent years.

If calling someone a rapist or paedophile is "banter", where do you draw the line? How about racism? Is calling a black player a "monkey" just banter? Give him shit by all means. Call him a wanker, *word censored*, traitor etc but personally I draw the line at "She said no" especially as it would imply that you were prepared to overlook these claims when he played for us.

Well said Dan

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

flash gunner wrote:
Dan_85 wrote:I just think songs about rape or paedophilia are the realm of scumbag fans like stoke, birmingham, chelski or plastic mancs & I would have liked to have thought Arsenal fans were better than that, especially after some of the shit that's been directed at us, our players & manager over recent years.

Well said Dan
+1 8)

barnetgooner

Post by barnetgooner »

Mike1 wrote:

^^^ Totally agree with this. We are now in no position to complain about the Wenger paedo chants, Ramsey/Eduardo broken leg chants, or point out what morons Spurs look like having sung the Adebayor/elephants chant before he joined them. We have no moral high ground over Birmingham, Chelski, Stoke, Man Utd, anyone

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

:rubchin: So when are the Munich 58 songs starting again? :barscarf:

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

rigsby wrote:I've never had that much problem with the Wenger chant to be honest. Everyone knows he isn't so whats the issue? Same with Van Persie.

Sorry but I find a lot of people very touchy about stuff sung at games. I didn't sing the 'She Said No' song on Saturday but I don't find it offensive.
:coffeespit:

You mean along the lines of us singing "We're by the far the greatest team, the world has ever seen.." when everyone knows it isn't true?

:lol: