Arsenal v Montpellier

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Top Londoner

Re: Arsenal v Montpellier

Post by Top Londoner »

SteveO 35 wrote:2-1 - could be a 'little bit jaded' after Saturday, but fuck me this lot are shite and already out. We can't fuck it up against them surely?

Don't want to be going to Greece needing to get a result especially as we've got two much bigger games straight afterwards against our virtual trophy rivals West Brom and a proper cup match at Bradford

Agree steve0. Everton A, Swansea H, W.Brom H around that Olympiacos game. All three PL games are crucial. If we play the way we did in the first 20 minutes yesterday then we will be lucky to get 1pt in the three games.

RocastleRock

Post by RocastleRock »

4-0, has to be.

Hopefully then send the kids for a short holiday in cash strapped greece.

SammyDroppedHisShorts
Location: In front of the best fans on earth. The Arse and all.

Post by SammyDroppedHisShorts »

We win and Schalke win then no worries for Greece we will be through

goonermarc

Post by goonermarc »

Then we'll get beat as usual in Greece with a bunch of kids, finish 2nd and get knocked out by Barcelona next round.

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

The only team olympiacos have picked up points against were montpellier.... Nothing to suggest they'll get anything in schalke especially if they play anything like they did a couple of weeks back against us. And if the Germans lose then it puts their own qualification in doubt.

Think it will all be all over on Wednesday night, with Athens as the dead rubber (again!)......

augie

Post by augie »

goonermarc wrote:Then we'll get beat as usual in Greece with a bunch of kids, finish 2nd and get knocked out by Barcelona next round.

Hard to disagree with that really - if we are to stay in this comp then obviously winning the group is the preferred choice but really I'm not sure I want us to stay in it :oops:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

augie wrote:
goonermarc wrote:Then we'll get beat as usual in Greece with a bunch of kids, finish 2nd and get knocked out by Barcelona next round.

Hard to disagree with that really - if we are to stay in this comp then obviously winning the group is the preferred choice but really I'm not sure I want us to stay in it :oops:
We won the group last year and got humped by Milan. If we win it again no doubt we'll end up with Madrid or Dortmund and we'll be out again

I don't want it mucking up our League Cup chances. Just beat Montpellier and send out a team of kids to Greece. Doesn't matter if we come 1st or 2nd - as soon as we play a team of Madrid or Dortmund's calibre we are out anyway

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

4-1 to The Arsenal. 8)

highburyJD

Post by highburyJD »

SteveO 35 wrote:2-1 - could be a 'little bit jaded' after Saturday, but fuck me this lot are shite and already out. We can't fuck it up against them surely?

Don't want to be going to Greece needing to get a result especially as we've got two much bigger games straight afterwards against our virtual trophy rivals West Brom and a proper cup match at Bradford
This season has been mostly after the lord mayors show flatness for them
and they badly miss Giroud who was a focal point but they battered us 2nd half at Mosson
I thinkBelhanda and Cabella will be at big CL clubs next season/after winter
This is a big game for their careers, they will be up for it

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

We will win and everything will be rosy in the Wenger garden

Mr Eboue

Post by Mr Eboue »

3-1 to us, Montpellier to score first.

Robin_L

Post by Robin_L »

We will lose and everything will be charred to a lifeless crisp in the Wenger garden. :(

EDIT: Shit, nobhead got in ahead of me by 2 posts again :(

Would prefer an Olympiacos result in Schalke as it gives us more of a shot at 1st place but as someone rightly pointed out, we're in trouble anyway if we get a Juventus or a Real Madrid, so claiming top spot guarantees nothing as it is. Probably best to try and wrap it up now and send the kids on their annual trip to Greece.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Robin_L wrote:We will lose and everything will be charred to a lifeless crisp in the Wenger garden. :(

EDIT: Shit, nobhead got in ahead of me by 2 posts again.
"nobhead" :shock: :lol:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

highburyJD wrote:

This season has been mostly after the lord mayors show flatness for them
and they badly miss Giroud who was a focal point but they battered us 2nd half at Mosson
I thinkBelhanda and Cabella will be at big CL clubs next season/after winter
This is a big game for their careers, they will be up for it
Agree JD they'll most certainly be gone by the end of the year. Think Montpellier have a very enigmatic chairman but remember seeing some quotes from him basically baulking at the prospect of paying somebody more than £20k/w or something like that. He seemed to thrive on their future being as a selling club. They are fucking turd really (one or two aforementioned players apart) and I expect we'll beat them quite comfortably.

Finishing 1st/2nd doesn't matter too much to me as we could well end up getting a very good team finishing 1st or a decent team finishing 2nd, and besides in a way it's quite nice to be able to play a decent team and get a hiding rather then being unceremoniously dumped out by somebody like Shakhtar or PSV. Quite fancy Madrid and loan saviour TH14 to repeat his Bernabeu heroics :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :lol:

highburyJD

Post by highburyJD »

in terms of away days I'd love
Malaga, who have won their group - lovely part of the world decent weather
PSG, might well win theirs - never seen us win in Paris but had 3 legendary trips
Celtic - midweek drinks in Glesga, your weekend starts here

want to avoid
Porto been there done that. The sherry museum doesn't need a 3rd visit (Braga could go through too)
Barca, sick of being Messi-lated
Zenit/Shaktar too far and expensive...

was going to say whoever comes 2nd in ManUre's group of budge is best avoided for dullness
but Istanbul can be quite lively