Tottenham fans injured in Rome/Lyon

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
MK Gould

Tottenham fans injured in Rome/Lyon

Post by MK Gould »

Putting the fact that this was an attack on Spuds to one side, this doesn't stop the fact that Lazio fans are scum. What gets me is that we were crucified in Europe for the bad behaviour of fans. And yet if you are Italian, Serb, Turkish it just seems to be accepted......

A Tottenham Hotspur supporter has been seriously injured, and nine others hurt in clashes with rival fans in Rome.

Spurs are due to play Lazio in the Italian capital later in a Europa League match, and hundreds of their fans are in the city.

The Gazzetta dello Sport newspaper reported the Spurs fan was seriously injured in a bar brawl.

He is understood to have suffered a serious injury to an artery after being stabbed.

Nine of the injured fans are believed to be British and the 10th is American.

The BBC's Rome correspondent, Alan Johnston, reported that police say 30 people - armed with iron bars and with their faces covered - approached the bar where the English fans were drinking in the early hours of Thursday and fighting broke out.

Our correspondent said the bar was wrecked and five people were arrested.

All of them were Italians who the police believe to be Lazio fans.

SteveO 35

Re: Tottenham fans injured in clashes in Rome

Post by SteveO 35 »

MK Gould wrote:Putting the fact that this was an attack on Spuds to one side, this doesn't stop the fact that Lazio fans are scum. What gets me is that we were crucified in Europe for the bad behaviour of fans. And yet if you are Italian, Serb, Turkish it just seems to be accepted......
Gets on my tits too. Amazing to think that ALL English clubs were banned from European competition based on a few different incidents and yet when we get drawn to play either of the Rome based teams we receive travel advice on which areas of the city to avoid for fear of getting ambushed by the Ultras.

No doubt these are 'cultural differences' that we are supposed to just tolerate :D

Never want to go back to Italy to watch football again - treated like shit by the police, set up to shot at by the locals. Yet they get away with it year after year.

Herd made some comments about Galatasaray and I am in no position to know who was behind that - all I do know is that away supporters are subjected to unprovoked attacks and there's a long history of violence including the Leeds incident.....and still no bans?

SouthCoastArsenal

Post by SouthCoastArsenal »

30 onto 10

Sounds like the numbers Spurs usually like

Hope the fella seriously injured is ok, we don't want another Leeds Galatasary.

But if a load of Spurs take a hiding........

SouthCoastArsenal

Post by SouthCoastArsenal »

"Amazing to think that ALL English clubs were banned from European competition based on a few different incidents"

Erm, I think alot of dead Italians contributed to that

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

SouthCoastArsenal wrote:30 onto 10

Sounds like the numbers Spurs usually like

Hope the fella seriously injured is ok, we don't want another Leeds Galatasary.

But if a load of Spurs take a hiding........
As I say, "putting the fact that this was an attack on Spuds to one side....". One of my best mates from school will be there for this. Think he will have been too streetwise to have been in this bar, hopefully.

I don't want to tar all the Italians with the same brush - Milan was a brilliant trip when I was there for the 2-0 - but Rome especially sounds like a nightmare!

JMascis666

Post by JMascis666 »

Where was the much fabled Totteringham superfirm?

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

SouthCoastArsenal wrote:"Amazing to think that ALL English clubs were banned from European competition based on a few different incidents"

So you're referring to Heysel - why should that have translated into a ban for ALL English clubs. WTF did Arsenal have to do with that incident and why should we have been banned from playing in the 1990 European Cup after winning the League at Anfield. That was all down to our lovely victim friends from Anfield who should have received a club ban for a very long time, along with Galatasaray and Lazio

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

SouthCoastArsenal wrote:"Amazing to think that ALL English clubs were banned from European competition based on a few different incidents"

Methinks that the ground has to take as much if not more blame than Liverpool for this..... Any gooner who was there in 1980 for the CWC Final against Valencia will recall Arsenal fans ripping down fences to get at the (few) Spanish fans who had made the trip. My memory is of lumps of concrete lying at your feet. How it was ever still considered for a European Cup final just a few years later I will never know. But that is how it/we were at that time - and we did take the consequences.

It seems like our mistake was exporting our trouble. Do it on your own doorstep and it seems to be ok....

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Same clubs all the time. I was going to post on the other thread where Herd complained about Galatasaray fans and never supporting them pointing out the numerous problems English fans have encountered in Italy and also Spain in the last decade or so, if we didn't want any club with scummy fans to beat our enemy then we'd end up supporting them in Europe more often than not.

Obviously Heysel was shocking but as SteveO said UEFA saw fit to ban all English clubs for several years which was ridiculously disproportionate in the light of the subsequent treatment of foreign clubs. Again and again whenever English teams play in Italy mobs of thugs go around attacking small groups of fans: often innocent bystanders, usually with knives and quite often involving stabbing in the back and other equally cowardly acts. It seems to happen nearly even time an English team is drawn in Italy, particularly in Rome, and add to this the incidents like a Roma CL match being abandoned for violence against the referee and it stacks up. Can't remember England playing out there really since '98 but when Wales played there in 2003/4 it was the same: animal behaviour inside the ground and chasing and battering small pockets of innocent fans. Those are only the reports from when they play British teams, wonder what it's like the rest of the time? Other than the high-profile stories about fans being killed.

But of course UEFA won't see fit to take drastic action against all Italian clubs. Or even Lazio. Or probably even pass comment. Imagine what it would be like if it was English fans ritually attacking foreign fans that travelled to watch their team play? Those twats would be up in arms. That *word censored* Platini is more interested in calling Chelsea and United 'cheats' for spending money to reach the CL final than Italian matchfixing or consistent cowardly violence. Just like he was happy to earn huge sums and glory in Italy but now seems to think everybody should be playing in their country of origin. I wonder if a huge bomb blew UEFA HQ up in the sky if anybody would actually miss any of those grey wankers?

Reg Niseth

Post by Reg Niseth »

and they only went to see the Pope

M-50

Post by M-50 »

Sounds like one of em is in a bad way "critically injured"

Rivalry to one side, no one should travel away to a game this day in age to support their team and not get home - hope he recovers

Old Rosie

Post by Old Rosie »

Shame!

Hope it's not the one that clumped me Saturday night at the train station and then run like fuck with his mate!

That would be terrible!

:dancingbanana:

franksav63
Location: Home - Whitechapel - Arsenal Block 6 - Twitter - @franksav63

Post by franksav63 »

Hmmm... these the same fans that beat up Arsenal women and children when we visit the swamp... fuck 'em... scum.!

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

I love the way the BBC try to turn it into something it's not:
Lazio's "Ultra" hooligans have in the past been linked with fascism, while Tottenham have traditionally drawn support from the Jewish community.

Given that Liverpool, Man Utd and Middlesbrough have all had similar problems in Rome then I think the beeb are a little wide of the mark.....

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

franksav63 wrote:Hmmm... these the same fans that beat up Arsenal women and children when we visit the swamp... fuck 'em... scum.!
If it is indeed the same bunch that go around doing that shit then I would agree

However, it could be that a bunch of innocent fans just enjoying a drink have been randomly singled out by the Ultras again. I'm not sure that's something to celebrate