Arsene Wenger - What Stage Are You At?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

What Stage Are You At?

1. He's the best manager around, look at what he's achieved, he's got a job for life.
7%
2. We may have slipped a bit but he's still doing a good job with the resources he's got, he'll turn it round in time.
3%
3. We're not doing well enough but given what he's done for the club and the circumstances I'm willing to give him another year.
7%
4. I've still got respect for the man for what he's done but it's time he went quietly.
30%
5. He needs to go at all costs, he's an embarrassment, ruining the legacy he worked so hard to create and more importantly poisoning the club.
53%

Total votes: 30

armchair

Re: What Stage Are You At?

Post by armchair »

I Hate Hleb wrote:
MM99 wrote:...In my opinion, Wenger is still a good manager. I've outlined some of his flaws in my previous post and that was by no means an exhaustive list. Not a fan of quoting stats but considering that he's managed 921 Arsenal games he's got a 57% win rate, and Ferguson has got a 58% win rate, that's a pretty decent percentage. However, I do realise that Ferguson has managed a lot more games for Utd than Wenger's 921, and in my opinion Ferguson is by far a better manager than Wenger, that goes without saying, but I don't think that people can accuse Wenger of being a bad manager. I think at times people's anger at Wenger prevents them from taking a step back and looking at things objectively and seeing that he's not actually as bad as some people like to make out.....
Wonder what his 'Win Percentage' has been since 2005? :rubchin: :rubchin:
Comparing win percentages? - ffs. I prefer to compare trophys. Actual ones. :rubchin:

augie

Post by augie »

MM99 wrote:

A question for you in return mate. Do you think if tomorrow Kroenke had a change of heart and turned round to Wenger and said "I am willing to spend £1bn into this club. Money is not an issue. We will pay whatever wages or transfer fees are required for the players we need. No questions asked." Do you think that he will still continue to buy the likes of Chamack? Or do you think, knowing that he can match any other offer from the likes of City, Chelsea, Barca, Utd and offer any money he wants; that he will shift in the type of players he goes after?

**I do not condone the idea of being content with simply finishing in the top 4 and this should not be the sole barometer of success.

To answer your question, no I dont think that he would continue signing the likes of chamakh..........but I do believe that he will continue buying the gervinho's of this world :cry: If you are asking me what the difference is then I will say that wenger bought chamakh when he was on a freebie and made it clear that he wasnt worth what bordeaux wanted the previous jan so for me that was an economic's based decision - gervinho however was bought for what would be classed as big money in wengerworld and was bought because wenger rated him ( :roll: ) rather than him being cheap. I honestly believe that wenger would not buy a player for over 20-25m even if he could - it is my belief that (a) he doesnt like the pressure that comes with big signings (b) he doesnt like buying from the top shelf cos he wants players that he can mould his way and signing the finished articles wouldnt tie in with that. I believe that if our owners came together and agreed a financial package to buy the portugese ladyboy from madrid and pay his wages and offered him to wenger as a signing, wenger would decline their offer so the unlimited financial situation wouldnt make a huge differece to wenger imo

You dispute my suggestion that wenger cannot motivate his players so why do we continually struggle against the likes of norwich, qpr, wigan, wolves, blackburn and more recently villa ? Any team can get caught on an off day and get turned over by a minnow but it happens far far too often with our team for it to be classed as a freak result :evil: In an ideal world players motivate themselves and each other for all games but when that doesnt happen then the onus is on the manager to get in there and shake up the players but clearly that hasnt happened so why not ? Is he bollocking them and they are ignoring him ? Major alarm bells ringing if that is the case :blah:

It is often said that a team generally takes on the personna of their manager so is that accurate here ? Does the managers arrogance transmit to the team who then feel that they dont have to work hard for the result ? Does taking the responsibility of winning a proper trophy (not the illusionary one :wink: ) away from the players take away the hunger necessary to win one ? Does constantly talking about the unfair financial circumstances in todays football world, transfer itself to the players who in turn believe that they cannot compete then ?

QuartzGooner

Re: Arsene Wenger - What Stage Are You At?

Post by QuartzGooner »

[This thread was merged with the Arsene Wenger sticky thread, but is now re instated.
Unfortunately the poll results got wiped, so please re-vote].

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

Voted 5 again

DB10_TH14

Post by DB10_TH14 »

i'll be in the minority of 3 again :rubchin:

MM99

Post by MM99 »

armchair supporter wrote: Comparing win percentages? - ffs. I prefer to compare trophys. Actual ones. :rubchin:
The point is to show that you simply can't win that many games without being a good manager. I prefer to use logic when making my arguments.
augie wrote:To answer your question, no I dont think that he would continue signing the likes of chamakh..........but I do believe that he will continue buying the gervinho's of this world :cry: If you are asking me what the difference is then I will say that wenger bought chamakh when he was on a freebie and made it clear that he wasnt worth what bordeaux wanted the previous jan so for me that was an economic's based decision - gervinho however was bought for what would be classed as big money in wengerworld and was bought because wenger rated him ( :roll: ) rather than him being cheap.
Hmm, so you reckon if Kroenke and Gazidis had given Wenger carte blanche then he wouldn't have spent more than the £10.7m on signing Gervinho? That if he was told he could bid any amount of money, like £30m for a single player, that he wouldn't have ensured the likes of Alonso and Mata signed for us and would not have missed out on them over a few million? I find that hard to belive mate. Everything that the club does points to financial prudence, whether it's the prolonged negotiation over transfer fees, being outbid by the likes of Utd, City and Chelsea, the wage structure, transfer budgets having to take into account both fees and wages etc.. and it shows that ultimately all decisions at the club are down to that fact. So in a situation where the owner or someone like Usmanov said that they were willing to spend whatever was required, I think there is no way in hell we would continue to carry on the same way. We would be able to offer the same wages as the others (£200k+), not be outbid by our rivals, and it would literally allow us access to a whole different class of players. Imagine if Kroenke and the board had the same mentality that the Arabs and Abramovich had and ensured they only bought top class players. In that situation, we would not have missed out on so many players as we could easily have offered more money!
(b) he doesnt like buying from the top shelf cos he wants players that he can mould his way and signing the finished articles wouldnt tie in with that. I believe that if our owners came together and agreed a financial package to buy the portugese ladyboy from madrid and pay his wages and offered him to wenger as a signing, wenger would decline their offer so the unlimited financial situation wouldnt make a huge differece to wenger imo
If he only wants players that he can mould then why has he shifted to buying older players like Arshavin, Arteta and Podolski? These are all players that you could class as being 'finished articles' in that their player-style development has stopped. Also there are plenty of expensive young quality players that he could buy and still mould (Hazard) so that line of argument doesn't hold. With regards to the Ronaldo situation I find it hard to believe that if you offered Ronaldo or Messi, free of any strings attached, to any manager in the world, that they wouldn't bite your hand off. I am genuinely interested in knowing why you would think Wenger would turn down the possibility of having Ronaldo play for him, assuming like you said that all the financial concerns were ok.
You dispute my suggestion that wenger cannot motivate his players so why do we continually struggle against the likes of norwich, qpr, wigan, wolves, blackburn and more recently villa ? Any team can get caught on an off day and get turned over by a minnow but it happens far far too often with our team for it to be classed as a freak result :evil: In an ideal world players motivate themselves and each other for all games but when that doesnt happen then the onus is on the manager to get in there and shake up the players but clearly that hasnt happened so why not ? Is he bollocking them and they are ignoring him ? Major alarm bells ringing if that is the case :blah:
There has been plenty of examples of our rivals also struggling against the very same teams you listed above. Indeed, there's been enough examples to choose from this season alone. I'll take Utd as an example. They've found themselves trailing in games on so many ocassions already, does this mean Ferguson can't motivate his players after the first couple of times to buck up their ideas and stop conceding so easily? Why hasn't he motivated his team after the first few times to be tighter? Why hasn't he motivated them to not be so complacent against smaller teams?
Motivation isn't the issue here. The difference is that when Utd find themselves behind or in a sticky situation they can bring on Rooney or V** P***** or Hernandez or Welbeck or Young or Nani or Giggs. When we go behind we have a choice from Ramsey, Gervinho, Giroud, Walcott or young players who aren't quite good enough (Ox, Gnabry).
That inevitibly means Utd are more likely to turn round games when they can bring on players of that quality. Same with City. Oh, Aguero and Balotelli not working today? That's fine, i'll just throw on Tevez and Dzeko. Maybe even Kolarov to add even more to the attack. Our out and out strikers are Giroud and Chamack. So it's not hard to see why when City and Utd are struggling they can somehow find a way back in compared to us who end up losing or drawing in the sam situation.

mikeyb772001
Location: Block 6! Drunk and standing next to a mad man with no clothes on!

Post by mikeyb772001 »

Sick of hearing these fucking pathetic quotes from deluded halfwits that apologise for the old fraud wenker

Who would replace him? Are you fucking mad? I would take most managers right now. Even Moyes, O’Neil , Pardew would do a better fucking job. But at a push we could have klopp or even Pep

“he does it on a shoe string budget” Ok wankers im sure he has done! Fucking clowns. He gets us 3rd or 4th on a whopping 140 mil a year salary budget. 40-60% less than the scum who finished 1 point behind us!!!!!!

I ask you this, what would Moyes do with a salary budget of 140mil a year, Or pardew , or O Neil , or several others in the prem! Or what about Klopp who has vastly lower salary budget!!!!!!!

Wenger has a 7.5 year salary , a 140mil wage budget, transfer money ready available to spend on new players!!!!!!

You give all that too most managers and they would finish fucking 4th!!!! Especially at arsenal!

I’m not saying I want said managers to take over, just pointing out all would do a better job. They would drop the shite players, sell or release the dross. Play players in right positions, sort out the defence and actual train the defence and keeper. Change tactics, get the best out of players, not rewarding mediocrity, DELEGATING!!!!! FUCKING DELEGATING!!!!!!! THAT WENKER REFUSES TO DO BECVUASE HE IS APOWER STARVED CRETIN OF A FUCKING MAN

Said managers would do the same job and probably better. However a proven manager like Klopp would make us great again and wenker would be remembered as a decrepit old goat that done a Brian clough impression

SO FUCK OFF WITH THE WHO WOULD REPLACE HIM AND HE DOES IT ON SHOE STRING BUDGET!!!!

armchair

Post by armchair »

MM99 wrote:
armchair supporter wrote: Comparing win percentages? - ffs. I prefer to compare trophys. Actual ones. :rubchin:
The point is to show that you simply can't win that many games without being a good manager. I prefer to use logic when making my arguments.
Its not logic - its just stats mate. By your "logic" then you'd reckon Kenny Dalglish or AVB are better then cause their "win percentage" is better than Wengers.

"Lies, damned lies and statistics"

Whats logical about playing a slow, labouring Rambo as a winger?
Or continuing for years with Almunia as no. 1 keeper, then giving him the armband?
Or persisting year after year with injury prone players and extending their contracts?
Or being so stubborn and predictable to keep playing the same formation no-matter the opposition, home or away?
Or being so naive and predictable as to keep making the same subs at the same time week in week out?
Or refusing to study the opposition?
Or refusing to coach the team defence?
Or when asked what he'd do with £50 million reply "Give it back"
Or insult the very supporters who once loved him and chanted his name every week?
Or going to Manure and trying to outplay them with half a team out resulting in 8 - 2?

Theres nothing logical about Wenger right now if there was any logic he'd have found a shred of decency and resigned

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Jesus, I'd argue that Moyes has earned a crack even if he wouldn't personally be my choice. But Pardew and O'Neill? I know you think anybody's better than Wenger but why even mention those two names?

mikeyb772001

Post by mikeyb772001 »

northbank123 wrote:Jesus, I'd argue that Moyes has earned a crack even if he wouldn't personally be my choice. But Pardew and O'Neill? I know you think anybody's better than Wenger but why even mention those two names?

your not getting the point! If Pardew or O neil had a budget of 140mil , transfer funds of 70mil , a huge stadium , the ability to attract better names and the squad as it is now

Would they get 4th spot. Of course they fucking would. Im not saying i want them. Just saying they would do just a good a job.

wenger does fuck all, the team do it all. He dont motivate, he dont coach them properly , he doesnt change tactics, he plays out of form players

armchair

Post by armchair »

mikeyb772001 wrote:
northbank123 wrote:Jesus, I'd argue that Moyes has earned a crack even if he wouldn't personally be my choice. But Pardew and O'Neill? I know you think anybody's better than Wenger but why even mention those two names?

your not getting the point! If Pardew or O neil had a budget of 140mil , transfer funds of 70mil , a huge stadium , the ability to attract better names and the squad as it is now

Would they get 4th spot. Of course they fucking would. Im not saying i want them. Just saying they would do just a good a job.

wenger does fuck all, the team do it all. He dont motivate, he dont coach them properly , he doesnt change tactics, he plays out of form players
I'd say either one of Pardew or o'Neill would've made a better fist of delivering an actual trophy than Wenger. I reckon their focus would have been on actual silverware rather than trying to win nothing except all that wonerful praise for finishing in a losing 4th place for 100 years.

mikeyb772001

Post by mikeyb772001 »

armchair supporter wrote:
mikeyb772001 wrote:

I'd say either one of Pardew or o'Neill would've made a better fist of delivering an actual trophy than Wenger. I reckon their focus would have been on actual silverware rather than trying to win nothing except all that wonerful praise for finishing in a losing 4th place for 100 years.

even if top4 was the only goal. With a wage bill of 140mil and a transfer kitty of 70mil they would do it easy. Wenger is no god for what he does.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

mikeyb772001 wrote:Sick of hearing these fucking pathetic quotes from deluded halfwits that apologise for the old fraud wenker

Who would replace him? Are you fucking mad? I would take most managers right now. Even Moyes, O’Neil , Pardew would do a better fucking job. But at a push we could have klopp or even Pep

“he does it on a shoe string budget” Ok wankers im sure he has done! Fucking clowns. He gets us 3rd or 4th on a whopping 140 mil a year salary budget. 40-60% less than the scum who finished 1 point behind us!!!!!!

I ask you this, what would Moyes do with a salary budget of 140mil a year, Or pardew , or O Neil , or several others in the prem! Or what about Klopp who has vastly lower salary budget!!!!!!!

Wenger has a 7.5 year salary , a 140mil wage budget, transfer money ready available to spend on new players!!!!!!

You give all that too most managers and they would finish fucking 4th!!!! Especially at arsenal!

I’m not saying I want said managers to take over, just pointing out all would do a better job. They would drop the shite players, sell or release the dross. Play players in right positions, sort out the defence and actual train the defence and keeper. Change tactics, get the best out of players, not rewarding mediocrity, DELEGATING!!!!! FUCKING DELEGATING!!!!!!! THAT WENKER REFUSES TO DO BECVUASE HE IS APOWER STARVED CRETIN OF A FUCKING MAN

Said managers would do the same job and probably better. However a proven manager like Klopp would make us great again and wenker would be remembered as a decrepit old goat that done a Brian clough impression

SO FUCK OFF WITH THE WHO WOULD REPLACE HIM AND HE DOES IT ON SHOE STRING BUDGET!!!!
Don't bottle it up, mate - what are you trying to say? :lol: :wink: :wink:

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

mikeyb772001 wrote:Sick of hearing these fucking pathetic quotes from deluded halfwits that apologise for the old fraud wenker

Other posters get banned for less insults tbf, no wonder this forum only ever has one viewpoint :roll:

Why not try reasoned debating :wink:

We all know supporters are on the edge at the moment but just because you throw insults around and discount others views doesn't make you right.

Plus suggesting o'neill and pardew as replacements surely implies madness :? :lol:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:

Other posters get banned for less insults tbf, no wonder this forum only ever has one viewpoint :roll:

Why not try reasoned debating :wink:

We all know supporters are on the edge at the moment but just because you throw insults around and discount others views doesn't make you right.

Plus suggesting o'neill and pardew as replacements surely implies madness :? :lol:
I do agree stop the abuse Mikey we're all fucked off with things

and really Pardew and O'neill :banghead: