How would an openly gay player be treated today?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Barry Bastard

Re: How would an openly gay player be treated today?

Post by Barry Bastard »

I would weclome any one of them with open arse. :lol:

SWLGooner
Location: Islington Town Hall, applauding the fourth place trophy.

Post by SWLGooner »

If they were a c*nt I can't say I'd shy away from abusing them for their sexuality.

But if they weren't then fair enough, doesn't bother me what they choose to do in their private lives. I'd not have a problem with a gay Arsenal player, at all. He'd probably become a 'cult hero' among certain moderators. :rubchin:

DarylAFC

Post by DarylAFC »

Not going to lie, if he played for sp*ds, the mancs or chavs then I'd abuse him so much he'd think I was his pervy uncle. I'm not homophobic in any way at all, I really don't care.

Just like with Judas van pursestrings, I call that c**t every name under the sun about the rape deal. I dont think he's a rapist, a "dutch jimmy saville" or any of that shit, but I hate him that much I happily call him it.

Hamed

Post by Hamed »

Chippy wrote:American player and gooner Robbie Rogers has just come out but retired at 25 because he feels it would be impossible to be openly gay in the modern game.

I'd like to hope that he is wrong but then think of the Ashley chants. I'm old enough to remember how racist things used to be, and while it's not perfect it's infinitely better now. Perhaps it needs a few like him to weather the storm.

I'm sure this will lead to some dodgy jokes, but please keep homophobia out of your replies.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013 ... ng-out-gay
There's word that an active NFL player will come out of the closet in the coming months; he intends to continue playing after he makes his announcement. It would be interesting to see how that situation will unfold; will teams accept the media attention of having an openly gay player in their squad, and how will players react to him in the locker room. I'd like to think both won't be an issue.

My concern is with the potential abuse a gay player will get from moronic homophobes (and there's still plenty of them out there) when playing away. When you consider that certain portions of the Arsenal support chanted an unsavory chant directed at RVP, a gay-bashing chant is entirely possible.

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

Honestly though. A blokes sexuality has as much to do with footy as his naming of his new puppy, or why he chose the type of motor he drives.
Who gives a monkeys, actually.

:?

Hamed

Post by Hamed »

Top Londoner wrote:Honestly though. A blokes sexuality has as much to do with footy as his naming of his new puppy, or why he chose the type of motor he drives.

Amen! If only everyone shared your view.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Top Londoner wrote:Honestly though. A blokes sexuality has as much to do with footy as his naming of his new puppy, or why he chose the type of motor he drives.

or the colour of his skin...

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

clockender1 wrote:

or the colour of his skin...

Well, yes.
Unfortunately racism will remain forever in our society. It is just more surrepticious than ever before. Racism will NEVER be eradicated from football because it is inherent in the British culture.
It's a shame, but it's true. Ask any black mate of yours, they will tell you that it still exists, but it's just hidden now.
Black men are seen as more of a threat than gay men. FACT.
You can't tell that a bloke is gay just by the way he looks, but a black man, well.......

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

It's the media that always sensationalise these subjects & create a frenzy to sell newspapers, therefore winding the public up in the process, then some idiot starts giving abuse & others join in. All adding to the fire & the media goes totally over the top fanning the flames continually. Keeping the subject in public view & lining their pockets in the process. :banghead:

Add to this greedy car crash lawyers & those working in the taxpayer funded PC industry all on the gravy train!!

The Cork Hurling team goalkeeper Donal Og Cusack who regularly plays in front of large crowds over in Ireland came out & said he was gay a few years back, the Gay welsh rugby lad did a BBC TV & 5Live radio program on Cusack last year.

Yet the media in Ireland just wrote a few non sensationalist articles on the subject & the crowds at games just behaved themselves as usual. A few younger opposition fans did give him some abuse from behind the goal at one match but were brought back into line by older more sensible supporters.

Most people don't give a shite & just want to see a game of football, but there is no way the media will allow any gay footballer to come out without those barstards hyping it all up to sell their rag newspapers. :twisted:

Pity the tossers in the media don't cause such a fuss over the vile chants directed at our manager, maybe they don't think they can sell more papers by hyping up sensationalist headlines regarding that issue!!!! :banghead:

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

The thing is, Where would a gay footballer play?

Would he prefer to play 'in the hole'? 8)

Or maybe the 'cock in the box'? :shock:

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

Like many, the favourite group in my youth was Queen. I didn't realise that Freddie Mercury was gay until after he died. Did make a blind bit of difference though to how he and they were revered.

And things have moved on a pace since then. I honestly don't think an openly gay footballer would be treated badly. I actually think it would be much more difficult for a footballer who resembled a chimp, or one who was ginger.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Robbie Fowler would bend over backwards to make them feel welcome I'm sure

Chippy

Post by Chippy »

SteveO 35 wrote:Robbie Fowler would bend over backwards to make them feel welcome I'm sure
Lot of research shows that the most homophobic are trying to cover things up. :twisted:

Herd

Post by Herd »

I don't think you can "treat" someone who is gay ,they are born that way !

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Herd wrote:I don't think you can "treat" someone who is gay ,they are born that way !
:lol: