Abou Diaby - Injuries Thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Chippy

Re: Abou Diaby - injuries

Post by Chippy »

g88ner wrote:A lot of people seem to be suggesting we pay him off and get rid as if it's a normal thing to do, yet I'm not sure I'm aware of a young player (with no intentions of retiring) being paid off by a club for being injured. Is there a precedent for this?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013 ... ester-city

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Chippy wrote:
g88ner wrote:A lot of people seem to be suggesting we pay him off and get rid as if it's a normal thing to do, yet I'm not sure I'm aware of a young player (with no intentions of retiring) being paid off by a club for being injured. Is there a precedent for this?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013 ... ester-city
Fair enough, but Johnson was paid off because Citeh were desperate to get such a car crash of a personality far away from the club because he was a bad influence, fat, caught drink driving on numerous occasions (even crashing his car under the influence of alcohol), had a bad attitude and all round unprofessional behaviour.

I'm not against the idea of the club paying up Diaby's contract and waving goodbye, but it just doesn't seem realistic considering he's not a wild character like Johnson and doesn't appear to be a bad influence around the club.

I'm sure if Diaby behaved like Johnson, the club would act in a very different way towards him but as he appears to be a decent character tormented by endless injuries that come as a result of having his ankle snapped playing for The Arsenal, I can see the logic of Arsenal honoring his contract and helping him as much as they can even if his future lies away from the club.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

augie wrote:
northbank123 wrote:
If he doesn't want to there's nothing the club can do really. And if he's not willing to accept a mutual termination (for a reduced fee) tbh there's no benefit to the club of paying him off early.

I disagree - for starters it would finally draw a line under the guy's Arsenal career and we can move on without this bullshit theory that he will return to be a key player in the future :roll: It would, in theory at least, finally push the manager into getting in a replacement for that crucial DM position 8) It really pisses me off that wenker constantly changes the line up to include this c**t every single time that he return from his latest long term injury - firstly it creates upheaval to our midfield when we need stability but secondly he isnt that good anyway :roll:
Mate I wouldn't care if he left today because he offers nothing to the club imo other than constant disappointment, but I'm saying that the club would take the view if they have to pay him they may as well get 1 or 2 good performances a season out of him in between injuries. And considering our obsession with cash in the bank etc I doubt that they would rather pay out a potentially £5m+ lump sum.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

TeeCee wrote:What's the betting that it will be one of Wenger's last wishes at the club that Diaby is given a new contract? Make no mistake, if Wenger is still here when Diaby gets 'fit', then he will reward him. Wenger will also not sign a replacement for 9 months as he won't want to 'kill' Diaby.
It's just another piece of incredibly bad management that both Diaby and Rosicky are still at the club. Rosicky was constantly Injured for the last two seasons at Dortmund before coming here and STILL he gets contract extensions???
This is just another reason why nothing will change under Wenger, everything is down to him, a truly apalling manager over the last 6 years.

Agree TeeCee

Both Rosicky and Diaby should have been put on pay as you play contracts (if anything) given their prior injury history and lack of contribution to our matches over the last few years. It has been foolhardy in the extreme to be expecting them to play anything but minor roles in our season.

By releasing the pair, we could have got in a dependable, reliable, experienced midfield player and the wages saved on the two crocks would have meant it could have been a top, top, quality player.

But what do we know eh, not having worked in football for 30 years.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

yup, it happens all the time - Dean Ashton (26), Fabrice Muamba (25), Marco Van Basten (27) to name just a few...

all the clubs in the top divisions insure all their players for exactly that.

topgoon

Post by topgoon »

Not a huge Diaby fan, to be honest I think he's too hit and miss, with very few hits.

But I wouldn't wish his injury luck on anyone.
His career is more or less over.

He's not a 'roasting'girls in Grosvenor house type of player, so he's quite clearly not a c**t, as a footballer he can be a bit braindead,like the Newcastle 4-4 debacle but he is one seriously unlucky bloke.

I hope he can revive his career someplace else and get relatively injury free but for us, he should be paid the rest of his money and quietly released.

I do take my hat off to him for kicking that wife stealing son of a drug-dealer and shoplifter in the head :twisted:

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

He's not a 'roasting'girls in Grosvenor house type of player,

Just as well, he'd only strain his ballbag doing it!! 8)

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

clockender1 wrote:

yup, it happens all the time - Dean Ashton (26), Fabrice Muamba (25), Marco Van Basten (27) to name just a few...

all the clubs in the top divisions insure all their players for exactly that.
That's not the same - they all retired!! - Diaby hasn't!

littlefire

Post by littlefire »

Adieu. Bon Chance.

markyp

Post by markyp »

says today hes gonna be out for 9 months,wtf!!!! still at least when he's back he will be like a new signing.diaby really is made of glass :banghead:

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

markyp wrote:says today hes gonna be out for 9 months,wtf!!!! still at least when he's back he will be like a new signing.diaby really is made of glass :banghead:

9 months is standard for that type of injury by the time his rehab is comolete, match fitness, etc, etc, wouldn't be a suprise if the whole of next season is a write off (bearing in mind his fragile body)

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

markyp wrote:says today hes gonna be out for 9 months,wtf!!!! still at least when he's back he will be like a new signing.diaby really is made of glass :banghead:

9 months is standard for that type of injury by the time his rehab is comolete, match fitness, etc, etc, wouldn't be a suprise if the whole of next season is a write off (bearing in mind his fragile body)

MegaGooner

Post by MegaGooner »

topgoon wrote: I do take my hat off to him for kicking that wife stealing son of a drug-dealer and shoplifter in the head :twisted:
One of his best moments in an Arsenal shirt..........I'll fondly remember it for the rest of my life. :barscarf:

markyp

Post by markyp »

MegaGooner wrote:
topgoon wrote: I do take my hat off to him for kicking that wife stealing son of a drug-dealer and shoplifter in the head :twisted:
One of his best moments in an Arsenal shirt..........I'll fondly remember it for the rest of my life. :barscarf:

thing is that pic some us up,there is no way you would see any of our current crop sticking there head in there like terry,hence why chavski have won shed loads and we've won fark all.still nice to see diaby taking Terrys head off tho :D

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

markyp wrote:...
thing is that pic some us up,there is no way you would see any of our current crop sticking there head in there like terry,hence why chavski have won shed loads and we've won fark all...
Ain't that the truth!! :oops: :banghead: :banghead: :cry: :cry: