Do you want Luis Suarez?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Do you want Arsenal to buy Luis Suarez and if yes, for how much?

Yes - £30m max
5%
Yes - £40m max
22%
Yes - £50m max
24%
Yes - £60m max
12%
No - why?
37%

Total votes: 103

Herd

Re: Do you want Luis Suarez?

Post by Herd »

Leyton Gooner wrote:NO! It would "kill" Postie's A No Go before he's even begun
Postie's training at Mt Pleasant has gone very well but he's a little worried that they might give him Barnsbury or Packington as a delivery route !

highburyJD

Post by highburyJD »

Barnsbury is a lovely route and Packington is not what it was.
In the 90's that place was terrifying.

SPARKSY

Post by SPARKSY »

highburyJD wrote:we are running out - posted this a while ago:
highburyJD wrote:
northbank123 wrote:Villa, Falcao, Gomez, Cavani, Neymar, Tevez. Every week the list of top-class strikers who we could feasibly sign gets shorter and shorter
I would have been delighted with Villa or Gomez
I guess Falcao, Cavani and Neymar were never realistic
Tevez slipped under the radar somewhat - he would have been an excellent signing

who is left? Obviously Higgy - now chased by Napoli. Suarez, Rooney and Jovetic
we were linked with El Shaarawy at AC Milan, I think he extended his contract...

Sometimes Wenger makes leftfield signings the press don't link - (Eduardo)
so feasible and good strikers: Balotelli, Berbatov, Benteke, I like Papiss Cisse, Giuseppe Rossi recovered from injury, Negredo (or has he signed for City already?), Kiessling from Leverkusen, I hear Pato is getting some stick in the Brazilian press, Eto'o if he's made enough money in Russia, Milito is back from longterm injury at Inter
so mostly older players or returning from injury...

none quite as exciting as Higuain.
Out of those Negredo has gone, Benteke has signed a contract, think Cisse has made up woth Newcastle, Higuain gone to Napoli...
I didn't mention Soldado who will prob go to Sperz

Suarez aint coming to Arsenal. I thnk Liverpool are quite confident he will stay at least for another season which will leave us well and truely fucked.
Besides Suarez alone is not enough. If he was to join and there were no other signings, that would suggest that the sole aim is again to finish top four. A case of just doing enough to keep us in front of Spurs and LIverpool.

But lets be honest here, why would Suarez come to Arsenal as our lone signing (with other top signings it would, of course, be different but unfortunately there are none of those either). He wouldn't really be any better off than he is at Liverpool.
So he gets to play CL until the group stage and then we're out. Sole ambition being finish in the top 4.
At least it does appear that the scousers are trying to build a team and push on.
We all know the same cannot be said of Arsenal.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

They've been trying to build a team for years. In fact, I don't think any club doesn't try to build a team. It's just that they're hampered by various factors.

We're hampered by failing to strengthen in key areas and by continually signing cheap and unproven players.
Liverpool are hampered by signing seriously shit players.

highburyJD

Post by highburyJD »

Why would Suarez come to Arsenal? To play CL football obviously.
And if all he ever gets to do is fill his boots in the group stages it pushes him on
I'm sure we would be treated just like Gronigen (sued them unsuccessfully) Ajax forced move with bite
Liverpool forced move with bite. His target is Real Madrid or Barca. Hopefully both.
Zero loyalty.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Isn't Brendan Rogers an excellent man to preach loyalty to Suarez..??
Left Swansea to join Liverpool despite being under contract, had a gentleman's agreement not to poach Swansea players which he broke with Joe Allen.
Having said that I wouldn't want the blood-sucking racist cheat Suarez to join Arsenal.

highburyJD

Post by highburyJD »

I don't wan't him either
but signing nobody might be worse!

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... um=twitter

Are the victims preparing for life after Suarez

goonerwalker

Post by goonerwalker »

There's no doubt Suarez is a world class player, but his attitude is far from world class. The amount of games he missed due to suspension make him a total liability and really mean that he isn't worth more than £20m to a club.

Given how we pride ourselves on taking the moral high ground on many issues, Suarez would be very untypical of Arsenal. It shames me to see that cocky s**t Bendnter representing the Arsenal never mind that biting racist. :cussing:

Tbh, I can't understand why we didn't just get Higuain. We could have had a top quality striker, without the baggage Suarez brings, for £20m less than what Liverpool want. Seems simple, but not for Arsenal :roll: :banghead:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Post by Leyton Gooner »

Do we count as a cl club if we haven't got through the play off round? Or maybe the more relevant question would be do we count as a "big London club"? Or even more relevant actually cares?

LDB
Location: Having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over

Post by LDB »

Red Gunner

Post by Red Gunner »

Ian Wright says that he would welcome Suarez in Arsenal:

"I'd welcome him at Arsenal with open arms," Wright told BBC Sport.

"But if I was Suarez, when you look at everything, it does seem strange he would want to go to Arsenal. I would give Liverpool another season."

"Gerrard is not someone who comes out and says things flippantly," said Wright...

"If you look at Arsenal - not won anything in eight years, just challenging for fourth place, not really any players there who will make him say 'I'm going to play with him and him' - Gerrard has got a point."

"Suarez is a world-class striker and if he didn't have all the baggage around him, I feel the Barcelonas, Real Madrids and Bayern Munichs would be sniffing around," said the ex-England international.

"That's why I believe Arsenal should try to bring him in - because I feel it's the only time they could get someone like that. In another market, I don't think he'd even look at Arsenal."

"We need to see something I've not seen Arsenal do for many years and that is compete to sign players that Manchester United would want, that Manchester City would want and that Chelsea would want," he said.

"But they're running out of time and I don't think, at the moment, they've got the ability to attract those players because they haven't won anything in such a long time. This is why Arsenal are in serious trouble right now.

"I would like to see them go as far as they can to get Suarez, but they can't just buy him and not replenish the rest of the team. I think they need a goalkeeper, two centre-halves, two full-backs - for both left-back and right-back positions - another midfielder and two strikers.

"It doesn't make sense buying Suarez for that money and not backing it up with other signings of the same stature."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23539678

highburyJD

Post by highburyJD »

goonerwalker wrote:Tbh, I can't understand why we didn't just get Higuain.
I really wanted us to. Narrative is Real Madrid pissed around on price, might be true. I think the fact Giroud would have to be dropped from the first XI is a factor - Suarez is more adaptable.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

highburyJD wrote:
goonerwalker wrote:Tbh, I can't understand why we didn't just get Higuain.
I really wanted us to. Narrative is Real Madrid pissed around on price, might be true. I think the fact Giroud would have to be dropped from the first XI is a factor - Suarez is more adaptable.
I'd love to ridicule this but I know that this would be a factor in Wenger's thinking. If by some chance we did sign Suarez we could definitely expect to see him cast out on the left wing half the time.