Cardiff Away travel etc game thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
mattyj3nks

Cardiff Away travel etc game thread

Post by mattyj3nks »

Hi all,

Received my tickets for this match through the post this morning so im looking to see where everyone will be drinking pre match.
We are driving to the city centre and leaving the car there for the day and then looking for a few hours of drinking before walking to the ground.

Near the station there is 'the great western', 'walkabout' and 'prince of wales' which is a wetherspoons.

The wales v Australia rugby is on at the millennium stadium at 5pm so I expect the city centre to be pretty busy all day.
Would be good to find out where groups of gooners will be drinking before the match as I cant find any details about a designated away pub.

Please help so then I can find somewhere close to park for the day.

Thanks
Matt

hut160

Re: Cardiff Away

Post by hut160 »

Cardiff is busy on a Saturday and on international day more so, but a great friendly atmosphere. All the city centre pubs will be busy. We are staying in Chepstow and driving in too. My daughter is at the Uni there so she will know some good pubs!
I will ask her and post back
should be a good trip

storrmin571

Post by storrmin571 »

St Marys Street town centre is best place. However if you are moving towards the ground avoid the Kings in Canton as its a tad twattish. Few pubs by the ground.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

I would stay away from Canton full stop as an away fan, not the friendliest of places on a matchday. If you're drinking in the city centre everywhere will be bouncing with the rugby on. Haven't been there for a while but Y Mochyn Du used to be a great pre-match pub and ideal for Millennium Stadium as it's 10 mins walk (although a little bit out of the centre).

Unless it's been done up recently the Great Western is a dive. If you're looking for Spoons pubs The Gatekeeper opposite the Millennium Stadium is 5 minutes walk from Cardiff Central or Central Bar is 2 mins walk from Cardiff Queen Street station (2 mins train from Central and on all the same local train lines). Both solid Spoons pubs but latter would be a better bet for a bit of matchday boozing.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

The pubs in the city centre will be bouncing with friendly rugby fans and will be safe - unless you start acting like a twat - then you may well get 'twatted' - i would definitely avoid any pubs in the Canton/Ninian Areas - The Canton, The Admiral, The Ninian Park, The Lansdowne - all are devoted Cardiff City pubs - and the Cardiff Soul Crew idiots occupy most of them,,,the new Cardiff Football Ground is a tad out of the way ...about 25 - 30 minute walk from the city centre....

The best pubs in the city centre are The Old Arcade, The Owain Glyn Dwr, O'Neill's and the usual walkabout - with huge screens etc - the city will be red & white scarves everywhere from Welsh Rugby fans...The plod will be out in force - simply because of the huge rugby numbers...the pubs will be jammed to the rafters - so most people drink on the streets outside.

For those Guinness drinkers - try the local brewers (Brains) Brains Dark - it is yummy, then there is Brains S.A (Strong Ale (but called Skull Attack for very good reason) also Brains Bitter which IS as strong as fuck.

link to pubs in Cardiff city Centre

http://www.cardiffpubs.co.uk/Region.php?Region=Centre

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

OneBardGooner wrote:The pubs in the city centre will be bouncing with friendly rugby fans and will be safe - unless you start acting like a twat - then you may well get 'twatted' - i would definitely avoid any pubs in the Canton/Ninian Areas - The Canton, The Admiral, The Ninian Park, The Lansdowne - all are devoted Cardiff City pubs - and the Cardiff Soul Crew idiots occupy most of them,,,the new Cardiff Football Ground is a tad out of the way ...about 25 - 30 minute walk from the city centre....

The best pubs in the city centre are The Old Arcade, The Owain Glyn Dwr, O'Neill's and the usual walkabout - with huge screens etc - the city will be red & white scarves everywhere from Welsh Rugby fans...The plod will be out in force - simply because of the huge rugby numbers...the pubs will be jammed to the rafters - so most people drink on the streets outside.

For those Guinness drinkers - try the local brewers (Brains) Brains Dark - it is yummy, then there is Brains S.A (Strong Ale (but called Skull Attack for very good reason) also Brains Bitter which IS as strong as fuck.

link to pubs in Cardiff city Centre

http://www.cardiffpubs.co.uk/Region.php?Region=Centre

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:
Clocking in at 3.7%? :lol: :lol: Also if you're a stout fan then Brains Black will more likely be your tipple.

Lloyds/Varsity on Greyfriars Road will both be really lively, plenty of screens etc. But basically yeah head into City Centre and go from there, plenty of places

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

Love the Brains adverts

All beers have heads, only ours have brains

or the old "You need brains", or "Its Brains you want" - popular when I lived in Cardiff.

Whatever happened to The Philly though :cry:

SPARKSY

Post by SPARKSY »

mattyj3nks wrote:Hi all,

Received my tickets for this match through the post this morning so im looking to see where everyone will be drinking pre match.
We are driving to the city centre and leaving the car there for the day and then looking for a few hours of drinking before walking to the ground.
Near the station there is 'the great western', 'walkabout' and 'prince of wales' which is a wetherspoons.

The wales v Australia rugby is on at the millennium stadium at 5pm so I expect the city centre to be pretty busy all day.
Would be good to find out where groups of gooners will be drinking before the match as I cant find any details about a designated away pub.

Thanks
Matt

Watch your back mate if walking. Aint the best of places around Ninian, especially for those of us from the smoke and English too................................... :lol:

mattyj3nks

Post by mattyj3nks »

How would you suggest getting from the city centre to the ground and then back after the match?

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

The City Line trains go to Ninian Park from both Queen Street and Central station although closest station is probably Grangetown which is served by local lines every few minutes - never used them on an away matchday so can't vouch for the sort of reception you'll get. To be honest all the areas around the ground are pretty rough and hostile on a matchday, and their fans are complete morons more interested in building a reputation for being hooligans than they are in football but plenty of police will be knocking around especially with the rugby.

hut160

Post by hut160 »

SPARKSY wrote:
mattyj3nks wrote:Hi all,

Thanks
Matt

Watch your back mate if walking. Aint the best of places around Ninian, especially for those of us from the smoke and English too................................... :lol:

I am cultivating my welsh accent innit boyo

I remember when I was in west wales on holiday as a 16yr old. Some local lads came up to us and asked where you boys from them? my reply Bristol-- his reply "thats nice innit" followed by a punch to the head and a good kicking!

It didnt stop me marrying my welsh wife though!

SPARKSY

Post by SPARKSY »

mattyj3nks wrote:How would you suggest getting from the city centre to the ground and then back after the match?
If you can't hire a tank for the day then its best to go mob handed or dressed as a copper :D

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

mattyj3nks wrote:How would you suggest getting from the city centre to the ground and then back after the match?
If the weather is ok, i don't remember it being too far to walk.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Theoperator wrote:Love the Brains adverts

All beers have heads, only ours have brains

or the old "You need brains", or "Its Brains you want" - popular when I lived in Cardiff.

Whatever happened to The Philly though :cry:
The Philharmonic

Got burnt out by a student smoking meths

:D :mrgreen: :wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

SPARKSY wrote:
If you can't hire a tank for the day then its best to go mob handed or dressed as a copper :D
Yeah that should do it...all the Plod are members of the CCSC

:shock:

FACT!