Jack Wilshere

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
QuartzGooner

Re: Super Jack

Post by QuartzGooner »

Wilshere is an all-round midfielder in the modern game; passes, runs, tackles in equal measure.

In years gone by he might well have been the creative central midfielder in a 4-4-2.

Ultimatum I do not believe it is the formation that is a problem, it is more a case of needing the dominant enforcer midfielder that you request.

Flamini is the best we have in the squad.

dPmunky

Post by dPmunky »

Ultimatum94 wrote:
dPmunky wrote:he needs to release the ball quicker. for me it looks the same, every game, makes a mad dash upfield with his head down, runs and runs until he sees defenders feet, pulls his head up, releases the ball with only shoelaces to spare and is clobbered by the defender.
Thats a bit harsh. He does need to release the ball quicker but he's a really special talent. Teams know this and set out to take him out every single time as he's that vital bridge from attack to defence.

Wilshere just needs a proficient, big and physical DM alongside him to thrive, like Alex Song, just as Arteta needs Ramsey.
perhaps a bit harsh but he IS a talent and i know he can do better. the games when he's on, he's brilliant, then others like i described before, it's frustrating to watch him get knocked around again and again. I love the mans attitude though, he doesnt seem to be afraid of anyone out there and i love reading his lips on the t.v. when he's telling some guy 6" taller then him to f%#k off! :box:

hut160

Post by hut160 »

Jack used to be able to commit and beat a defender by pushing the ball forward and just nicking it past them, Havent see him do that so much this term. He also goes to ground too easily holding his ankle/foot when he looses the ball or tackled. Likely due to his injuries and time out but he really hasnt kicked on.
I hope the Scholes critism makes him look at himself and how he can improve- I remember Gerrard saying what a talent he was and that he is a future England captain a few years back- maybe that went to his head a bit too??
Lets hope he stays injury free and grounded and pushes on

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Precocious talent that hasn't progressed as his potential suggests. Injury hasn't helped and he is always singled out for a kick every game by the opposition.

I hope he sorts his glass ankles out mind, a few years back his direct runs through the middle reminded me very much of gazza. You can see when he is kicked that h'es in agony for ages and hobbling round after.

Ultimatum94

Post by Ultimatum94 »

Looked really sharp in his short cameo at Wembley alongside Rozza.

Hopefully, Jack can just kick on from all the injuries and criticism and prove how good he actually is on the pitch.

COYG :barscarf: :barscarf:

Theoperator

Re: Jack Wilshere: Over-Rated?

Post by Theoperator »

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

I'd like to stub out a packet of 20 on his bollocks and stick another packet up his arse.

Rightly accused of not developing over recent years he decides that nicotine and tar are just what he needs to get his career back on track.

I'm rapidly going off him.

Lee1

Post by Lee1 »

GranadaJoe wrote:I'd like to stub out a packet of 20 on his bollocks and stick another packet up his arse.

Rightly accused of not developing over recent years he decides that nicotine and tar are just what he needs to get his career back on track.

Sadly I'm coming to that opinion too.....

Brady's left peg

Post by Brady's left peg »

GranadaJoe wrote:I'd like to stub out a packet of 20 on his bollocks and stick another packet up his arse.

I've defended him many times... but quite frankly I have given up (unlike Jack) now. I fear his career is heading down the same path as Bendtners.
He was a really talented youngster with the potential to be a world class midfielder, having lost so much time to injury you would of thought he would be looking after himself... obviously not!
Never thought I would say this but if this is an indicator towards how professionally he treats his fitness/career, then it confirms that he has totally the wrong attitude and we should get rid while his stock is still reasonably high.

spendsum4uckingmoney

Post by spendsum4uckingmoney »

I dont get Jack. He cries his heart out when Scholes told him he hasnt improved and feared for his England future just a few weeks ago.

cameron326

Post by cameron326 »

According to my FM13 handheld he's worth 30m

SELL SELL SELL!!! Lol

We big-up reasonably talented homegrown youngsters like they're amazing world class players, and they believe the hype. No wonder we fail miserably every World Cup.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

To be fair although he still had a long way to go Wilshere was superb in 2010/11 considering his age.

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

Big deal, he had a fag but he really could do without this now.

His place is under threat and could do without the negative publicity.

He should be keeping his head down, silly boy.

Brady's left peg

Post by Brady's left peg »

northbank123 wrote:To be fair although he still had a long way to go Wilshere was superb in 2010/11 considering his age.
He was indeed not even overawed when playing against Barcelona... so much talent at such a young age. :barscarf:

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee

Post by Yankee_Gooner_Dandee »

his career has def stalled out. and he's gonna have a hell of a time getting on the pitch in anything but FA cup/mickey cup games. play him ahead of cazorla? no. ozil? no. ramsey? no. rosicky? maybe.