Anti-Wenger Protest

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Clash

Re: Anti-Wenger Protest

Post by Clash »

Good to see a thread like this. Well done to all involved.

As the Man United game is a high profile game on TV I think a visual protest would be the most effective thing.

So how about anyone with a ticket that wants Wenger out not going in through the turnstiles until half time? The team is notoriously slow at starting games so its very like that nobody will miss anything. And who really cares if you do?

Its impossible to hide empty seats from the cameras and therefore it would have to be commented on. Banners are only effective if the cameras pick them up and focus long enough on them. And they might linger just as long or longer on the 'In Arsene We Trust' type banners too.

Also there is nothing the club can do about people refusing to go in like they can by confiscating banners and ejecting anyone shouting abuse. And if by sods law the team actually put on a show and race into a 2-0 or something playing the high tempo game we only see once a season if we're lucky, then any protest that has happened outside beforehand will get too easily overlooked. That scenario wont happen in a half empty ground.

Let the ground be AKBs and tourists only for the 1st half and let the eerie and empty stadium spoil the occasion for the tourists who thought they had got lucky getting a ticket for big game. Hopefully they'll never come back.

Dodgyknee71

Post by Dodgyknee71 »

Clash wrote:Good to see a thread like this. Well done to all involved.

As the Man United game is a high profile game on TV I think a visual protest would be the most effective thing.

So how about anyone with a ticket that wants Wenger out not going in through the turnstiles until half time? The team is notoriously slow at starting games so its very like that nobody will miss anything. And who really cares if you do?

Its impossible to hide empty seats from the cameras and therefore it would have to be commented on. Banners are only effective if the cameras pick them up and focus long enough on them. And they might linger just as long or longer on the 'In Arsene We Trust' type banners too.

Also there is nothing the club can do about people refusing to go in like they can by confiscating banners and ejecting anyone shouting abuse. And if by sods law the team actually put on a show and race into a 2-0 or something playing the high tempo game we only see once a season if we're lucky, then any protest that has happened outside beforehand will get too easily overlooked. That scenario wont happen in a half empty ground.

Let the ground be AKBs and tourists only for the 1st half and let the eerie and empty stadium spoil the occasion for the tourists who thought they had got lucky getting a ticket for big game. Hopefully they'll never come back.
Spot on!! I for one am done with the talking, moaning etc, I'd happily wait until half time to prove a point ....

Post of the season so far by a mile

Dodgyknee71

Post by Dodgyknee71 »

And I'll add this .... If the club don't start listening, I'll keep renewing that's not an issue but I swear I'll never sit in that seat until change..... Fk em have your 1k but your get fuck all else, and most definitely not a tourist filling it spending extra each game ..... The more I type this the more appealing it gets.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

the half time boycott idea is a great idea but i think its a bit early for that to work - you need 3-4,000 for that. i think that would have more success against Southampton if we lose to united and BVB.

for United, i reckon there will be 3-500 fans - about half of the BSM March (same faces probably...). so my advice is stick to songs, A4 n A3 cards and banners, balloons maybe - as you are not looking to get wenger out that night, but build support for our position and encourage dissent during and after the game if as expected it goes badly.

i'd meet you mates in a pub away from the ground, arrange by PM here or on FB to mob up nearby and then find somewhere to stand with a wall or railing behind you to protect your backs and make it harder to move you on or back you off (is this sounding familiar or what ?). Then at 4.45pm rally the chaps with a Rendition of "she wore"....and see what develops 8)

i'd also suggest wearing yellow - away shirts, hats, scarves, or the BSM hats and scarves, so you stand out and can recognize each other.

i'd also keep the language towards the club and wenger clean .

glenngould

Post by glenngould »

Looking good at the moment for a protest before the game. I think ideas like going in at half time are good but unworkable really. People still want to see the game even if we're unhappy with what we're actually seeing. Also getting songs going at certain times seem hard to organise. I think getting a time and a place, printing things off and at least having a half hour or so of all being in the same place will get attention. I would cheekily suggest somewhere near to where the coach comes past - Armoury ideal. Sod the effect it might have on the players, to be honest. I don't even care about the results anymore...

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

coming in at half time for the Man Utd game is fantasy - that will never happen.

pick a lower profile match if you want that to work.

as I have already mentioned on this thread I think to protest before the United game comes with problems.
if there is a protest and then Arsenal go on to win then the media will focus on the United decline and the protest will be ignored (or even worst ridiculed)

be a better idea to have a spontaneous protest IF we lose to United and then carry on the protest into the following midweek game v Dortmund.

remigardeshair

Post by remigardeshair »

Dodgyknee71 wrote:And I'll add this .... If the club don't start listening, I'll keep renewing that's not an issue but I swear I'll never sit in that seat until change..... Fk em have your 1k but your get fuck all else, and most definitely not a tourist filling it spending extra each game ..... The more I type this the more appealing it gets.
Thats kind of where I am with it all - I thought long and hard about whether to re-new last summer and did so mainly so I can take my son. We are going to the Man United game but I'm done after that, I don't want to go while he is still in charge.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Dodgyknee71 wrote:And I'll add this .... If the club don't start listening, I'll keep renewing that's not an issue but I swear I'll never sit in that seat until change..... Fk em have your 1k but your get fuck all else, and most definitely not a tourist filling it spending extra each game ..... The more I type this the more appealing it gets.
so you say you are willing to hand over £1k to Stan Kroenke and Arsenal each summer but not bother going??

that is ridiculous.
1) Kroenke is not bothered whether you attend or not so long as he get his money.
if the ground ever gets too empty he will be quite happy as it gives him an excuse to start transferring games to the US (like the american football teams coming to Wembley)

2) you are denying the chance for the younger Arsenal supporters coming through to get a ticket.

gra001

Post by gra001 »

Gunner Rob wrote:coming in at half time for the Man Utd game is fantasy - that will never happen.

as I have already mentioned on this thread I think to protest before the United game comes with problems.
if there is a protest and then Arsenal go on to win then the media will focus on the United decline and the protest will be ignored (or even worst ridiculed)

be a better idea to have a spontaneous protest IF we lose to United and then carry on the protest into the following midweek game v Dortmund.
Totally disagree, why wait, iv'e waited over 5 years to get rid of him and to do something about it. One win won't hide anything what's going on at present, we have had enough of him, if you think that by beating Man utd will make thing's right well your wrong. Whether we Win or Lose we Protest Now, before the Manure game, as this will be a good start as everyone is talking about it Now, this will grow even stronger. If by any chance this is read by any Arsenal staff or players this will get round, they all need to fucking wake up and give 110%, there is something Not right there....Protest 4:45 before Manure, Armoury ( canons ) Also if we win against Manure ( that we haven't beaten for years ) do you honestly think the press will be talking about the result !!! No they won't .The Protests would be headlines in all the papers and media !!!!!!!

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

gra001 wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:coming in at half time for the Man Utd game is fantasy - that will never happen.

Totally disagree, why wait, iv'e waited over 5 years to get rid of him and to do something about it. One win won't hide anything what's going on at present, we have had enough of him, if you think that by beating Man utd will make thing's right well your wrong. Whether we Win or Lose we Protest Now, before the Manure game, as this will be a good start as everyone is talking about it Now, this will grow even stronger. If by any chance this is read by any Arsenal staff or players this will get round, they all need to fucking wake up and give 110%, there is something Not right there....Protest 4:45 before Manure, Armoury ( canons ) Also if we win against Manure ( that we haven't beaten for years ) do you honestly think the press will be talking about the result !!! No they won't .The Protests would be headlines in all the papers and media !!!!!!!
oh I totally see your point about why wait (I have criticised Wenger on here as much as anyone) I just can see protesting at this particular game backfiring. it is a category A game - people spend a lot of money on those and they are usually the games where the supporters get behind the team more than in other games. dont forget the majority of the Emirates still back Wenger.

i also think if we win the papers would barely mention any protests - in fact Arsenal would be forgotten. it would be all out attack on United. your opinion so fair enough but personally i think a protest at this game wont work. (and this is coming from someone who wants to see protests soon)

gra001

Post by gra001 »

I will be there at 4:45 at the Armory ( canons) if the protest in ON!!!! :barscarf:

TheCook

Post by TheCook »

Clash wrote:Good to see a thread like this. Well done to all involved.
This really made me laugh. Save the 'well dones' til after something actually happens ; talking about it online is about 5% of the effort required. How many protest threads have there been on this forum in the last five years that have turned into boots on the ground?

augie

Post by augie »

Gunner Rob wrote:
gra001 wrote:

oh I totally see your point about why wait (I have criticised Wenger on here as much as anyone) I just can see protesting at this particular game backfiring. it is a category A game - people spend a lot of money on those and they are usually the games where the supporters get behind the team more than in other games. dont forget the majority of the Emirates still back Wenger.

i also think if we win the papers would barely mention any protests - in fact Arsenal would be forgotten. it would be all out attack on United. your opinion so fair enough but personally i think a protest at this game wont work. (and this is coming from someone who wants to see protests soon)

So we should only organise protests for games that we know that we will lose ?? Surely the whole point of any protest is that it goes way beyond the result of any one game and is much deeper than that ? If we only protest when we lose, we will be labelled as fickle glory hunters and it will straight away dilute the credibility of any protest and will only feed the akb justification of lauding le cock and dismissing the fans grievances :evil:

For me a protest needs to start pre match when it makes the result and performance irrelevant - if the performance goes along the same lines as recent performances, then the outcry/protests can be cranked up a notch during the game and even more so at the end of the game. I still think that many of you are underestimating the percentage of fans who now want le cock gone - how many home games have the fans booed at the final whistle ? Even last week's Anderlecht game seen the fans react in an angry matter and that will be nothing compared to any reaction to a poor domestic performance. Many, many fans are just waiting for somebody else to take the inititive and lead them into a protest (inside the bowl anyway) and will quickly row in behind when the chance arrives (in every walk of life there are far more followers than leaders)

Lets be clear here......no single protest is going to get us what we want here. What this (or any other protest) is meant to achieve is to set the ball rolling and turn up the heat on wenker. We need a start to raise awareness in other Gooners who might also be angry at where this team is going under le cock so lets not set our expectations too high but stop making excuses and get this thing started

mikeyb772001
Location: Block 6! Drunk and standing next to a mad man with no clothes on!

Post by mikeyb772001 »

Having been present to all the recent poor manned protests and all the BSM marches I can tell you all now this protest will fail, as will any attempt to boycott a game. It simply won’t happen and it’s pointless suggesting it. We have seen hundreds if not thousands say they will join us but the 2 times we attempted a protest nobody turned up. Plus the abuse we got was crazy. By the way the people running this protest were not kids yet it still fell on deaf ears.

As a group we have tried all sorts and petty as it sounds all it did was alienate people and cause more of a divide. It had zero impact.

Same with the banner.. It was held up recently in Belgium and people were not happy at all. Yet everyone agreed that he should leave… how does that work…?

Our fans are far too nice and the second protest is mentioned or public critical banners are on show about wenger the sheep go mental. I’ve seen friends that are die hard wenger fans turn the last few Months and agree he has to go (the fence sitters) I call them. Yet now a protest is mentioned or they hear wenger get criticised they defend him again. Anything pre planned will get the backs up of these fans and alienate the masses. We are way off getting genuine numbers to actually take part and finally demand change. They love wenger too much to hurt him. The only positive is that for many “akbs’ they mostly realise that wenger does need to go but they will never push the matter and will happily accept it due to what he’s done for the club.
The only time I ever see the wenger fans or fence sitters get angry is during a game. Been some aways this season where certain faces shocked me with their reaction. But 2-3 days later they are backing him again. Its laughable

The only way anything will happen is if we lose another major home game. THE ONLY TIME the club have ever taken notice was after Villa 3.1. The crowd reaction after and the media back lash that followed was poison. As was the crowd in the ground it was loud and it was pure anger directed at Wenger. That was more productive than any protest or any boycott. The club went out and bought Ozil and I am convinced that only happened due to that result and the reaction online and in the media.

If we lose against Manure , that crowd will go apeshit. I’m not talking about the wenger out brigade, I’m talking nearly the whole ground. Those fence sitters who get angry might calm down and go back to backing him after but by then the damage is done. Now if we also lose against Dortmund we are talking real strides of fan unrest and finally that old fraud being accountable for his actions.

Going back the last few years every time there is unrest regarding wenger the old goat always turns it around and does just enough to get the sheep masses backing him again. It’s like he has 9 lives. I don’t care what anyone thinks of me I want us to lose next Saturday. I want that ground to turn and it needs to happen more than once. Let the ground reflect the online back lash for once.

There I said it! Debate as you will

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

as was the BSM march , what did the OB estimate it at ? 1100 ?

if you can do something you should - the time for doing nothing is over - protest now and more poor results will turn the majority of support as people realise other people feel the same.