The Banner

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Champagne Charlie

Re: Banner debate on AFTVpodcast

Post by Champagne Charlie »

Thanks to both SPUDSMASHER and arseofacrow - some of your suggestions were used on the podcast. :D

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Have to agree with Augie , the avatar doesn't really raise interest in listening to your podcast if you want to get involved in a reasoned debate.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Champagne Charlie wrote:Also, just because I don't like Usmanov doesn't mean I'm in favour of Kreonke.
I've no love for both parties actually.
This ^^. 8)

At the risk of dragging this thread off topic a bit (and I apologise to the OP) I find the current thinking on here a bit off tbh regarding the Kroenke/Usmanov thing. It seems to be very polarised along the lines of; if you don't like Usmanov then you must LOVE Kroenke. It's not that black and white. I personally think Kroenke is a cancer inside our club, but I also do not trust Usmanov for one second. In a perfect world neither would be involved with The Arsenal.

On a slightly seperate issue, what exactly has Usmanov done to make so many of you think he is our saviour in waiting? Had a couple of pops at the board in the media? Talk is cheap. There is absolutely no guarantee he would put his hand in his pocket if he took control or, indeed, no guarantee that he would improve anything relating to the club. Ignoring all the corruption/criminal allegations for a moment, I still think it is safe to say he is at the very least a greedy billionaire and a (alleged) Manure fan. What emotional connection does he have to us? My honest opinion is he looks on us as another money making business opportunity and nothing more. Which, let's be honest, equates him with the wig wearing idiot. :|

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Champagne Charlie wrote:Also, just because I don't like Usmanov doesn't mean I'm in favour of Kreonke.
This ^^. 8)

At the risk of dragging this thread off topic a bit (and I apologise to the OP) I find the current thinking on here a bit off tbh regarding the Kroenke/Usmanov thing. It seems to be very polarised along the lines of; if you don't like Usmanov then you must LOVE Kroenke. It's not that black and white. I personally think Kroenke is a cancer inside our club, but I also do not trust Usmanov for one second. In a perfect world neither would be involved with The Arsenal.

On a slightly seperate issue, what exactly has Usmanov done to make so many of you think he is our saviour in waiting? Had a couple of pops at the board in the media? Talk is cheap. There is absolutely no guarantee he would put his hand in his pocket if he took control or, indeed, no guarantee that he would improve anything relating to the club. Ignoring all the corruption/criminal allegations for a moment, I still think it is safe to say he is at the very least a greedy billionaire and a (alleged) Manure fan. What emotional connection does he have to us? My honest opinion is he looks on us as another money making business opportunity and nothing more. Which, let's be honest, equates him with the wig wearing idiot. :|

Ok lets say that in an ideal world we would want neither of them, in this realistic world have we any other alternatives ? Given that the answer is probably a resounding no, would you prefer kroenke or usmanov in charge right now ? The reality is that we dont know for sure how usmanov would run the club but WE DO KNOW how the slimy yank is running it and it isnt good :evil: Personally I have no probs with an owner coming in and making some cash off us but there is more than one way to do this - the syrup c.unt has decided that grabbing all available money and spending fcuk all is the way to go, but I would hope that usmanov would see the bigger picture and realise that making Arsenal successful again would raise the clubs profile and make them much more attractive to sponsors and corporate box holders.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I tend to think of them both as only interested in it (Arsenal/Football) as a distraction - kreonke will make money from us - and never invest, whilst Usmanov might invest - But only because he thinks of us as a play thing - like a train set for a billionaire or merely a trinket on his charm(less) bracelette - either way I wish the baord had never done a deal with either....David Dein must also shoulder some blame for selling his shares to the fat olgarch...

The worst part of all this is that we have seen the best days of Arsenal - as a club - unless there is a HUGE shift in the world's finances and world order - ie: revolution of some kind at all levels - which would affect all financial institutions and investment corporations - and High Profile Sports Franchises (which is how Kroenke and usmanov see us) The Arsenal you and I Loved, Love and knew is Gone. :oops:

I cherish every moment of every game I watched us play at Highbury - I miss it like a dear, dear friend.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Talk IS cheap and opportunist. Talk is also generally politically motivated. Opposition politicians are masters in saying what people want to hear and I think Usmanov is doing that now.

Champagne Charlie

Post by Champagne Charlie »

augie wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
This ^^. 8)

Ok lets say that in an ideal world we would want neither of them, in this realistic world have we any other alternatives ? Given that the answer is probably a resounding no, would you prefer kroenke or usmanov in charge right now ? The reality is that we dont know for sure how usmanov would run the club but WE DO KNOW how the slimy yank is running it and it isnt good :evil: Personally I have no probs with an owner coming in and making some cash off us but there is more than one way to do this - the syrup c.unt has decided that grabbing all available money and spending fcuk all is the way to go, but I would hope that usmanov would see the bigger picture and realise that making Arsenal successful again would raise the clubs profile and make them much more attractive to sponsors and corporate box holders.
To be honest I think we need plurality in shareholders. It keeps the books open for all to see. A single owner could easily prviatise it and we'd be potentially fcuked.
So as much as I don't like Usmanov at least we get to see the annual report.

As for Usmanov coming in and playing Robin Hood by selling shares back to supporters at a discount, I just don't see it happening. What are the shares worth now? Despite his obvious wealth I don't see him handing shares back to fans at a pittance. Certainly not enough anyway.

He always pipes up when times are bad. Like an opportunist. I bet he's like Peter Pannu: has several anonymous social media accts and searches for threads/tweets/posts about him ,lol

augie

Post by augie »

Am I right in saying that a while back it was said that usmanov pays for his own box at the grove ? We all know that kroenke pays the sweet sum of fcuk all AND takes 3m a season for doing so :roll: As champagne Charlie has said, the days of fans owning shares has long gone so forget that pipedream for starters. Secondly I don't understand the benefits of us seeing the club accounts - the accounts being public didn't stop kroenke taking 3m out and if none of the board are in a position to prevent it happening then what difference does it make to us ? :?

Tbh, and maybe I am a bit naïve here, but the thought of the club being a play thing for usmanov is a good thing and is certainly a better situation than a guy owning the club to build up his investment portfolio with no intention of putting any of his own money in. Who would buy a play thing just to let it rot away in the corner ? Usmanov would surely enjoy the challenge of beating abramobitch at the chavs if for personal honour if nothing else. Usmanov at least APPEARS to be interested in seeing the team play and attends games during the season, whilst kroenke seems to watch us no more than a couple of times a season

armchair

Post by armchair »

I dont reckon we'd even be talking about Usmanov or Kronke if we had a manager who could motivate the team, do tactics and had us actually competing. The fact that Kronke apparantely does nothing about the biggest problem at the club tells me hes an arsehole in it for the dough.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

the old days are certainly gone - you only had to be sat in the bowl on Wednesday night to realise that.

Kroenke will unfortunately be harder to remove than Wenger but I would much rather that Usmanov was allowed to pump some money into the club.

TheCook

Post by TheCook »

augie wrote:Are we to assume that you (champagne Charlie) are from redaction or are a kroenke fan ? Your anti usmanov avatar suggests that is the case anyway and if so, debating with a pro institution person is usually a waste of time
Ha, obsessed much?

augie

Post by augie »

TheCook wrote:
augie wrote:Are we to assume that you (champagne Charlie) are from redaction or are a kroenke fan ? Your anti usmanov avatar suggests that is the case anyway and if so, debating with a pro institution person is usually a waste of time
Ha, obsessed much?

Obsessed about redaction ? No. Obsessed with wanting a change of ownership ? Yes.
My point was that, to date, anti usmanov fans fall into two categories......(1) pro kroenke (2) redaction. At that time it seemed (to me at least) that redactions opposition to usmanov was opposing him on a personal level rather than opposing the principle of selling out to an individual owner - there was no anti kroenke banners, no anti kroenke t shirts and no anti kroenke marches so its not a stretch to suggest that redactions opposition to him was a personal attack and that has never sat well with me. If we are ok with the club playing alcoholics, drug addicts, luggage thiefs etc, then I don't care what type of individual owns the club AS LONG AS HE RUNS IT PROPERLY so opposing usmanov on moral grounds is ridiculous imo

mikeyb772001
Location: Block 6! Drunk and standing next to a mad man with no clothes on!

Banner debate vs Geoff Arsenal! Dennis Bergkamp wonderland

Post by mikeyb772001 »

silus

Re: Banner debate vs Geoff Arsenal! Dennis Bergkamp wonderla

Post by silus »

Don't normally listen to podcasts but that was quite funny. That Geoff bloke didn't have a leg to stand on or any valid points....he was struggling so much i almost felt sorry for him in the end.

Bet the penny still won't drop with him though :banghead:

REB

Re: Banner debate vs Geoff Arsenal! Dennis Bergkamp wonderla

Post by REB »

i cant listen to that geoff bloke, the guy is clueless ffs.