Religion

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
QuartzGooner

Re: Religion

Post by QuartzGooner »

Not all the laws were given to Adam, though some were.

The basis of the laws I need were given to Moses over 3000 years ago.

They form the basics of current UK law, along with Bentham's theories on Utilitarianism.

Chippy you are considerably opposed to my view of the world, I to your's.
So be it.

afcforever

Post by afcforever »

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee

Post by Yankee_Gooner_Dandee »

i personally despise religion and believe that all religion has held back the people of Earth from advancing as much as we could/should have. religion is the ball-and-chain that holds down all of humanity.

but of all the religions, its clear that islam is the worst offender. these people live in the fucking 19th century and treat their women like animals. its disgraceful and disgusting.

is anyone a Tolkien reader? go and read The Silmarillion and tell me how that book is any different than the Bible. it's just that people actually believe the stuff in the Bible really happened and think the Silmarillion is a fantasy book. the Bible is probably the original work of fantasy that all others have grown from. human beings have a natural need to have everything explained and for everything to "make sense." science can try to explain these things in factual ways, but it takes time and effort and is not instant gratification. religion is like the easy way out because "God." but it gives people what they want, an answer. even though that answer is complete fiction and fantasy.

look up some of the studies that have been done on tribes that live isolated from the rest of the world in new guinea or the amazon. they have no idea what christianity/islam/budhism/etc. is but yet they all have their own form of "religion" or supernatural beliefs that explain why things are and the way things in the world work. why? because not knowing is simply not good enough. they come up with stories for these things which are passed down to generation to generation and thus they become law, or religion, or whatever you want to call it. and yet hypocritical christians would laugh at their beliefs, claiming them to be "make believe" or "magic" and simply false... yet noah got every single animal in pairs of 2 on a ship for 40 days and moses parted a sea. any civilization in recorded history has had their own type of religion, and in the past I could see why people would believe it. but in todays world with all the technology available, with how instantly connected someone in alaska can be with someone in austrailia, with how easily accessible factual information is, i just do not understand how religions continue to dominate humanity.

there are people living all around me that simply do not believe in evolution, or that dinosaurs ever existed! why? because of religion. it is holding us all back. its like a governor on an engine. we simply cannot reach our max while 90% of the world believes in books that were written 2000 years ago.

Chippy

Post by Chippy »

QuartzGooner wrote:Not all the laws were given to Adam, though some were.

The basis of the laws I need were given to Moses over 3000 years ago.

They form the basics of current UK law, along with Bentham's theories on Utilitarianism.

Chippy you are considerably opposed to my view of the world, I to your's.
So be it.
I just find it astonishing that someone who can post eloquently, on all sorts of stuff elsewhere, literally believes all this cobblers.

Simon

Post by Simon »

Quite simply it's all about mutual respect and tolerance. I have no issue with anyone who practices their faith or has no faith as long as their beliefs/lack of beliefs do not impinge on the rights of others.

However I do take serious issue with those who tell me only their way is right - be it the religious zealots who proclaim theirs is the one true path or the atheist zealots who insist they alone are right.

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Chippy

I refuse to believe that the universe is some sort of co-incidence or chance happening.
I believe it was designed by a supreme being, with a special purpose in mind.

The ancient Greeks thought the universe was eternal.
The Bible famously starts "In the beginning"....the very concept of a "a beginning" is there.
Chapter One Verse One.

I also believe that science is a process which inevitably moves towards confirmation that the universe was designed.
It has not got there yet, but the convergence of the many forces of the universe to now being four fundamental forces - Electromagnetism, Weak Nuclear, Strong Nuclear and Gravity...is a major step.
So are String Theory and Quantum physics, from my limited understanding of them.

There are things that are incredible to me...seven openings in a human face, seven main colours in the rainbow, seven notes on a musical scale, seven days in the week.
The orbiting of the earth around the sun, the ability to absorb nutrients from food, the ability to reproduce etc.

I cannot prove G-D's existence, neither can science.
But I believe it will.

REB

Post by REB »

“Religion is the opium of the people :twisted:

fairytales made up to frighten children is what religion is,

jews,muslims,christians your all crazy to believe in something that doesnt exist.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Religion is an important part of many lives, it provides a sense of direction and comfort to followers. All religions deserve respect and tolerance. But more importantly all religions must practice and display respect and tolerance to all.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Bradywasking wrote:Religion is an important part of many lives, it provides a sense of direction and comfort to followers. All religions deserve respect and tolerance. But more importantly all religions must practice and display respect and tolerance to all.
Exactly. But also, to tar all religion and religious belief with the same brush as the minority of extremists/fundamentalists is to display the exact same level of ignorance and intolerance as the religious zealots you guys are criticising. Religion in itself is not the problem par se, it is not the root of all evil. The problem is man and how man interprates and utilises those religious beliefs, often for his own twisted agenda.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

REB wrote:“Religion is the opium of the people :twisted:

fairytales made up to frighten children is what religion is,

jews,muslims,christians your all crazy to believe in something that doesnt exist.
Spot on Reb, I am a confirmed atheist. All religion is based on the promise of something after we die, absolute bollocks, when you die it's game over

Theoperator

Re: RIP Thread

Post by Theoperator »

Chippy wrote:Wenger is the root of all evil. :evil:
:shock:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Bradywasking wrote:Religion is an important part of many lives, it provides a sense of direction and comfort to followers. All religions deserve respect and tolerance. But more importantly all religions must practice and display respect and tolerance to all.

Well said mate

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee

Post by Yankee_Gooner_Dandee »

yeah nice and eutopia like. but in the real world this does not happen and will never happen.

Chippy

Post by Chippy »

Religions do not deserve respect. Many of them preach things which are immoral. I will respect your right to believe in a religion, but it does not mean I have to respect what that religion says especially when it preaches evil.

Chippy

Post by Chippy »