General Election May 7th

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.

Which party will you vote for in May2015

Tories
25%
Labour
17%
Lib Dems
3%
Ukip
27%
Green
13%
Nationalist (Scottish, Welsh or Irish)
5%
Unionist
No votes
Other
No votes
Never vote
3%
None of the above
7%

Total votes: 60

QuartzGooner

Re: General Election May 7th

Post by QuartzGooner »

Conservative.

I think the economic/financial situation is the most critical concern of the election and the Tories will keep spending to a minimum.
There will sadly be victims of spending cuts but the harsh truth is the country is almost broke, and Labour are not the ones to sort it.
We risk ending up like Greece if Labour get back in.

I also fear the virulent anti-Israel sentiments held in greater numbers by Labour and the Liberals than the Conservatives.
Not that I support the two-state solution Cameron supports but he practices real-politik when it comes to Israel.
A highly personal outlook for sure, and certainly not trying to make this thread about the Middle East, but for my vote it is a factor.

UKIP?
The odd sensible policy such as all NHS staff needing to speak English, but too much about soundbite politics and too many extremists in their ranks.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Pretty much my reasoning too. Well the first paragraph anyway.

Plus obviously the selfish outlook factor too - Minimum wage being hiked or Milibands left wing policies to appease the trade unionists who voted him in in the first place don't curry much favour with me.

Chippy

Post by Chippy »

Quartz, you have worked out that Miliband is Jewish, right? :wink: :lol:

MutleyGooner

Post by MutleyGooner »

I usually vote Tory but this time round UKIP will be getting my vote. Time to tighten up Border control.

REB

Post by REB »

looks like you lot are heading for a ukip/labour coalition if this poll is anything to go by :mrgreen:

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Chippy wrote:Quartz, you have worked out that Miliband is Jewish, right? :wink: :lol:
He is but he allows a lot of anti-Israel feeling in his party.

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

Chippy wrote:Quartz, you have worked out that Miliband is Jewish, right? :wink: :lol:
But he eats bacon sandwiches!! :shock: :o

Chippy

Post by Chippy »

Red Snapper wrote:
I think he's an atheist but the Jewish heritage accounts for his inability to eat a bacon sandwich properly. :D

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Chippy wrote:
Red Snapper wrote:
I think he's an atheist but the Jewish heritage accounts for his inability to eat a bacon sandwich properly. :D
If he is or is not an atheist he is still Jewish.

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

we brought the topic of religion into a political thread :barscarf:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:we brought the topic of religion into a political thread :barscarf:
All we need now is for somebody to stand as an MP for the Wenger Out Party and we'll have a proper OG thread on our hands :barscarf:

Chippy

Post by Chippy »

REB wrote:looks like you lot are heading for a ukip/labour coalition if this poll is anything to go by :mrgreen:
Because of our first past the post electoral system Ukip will be lucky to get 5 seats.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

how any sane person can bring themselves to vote labour after the disgusting mess they left this country in on nearly every area is beyond me.

balls as chancellor miliband as pm. we would be in financial ruin and a laughing stock on the world stage.

labour royally fucked up.

the conservatives haven't done everything right, border control for starters (but i feel a lot of that is being hamstrung by the lib dems), but they haven't done much wrong, the economy, and deficit, the most important issues at present are improving. lots of people complain about cuts, but many who bleat are not actually impacted. and the benefits system overhaul is long overdue and essential. the cuts are necessary and in reality the majority have felt no impact. people just don't want to stop living beyond there means and belt tightening. people continue to want everything and feel entitled to it despite it being beyond their means.

the only reason to not vote tory is ideological, a hatred of the right and the ridiculous attitude about having posh millionaires running things. well if there best qualified, who gives a shit. its like saying you need urgent life saving surgery and have a choice of 2 surgeons, one is better qualified and has a decent track record but is a toff millionaire, the other is a millionaire but supposedly interested in the common man but has a history of almighty fuck ups, losing his patients. who would you choose?

i really find all the hatred of the Tories because cameron and osbourne et al are posh and wealthy pathetic, why does it matter? people say they do not look after the least well off in society but that's just scare mongering. its fashionable for younger people to hate the Tories as they are often ideological morons who have no idea, but otherwise sensible people is baffling. the public sector hate them as they cant take the fact their cushy number (I'm not talking the whole sector nurses and fireman for example do bang up jobs) is up, and they have to face reality along with the rest of us in the private sector.

unfortunately I'm not articulate enough to put this all very well, but hopefully the gist is got. the Tories still stand for aspiration, getting on yourself and not having it all handed to you on a plate.

personally i will probably vote them, otherwise ukip, but i fear a ukip vote will allow labour in, and would like to give a tory majority a chance to rule without the lib dems getting in the way of proper reform (boundary reform for starters as well as telling scottish mps to f off). the most important issues as i see i are the economy, deficit and population growth on a small overcrowded island. population growth has knock on impacts in every area, and is the biggest issue we face, and the population density of southern england and the building everywhere will continue so long as nothing is done to stop it (i.e immigration limits, be it through withdrawal from eu or renegotiation, a less london centric economy somehow so that the SE doesn't continue to suffer from the pressures of growing population with the north taking some of the pressure off.

the fact is in a fair electoral system England would always elect a conservative government. like it or not England is conservative. Scotland, is the only reason labour get in, add to that the unfair boundaries and the inner cities (that are have been socially engineered to be natural labour areas), and its all in labours favour in electoral terms. if the gerrymandering of boundaries was fixed to a fair system they would be in serious trouble even with scotlands support.

i would also like to see an English only parliament and would have welcomed Scottish independence especially now the golden goose that salmond preached on about has carked it (north sea oil) and laughing at how fucked they are.

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

Labour ceased to be Labour after John Smith died and Blair became leader. If you are left/centre left then you are fucked – none of the parties speak for you.

They are now led by surely the most inept pairing ever: Ed Milliband and Ed Balls, a total pair of chumps.

That said, to any Conservative supporters: I cannot understand why anyone would vote for a party with such a punchable array of *word censored* such as; IDS, Grayling, Hammond, Cameron, Osborne, Pickles etc. An awful bunch of twats.

The LibDems have been doomed ever since they pissed on their manifesto in a desperate attempt to gain a modicum of power.

I will vote for someone pointless; such as the Greens, because I cannot bring myself to vote for any of the ‘main’ parties, populated as they are by a bunch of careerist dickheads.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

The only thing worse than the idea of Labour being voted in is the thought of Wenger being Prime Minister and Ed Miliband getting the Arsenal job. Yikes.