THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
mcdowell42

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by mcdowell42 »

I would like to welcome Arsene to the forum.

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

"He even got us to the Champions League final".

Once. Nearly a decade ago. :?

Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Post by Leyton Gooner »

CloakedGooner wrote:Been watching this site for a while, but this is my first contribution. I'm sick to death of all the wenger hating on here. It's time someone stood up for a man who's given so much to the club. 3 league titles, and 5 FA cups says it all, yet that's not good enough for some of the spoilt glory hunters on this site? It makes me sick to read some of the bile on here. The man is a purist, who has the right footballing idea. He even got us to the champions league final. Yeah, results haven't been great recently, but HE NEEDS TIME! Wait until the stadium is paid off at least!!!

After the Cup win last season you were all like "Wenger in!" Now we lose to Monaco and it's all "Wenger out!" :blah: We should be greatful we still have him, not hound him out the door like some scared rabbit. :cussing:
This shite you usually hear from Chav and Spud WUMs......

Welcome anyway :roll: If you're really a Gooner and can argue your points well, without resorting to insults (spoilt glory hunters) then you're more than welcome to challenge us on here

CloakedGooner

Post by CloakedGooner »

officepest wrote:"He even got us to the Champions League final".

He has been financially tied up ever since! I can assure you that we will challenge for the title and champs league within 2 years now the stadium has been paid off. I beg you not to lose faith.

Blood_Gooner

Post by Blood_Gooner »

A breath of fresh air this CloakedArsene is. Was really getting tired of reading the whiny comments from you miserable gits. :lol:

Hope you'll stick around and change the face of this depressing forum, Arsene. :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:
Last edited by Blood_Gooner on Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CloakedGooner

Post by CloakedGooner »

Leyton Gooner wrote:
CloakedGooner wrote:Been watching this site for a while, but this is my first contribution. I'm sick to death of all the wenger hating on here. It's time someone stood up for a man who's given so much to the club. 3 league titles, and 5 FA cups says it all, yet that's not good enough for some of the spoilt glory hunters on this site? It makes me sick to read some of the bile on here. The man is a purist, who has the right footballing idea. He even got us to the champions league final. Yeah, results haven't been great recently, but HE NEEDS TIME! Wait until the stadium is paid off at least!!!

After the Cup win last season you were all like "Wenger in!" Now we lose to Monaco and it's all "Wenger out!" :blah: We should be greatful we still have him, not hound him out the door like some scared rabbit. :cussing:
This shite you usually hear from Chav and Spud WUMs......

Welcome anyway :roll: If you're really a Gooner and can argue your points well, without resorting to insults (spoilt glory hunters) then you're more than welcome to challenge us on here
Thank you. I will tone down my arguments a little. Just been wanting to say this stuff for a while.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

mcdowell42 wrote:I would like to welcome Arsene to the forum.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

And whilst I do find some of the more gratuitous personal abuse ranges from distasteful to moronic, Wenger has long eroded his credit in the bank when it comes to walking away. Nobody can ever take away his tremendous achievements and for those I will be forever grateful but they no longer form any sort of justification for his actions.

This place has a habit of people fighting over who has hated Wenger most and earliest, but there have been so many opportunities for him to walk after years of (at best) mediocrity that even on a generous assessment it doesn't make good reading. After that 8-2 drubbing at United; at the end of that season after scraping his precious top 4; certainly at the end of last season after the embarrassing maulings, complete collapse yet the high of the FA Cup win (to name a few).

officepest

Post by officepest »

StuartL wrote:By the way the stadium has a long way to go before it is paid off - do you still want him here in his 80`s ?
Y'know, that's not a bad point. At what point do even the most ardent Arsene supporters legitimately think he should retire?

What If he lost his marbles but still insisted he could do a job at the age of 96 and decided to play a revolutionary 1-2-7 formation?
Last edited by officepest on Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CloakedGooner

Post by CloakedGooner »

Blood_Gooner wrote:A breath of fresh air this CloakedArsene is. Was really getting tired of reading the whiny comments from you miserable gits. :lol:

Hope you'll stick around and change the face of this depressing forum, Arsene. :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:
I'll certainly give it a go :barscarf:

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

Are you happy with the last ten years?

Do you think we are improving?

Most on here supported AW for a long time when we weren't winning anything, but how long do you think we should wait?
If we showed signs of improvement most would give him time, but we don't even look close to a PL or CL win.

officepest

Post by officepest »

CloakedGooner wrote:
officepest wrote:"He even got us to the Champions League final".

He has been financially tied up ever since! I can assure you that we will challenge for the title and champs league within 2 years now the stadium has been paid off. I beg you not to lose faith.
And I can assure you that we will never, ever challenge for neither the League title nor Champions League whilst Wenger remains in situ.

Both are equally subjective statements, grounded in nothing more than personal belief, but I think mine the more likely.

As for not losing faith: I'm afraid I lost that many, many years ago.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

GranadaJoe wrote:

Most on here supported AW for a long time when we weren't winning anything, but how long do you think we should wait?
If we showed signs of improvement most would give him time, but we don't even look close to a PL or CL win.
The vast majority of the time we no longer even play good football anymore - it is turgid, pedestrian and so hard to watch.

CloakedGooner

Post by CloakedGooner »

GranadaJoe wrote:

No gooners should be satisfied with the last ten years success. However, look. At it this way:- we have been financially hamstrung due to the stadium, yet we have always finished top four or higher (yes I know most on here hate the virtual trophy). However, keeping close to the other big teams who have more money to spend cannot be underestimated. Also if it weren't for the plastic chavs and Man City buying success, then we would have battled it out with United for the title every year. And lastly, even tho we suffer for it currently, the stadium ensures we will be able to compete financially with anyone when we turn the corner. Short term pain, for long term gain.

officepest

Post by officepest »

Cloaked:

Our wage bill is currently higher than Chelsea’s. The financial constraints argument doesn’t wash any more.

CloakedGooner

Post by CloakedGooner »

officepest wrote:Cloaked:

Our wage bill is currently higher than Chelsea’s. The financial constraints argument doesn’t wash any more.
Abramovich has spent OVER 1 BILLION pounds on them since 2003! Considering they finished 3rd I think the season before he came in, they weren't miles behind in the first place. If them and city hadn't spent such ridiculous amount of money, they would never be ahead of us right now. ie, we'd actually be on course for a league title. My point is, blame the way football has become, it's not wengers fault.