Who Should be Captain Next Season?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Who Should be Captain Next Season?

Jack
3%
BFG
21%
Ramsey
15%
Kos
33%
Alexis
6%
Cech
12%
Coq
3%
Santi
6%

Total votes: 33

OneBardGooner

Re: Who Should be Captain Next Season?

Post by OneBardGooner »

Voted for Kos - best choice at the moment...But Jack or Coq could well be Good Leaders in the future :barscarf:

augie

Post by augie »

I am a big supporter of democracy and everyone's voice being equal and all that bullshit ( :blah: ) but I am absolutely dumbfounded at how people can support the idea of installing a guy (coquelin) who was playing league one just 6 months ago, as club captain :shock: I doubt that there is one Gooner anywhere that could honestly say that they thought that he was good enough for The Arsenal last December - fair enough he has had an outstanding 2nd half of the season for us, but how many players in recent years have had golden spells like that only to drift away into mid level football clubs (senderos and djouru spring to mind) ? Personally I would much rather see him play to this level for a sustained longer period of time, before I would consider him as good enough to be first choice and MAYBE THEN we can see if he is captain material

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Alexis Sanchez.

He's a genuine star player yet he works harder than anyone else and will never give anything but his all. He's an inspirational character and a team player.

Plus he's a nailed on first teamer and (touch wood) isn't injury prone!

I think he'd love the added responsibility. 8)

augie

Post by augie »

g88ner wrote:Alexis Sanchez.

He's a genuine star player yet he works harder than anyone else and will never give anything but his all. He's an inspirational character and a team player.

Lack of the local lingo would be a problem surely ? Press conferences are all part of a captains responsibility

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

augie wrote:

Lack of the local lingo would be a problem surely ? Press conferences are all part of a captains responsibility
A captain should be picked for footballing reasons. Everything else can be worked around.

If Premier League managers can get by with interpreters every time they face the cameras then I see no reason why Sanchez can't do the same. Or simply pass that responsibility over to someone else - like Fergie did for years on MOTD.

No one wants to hear from the captain anyway. The media are only interested in Wenger.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Joe Cole, Kalou or Mexes.... any window now !! mark my words

hugh jardon

Post by hugh jardon »

Aaron Ramsey.

Always starts. A genuine match winner. Has displayed good character coming back from poor form in his earlier career to become one of the best players.

Part of the club's British core who will hopefully be at the club for the next ten years. Previously captain of Wales with 34 international caps. A top quality player who will attract other top signings to the club. Level headed and never in the press for the wrong reasons.

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

Good choice g88ner. Hadn't really considered him but your reasoning for choosing him is sound enough. 8)

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

augie wrote: (coquelin) who was playing league one just 6 months ago, as club captain :shock: I doubt that there is one Gooner anywhere that could honestly say that they thought that he was good enough for The Arsenal last December

G88ner and myself were praising his tackling technique, tenacity and work rate after his debut versus Barnet in 2008.
I then got criticised on here for stating he would be a bench player for us by the end of 2009 - 2010, then break into the first team the season after that, which was optimistic of me, but it has happened.
And others I know off the Forum rated him too.

With Wilshere injured, Arteta in a slump and then injured, Ramsey in poor form the first half of last season, Flamini not as good as the previous season and Diaby injured I argued on here that we should give Coquelin a chance rather than send him on loan again.
I wrote that he had a weakness in his game which was giving the ball away too easily, but if that could be corrected he had a future with us.

I am aware it does not read well and comes across as a "I told you so" but I think you have spoken for yourself here rather than for a general consensus amongst our fans.

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

augie wrote:I am a big supporter of democracy and everyone's voice being equal and all that bullshit ( :blah: ) but I am absolutely dumbfounded at how people can support the idea of installing a guy (coquelin) who was playing league one just 6 months ago, as club captain :shock: I doubt that there is one Gooner anywhere that could honestly say that they thought that he was good enough for The Arsenal last December - fair enough he has had an outstanding 2nd half of the season for us, but how many players in recent years have had golden spells like that only to drift away into mid level football clubs (senderos and djouru spring to mind) ? Personally I would much rather see him play to this level for a sustained longer period of time, before I would consider him as good enough to be first choice and MAYBE THEN we can see if he is captain material
The votes/opinion highlight just how bad the other options are, you backed Mertersacker who should be getting phased out of the side now and when the heat is on shows very little leadership IMO, it speaks volumes that a ayer who's been in the side from Jan gets my vote due to his passion and leadership.

Cech signing is another welcome addition to the leaders group which is not very big, anyone can look a leader when we are coasting through games but a real captain will stand up when we are not and we have very few of those characters.

augie

Post by augie »

Gunnersaurus wrote:
augie wrote:I am a big supporter of democracy and everyone's voice being equal and all that bullshit ( :blah: ) but I am absolutely dumbfounded at how people can support the idea of installing a guy (coquelin) who was playing league one just 6 months ago, as club captain :shock: I doubt that there is one Gooner anywhere that could honestly say that they thought that he was good enough for The Arsenal last December - fair enough he has had an outstanding 2nd half of the season for us, but how many players in recent years have had golden spells like that only to drift away into mid level football clubs (senderos and djouru spring to mind) ? Personally I would much rather see him play to this level for a sustained longer period of time, before I would consider him as good enough to be first choice and MAYBE THEN we can see if he is captain material
The votes/opinion highlight just how bad the other options are, you backed Mertersacker who should be getting phased out of the side now and when the heat is on shows very little leadership IMO, it speaks volumes that a ayer who's been in the side from Jan gets my vote due to his passion and leadership.

Cech signing is another welcome addition to the leaders group which is not very big, anyone can look a leader when we are coasting through games but a real captain will stand up when we are not and we have very few of those characters.

I agree with you and especially with the highlighted comments - I think that the home game against monaco highlighted the problem when not one player (including coquelin) stood up to be counted when they were needed most :roll: I have to admit that the thought of the quality players like ozil, sanchez and cazorla having to look up to coquelin doesnt sit right with me - proven quality internationals having less authority than someone with 5 months top flight experience and zero international caps :roll:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

I suppose it's a Coquelin type player that would make the ideal captain rather than championing the lad himself for captain as of right now. However, if he were to maintain the level of performance he produced for the last 6 months for the next 2 seasons then I would have absolutely no issue with him getting the armband at that point, in fact he'd be my number one pick.

Whether he can do that remains to be seen but injury aside I don't see why he can't. I would agree that making him captain as of right now would be way too soon, Kos it is then :barscarf:

I don't agree with whoever said earlier that there could be a club captain and an on field captain. That's BS in my book and I would hate to see a situation where Arteta remains "club captain" and Kos was to take over the arm band just for matches.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Diaby should be next captain, it'll be the only way we get rid of him for good :D :D

Isn't Arteta still at the club?

rigsby

Post by rigsby »

I went with Santi, he had poor moments this season
:shock: :shock: :shock: did you watch us?

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

We have 11 captains.

:barscarf: :barscarf: