THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
foxinthebox2001

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

But what Wenger is arguing is Monaco did not indicate Martial was available, so we didn't put in a bid, not even a derisory one.
In any case does anyone still believe so much as syllable that drops from his lips.
He has been outed again as a liar over the Cech fiasco.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

foxinthebox2001 wrote:But what Wenger is arguing is Monaco did not indicate Martial was available, so we didn't put in a bid, not even a derisory one.
In any case does anyone still believe so much as syllable that drops from his lips.
Fair point. We know he talks a lot of bollocks so we dismiss much of what he says but, when it suits us, we happily use his words as evidence. :rubchin:

If you listen to his press conference though, when he said Monaco told him Martial was not for sale, it was said in a "what more could we do?" sort of way, as if being told a player is not for sale is enough to send us packing.

But for me, getting deals over the line should be a job for Gazidis and Law (and Dein before them), not Wenger! - so this whole debate reflects very badly on Gazidis and Law.

I'm annoyed the press didn't ask follow up questions to his "not for sale" comment as it was the most interesting part of the press conference and may have shed light on why we struggle so much in the transfer market :evil:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

foxinthebox2001 wrote:But what Wenger is arguing is Monaco did not indicate Martial was available, so we didn't put in a bid, not even a derisory one.

This Martial saga is a good insight into the thinking of Wenger,

This is a player he has been monitoring for years, sine he left Lyon

He was manger at Monaco so must have some contacts as to what is happening at the club

And yet he comes out with the comment "Lyon said they would not sell him"

Think at the least he is uneconomical with the truth, not for the first time i add, seems to pass off these comments pacify the fans which he holds in total disdain

EC3

Post by EC3 »

Wenger moaning at journalists not preparing correctly for the interviews.

I'd love it if one had replied "you mean like your defence Arsene"

One did ask "how?" to which Wenger never replied.

He's feeling the heat alright and if Arsenal don't put in a performance tomorrow, then just like the Villa game the atmosphere will turn nasty.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

EC3 wrote:Wenger moaning at journalists not preparing correctly for the interviews.

I'd love it if one had replied "you mean like your defence Arsene"

One did ask "how?" to which Wenger never replied.

He's feeling the heat alright and if Arsenal don't put in a performance tomorrow, then just like the Villa game the atmosphere will turn nasty.
And when it does turn slightly poisonous, just watch those same journos who are grilling him now recoil in mock shock at those 'morons' who aren't proper fans. Barclay, Cross and some of those other part times in the Standard will soon be telling us all to be careful what we wish for and pundits will be telling us how he's earned the right to decide when he leaves

EC3

Post by EC3 »

To be fair i read Barclay article this week and i was surprised how critical he was of Wenger.

Journos won't keep him in a job, if the crowd turn then eventually his job becomes untenable.

Regardless of what some say about our crowd being tourists etc, there is a significant number that aren't and there have been times when they have made it uncomfortable for a player and Wenger.

Time will tell, but tomorrow is a huge game for Wenger and he needs players to turn up.

That said, we all know the players are good enough, the problem is they are so up and down, which is not good enough.

foxinthebox2001

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

Those close ups of Wenger in the press conference, just as the 'under pressure' questions were asked are fascinating.
You can see little tics and flinches in his eyes that he knows this is going somewhere he wont like.
You can see the emotion rising, he would really have loved to have been able to stand up and say 'how dare you non football people have the temerity to question my decisions'.

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

EC3 wrote:To be fair i read Barclay article this week and i was surprised how critical he was of Wenger.

Journos won't keep him in a job, if the crowd turn then eventually his job becomes untenable.

Regardless of what some say about our crowd being tourists etc, there is a significant number that aren't and there have been times when they have made it uncomfortable for a player and Wenger.

Time will tell, but tomorrow is a huge game for Wenger and he needs players to turn up.

That said, we all know the players are good enough, the problem is they are so up and down, which is not good enough.
I'm sorry, but it's laughable for anyone to suggest that the crowd will ever turn on Wenger. As SteveO pointed out, there is usually only a small crowd left to boo when we lose, and the AKB'S are so deluded that we could lose 10 in a row, and if we won the 11th game they would be chanting "one Arsene Wenger". Wenger is absolutely shameless so no matter the embarrassment we go through((8-2, 6-0, 5-1) Wenger will be here until he is told to fuck off.

EC3

Post by EC3 »

BFG4 wrote:
EC3 wrote:To be fair i read Barclay article this week and i was surprised how critical he was of Wenger.

I'm sorry, but it's laughable for anyone to suggest that the crowd will ever turn on Wenger. As SteveO pointed out, there is usually only a small crowd left to boo when we lose, and the AKB'S are so deluded that we could lose 10 in a row, and if we won the 11th game they would be chanting "one Arsene Wenger". Wenger is absolutely shameless so no matter the embarrassment we go through((8-2, 6-0, 5-1) Wenger will be here until he is told to fuck off.
Disagree, i'm a season ticket holder and have been for many years and although the crowd has remained mainly loyal there are times when a significant number have voiced disapproval, the Villa game being a particular time.

I sense people are growing tired of seeing repeatedly the same mistakes and issues, which are not being rectified.

His inactivity in this summers transfer market, his excuses and explanations are wearing very thin, there comes a point when more and more people say this is enough.

In my opinion that point has been coming for a little while.

augie

Post by augie »

The martial "no offer" sums up what I have said for a long, long time.....we would never have signed ozil or sanchez (and more recently cech) were they not being hawked around ebay by their clubs :roll: The akb were proclaiming that wenker and the club had changed their philosophies and that these big signings had proved it, but the reality is that these players fell into their laps by a combination of clubs wanting to sell them and a lack of viable alternatives. I dont think we will ever see the day again, where we make a serious play for an established top quality player and dont back down until we sign him :( So basically when le cock says that there is no quality players available, what he means is that no top club has rung him up offering to sell a top player to him :oops: :oops: :evil:

armchair

Post by armchair »

Redarmy wrote:

This Martial saga is a good insight into the thinking of Wenger,

This is a player he has been monitoring for years, sine he left Lyon

He was manger at Monaco so must have some contacts as to what is happening at the club

And yet he comes out with the comment "Lyon said they would not sell him"

Think at the least he is uneconomical with the truth, not for the first time i add, seems to pass off these comments pacify the fans which he holds in total disdain
This is another example of Wenger lying to us to try to save face. He knew exactly what was going on with Martial. The problem is he is too cowardly and tight-fisted to spend that kind of money on a young player. No he likes to spend fuckall and bring in injured shite like Sanogo so if it all goes tits up then its "no harm no foul"

He really is a horrible, poisonous, arrogant, lying pos and the longer he stays as manager the more harm he is doing to us.

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

EC3- I'm not arguing that the fans don't get pissed off, but it's generally the exception. Go back to last season, we lost to Swansea and had the embarrassing 3-3 draw with Anderlecht but when we beat West Brom 1-0, all was rosey in the garden. We even had huge criticism for the fans who displayed the anti-Wenger banner. As I said, it doesn't matter what game we win, once we do, that's enough to appease the wengerites.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

A lot of managers chat a lot of shit. Granted what Wenger comes out with is particularly outrageous and unfathomable but ultimately fans will turn a blind eye to stuff like that if the results on the pitch are there. It only becomes a problem when they aren't.

The journalist pushed it far but I am surprised that a few people on here are opposing that given how desperate this place is for him to be a real 'grilling'. Wenger said over the summer that Cech was the only played we needed/could find that could improve the squad, so when he then leaves him out of a must-win game in a competition which Wenger has sacrificed so much for over the last decade he deserves to get some tough questions on that. And I don't know anybody on here who hasn't complained about his lack of accountability so well done to that bloke for pressing him on it.

Wenger notoriously answers any question and seems to think that a journalist posing a question gives him a free pass to say what he wants about other managers, other players etc. He will happily comment on everybody else's affairs so it's pretty hypocritical of him to threaten to throw his toys out of the pram because he's being asked to comment on his own fuck-ups.

Wenger will still not walk away but the one thing which visibly riles him is being challenged directly, whether that be by journalists giving him a tough time or fans booing. Nice to see him squirm.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

augie wrote:The martial "no offer" sums up what I have said for a long, long time.....we would never have signed ozil or sanchez (and more recently cech) were they not being hawked around ebay by their clubs :roll:
I genuinely don't understand your eye rolling views on Ozil, Sanchez and Cech. You've said it countless times before and I'm still baffled.

Real Madrid and Barcelona are the biggest clubs on the planet whereas Chelsea are rich and our London rivals. It's unrealistic to expect us to sign players from them when they don't want to sell.

It's more of an issue when going for players outside of the elite clubs, as being told "not for sale" shouldn't be enough to put us off going back in for Suarez or Martial (if we wanted him) or any other player for that matter.

We're a very big club with a bulging bank balance and we should be showing our muscle - but there's limits to that, and getting the best talents from Real Madrid, Barca, Bayern, Man Utd, City and Sp*rs is probably beyond us unless they have a good reason to sell, as they did with Ozil, Alexis and Cech.

Genuine question Augie, what circumstance of signing an elite player from Real Madrid, Barca and Cheslea would not see you end the comment with an eye roll? ( i.e. :roll: )

armchair

Post by armchair »